GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 83 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-21-17, 09:40 PM   #821
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!**

Herro.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-17, 04:31 PM   #822
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Still doing the break-in thang**

Herro indeed...

Yet again it's been a long time since I was here, since shortly before Canada actually, so here's a few photos from our time there. Canada has a lot to offer and we saw lots of cool things between Montreal and Ottawa. We were there for the 2017 Canadian GP and it was awesome and of course filled with drama; not as much as previous GPs, but still exciting! Circuit Gilles Villenueve is built on the man-made Il Notre Dame in the middle of the Saint Lawrence river and originally hosted the World Expo all the way back in 1967. It's now public grounds and you can traverse the whole island, including the track(when it's not the race weekend of course!). Canadians love their motorsports and it was great to be around so many like-minded fans. There are dozens of events all around the city where they shut down streets to have people come through and have giant parties, which we attended. All the people around us in the stands were having tons of conversations about motorsports and I had to jump in naturally...

Here's the view after getting out of the subway station on the island, you can see the Expo biodome in the background:

Here was our view of turns 1 and 2 from Grandstand 11:

We had a great view to the action! I didn't take many pictures during the sessions though because I was busy recording and watching it all unfold.

One of the many fan signs around the track; this one was on our grandstand and probably the funniest one all weekend:

At one point between the events, we walked down to the stands on start/finish across from the pits. Here's McLaren's garages and Williams' Felipe Massa's garage on the right:

There are many events at the track during the GP weekend, like Porsche Cup racing, Ferrari Challenge series, and at this point we were trackside to hear and watch the FIA Master's Historics cars run the track. For those that don't know, old race cars including the old F1 cars from the past eras still race to this day and are put through their paces by the owners/teams that still watch over the old beasts. I cannot put into words how awesome it was to hear and see them. There were turbo Lotuses, McLarens, Ferraris, Tyrells, and much more. So fucking loud and gnarly; I always think about what it would have been like to see them during F1's golden age - pure history right there.

We saw lots of great things like I said. In Ottawa, we went to the Canadian Air and Space Museum, which was a great time. I live 25 mins from SAC Museum here in Omaha which has great displays, but the CAS was very impressive. I finally got to see one of my favorite planes, the Bf109 G-4, in Trop camo!

Behind that is an Avro Lancaster, and on the left was an HE-162! Couldn't believe they had one, and this was in original unrestored patina!

If you find yourself in Montreal and it's a nice time of the year, you absolutely have to go on the Saute Moutons St. Lawrence river jet boat tour. Holy shit that was a blast and the river is so nuts; they put those boats into whitewater breaks that are 8-12ft tall! You WILL get soaked!

Anyways.....on to the car....
Not as much driving as I'd like to do since it's been so miserable outside and the car runs a warm idle as it is with the closed-deck having a small effect on coolant flow, but shortly before Canada the chassis rolled over to 31k. At this time, the motor has 650 miles on it, so we're getting closer to a point where I'd feel comfortable getting the car a proper tune. I'm seeing some momentary knock in certain gears/RPM/throttle input, but I'm sure that will be investigated at tune time. Also still have the refueling problem that needs to be sorted out, something's up in the EVAP system and has been since I got the car. Been keeping a close eye on the vitals, and there doesn't seem to be any oil consumption thus far, so I'd say the rings are seating nicely. I changed the oil at 500 miles and sent a sample off to Blackstone and gave them as much info as I could about the project and what factors would come into play, and this is what they have to say:

Once we have a good tune going, I'll consider my plan for getting ready for E85 and all the parts I'll be needing for that.

I got the AC recharged(yay!)and the Takata airbag recall replacement performed at Baxter. I'm glad that the used AC compressor is doing fine and not leaking or seized from having the internals exposed to air for a while. I sealed the ports on it while it sat before going on the car, but it was not shipped to me like that. And best of all, no more squealing like my old one! The next day we went to the annual Boxers at Baxter two weekends ago and was surprised by the amount of people that checked out the car and asked me about it. So I guess people like it?

Not really anything else to report other than I need to install the new suspension, but I need to find time when Matt and Rick can come help me do that, then an alignment after all that's done. I really want to get a set of ZE40s, but that will have to wait til I find employment. The SSRs do need new rubber badly though, so we'll see when that happens.

I'll be doing the rounds to everyone else's journals here shortly.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-24-17 at 04:46 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-04-17, 02:37 PM   #823
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Matt and I did a 10/20psi boost leak test last week since he has a bigger compressor and all that. We found some small leaks in the boost and vac lines and the TB coupler. All fixed...

Recently chatted with some Subaru mechanics and ran some things by them about some of the things on my mind and they mentioned to start at the front purge solenoid to see if that's what's causing the fuel-up issue and the weird random idle issue I've been having.

Looks like this next Saturday will be the suspension install day - decent-sized list of stuff to go on. Gonna order some PU swaybar bushings F/R and some other last minute things. Matt and Rick will be here, so hopefully we can get it done in a reasonable timeframe. The goal is -1.5in or so up front and -.50 to -.75in in the rear for ride height. Should be attainable, nothing slammed or anything. I'll get an alignment pretty soon after that.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 09-04-17 at 02:43 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-17, 05:05 AM   #824
BlueScooby
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to see you're getting the car sorted! Once its reliable then you can really start enjoying it

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-17, 08:19 AM   #825
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Is this car broken in yet?!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-17, 09:20 AM   #826
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Funny you ask....yes and no. I've been super busy with things lately and trying to find time to make an update post has been difficult.

More to come tonight; I'll be posting an update tonight.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-17, 10:24 PM   #827
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Long post time...for those who've been following...I say, gat-DAMN it's been a LONG time since I updated here. I've been quite busy since mid-September with my new contract position at Google; it's been an interesting experience so far. I'm working at the datacenters over in Iowa actually. Getting up to speed and getting familiar with all of it has taken a lot of time. The commute really sucks and I'm not too keen on putting the miles so quickly onto my new....

...daily driver!

Yeeeeessss. That's right! I finally have a new daily in the form of a 2017 Focus ST! I know I know, you may be thinking, "why didn't he just get a WRX?!". Well I already have a Subaru (duh!) and I didn't really want another one. Life's too short to own the same car. I wanted something fun and sporty and was a manual trans; and I'd also never had a hatch before. I wanted to try something new for a change. It was between this, a GTI, WRX, or a MINI Cooper S/JCW. GTIs are cool and I wanted to get into the Euro camp finally, but the maintenance costs were kinda off-putting. MINIs are euro-cool too, but they are pretty pricey and can eat oil/have oiling issues.

I was originally gonna go for a used one, had no interest in getting new, but it would have been a pain in the ass to go out of town to get the one I was looking at. I had to have Oxford White and an ST3. I was looking for a long time; there aren't many out there lightly used/low mileage. I got this ST3 for a ridiculously good deal so I pounced. It's my first new car ever, so I'm pretty pumped and it feels good to not feel like a broke-ass college kid on a daily basis. Sold the Oldsmobile pretty quickly and haven't looked back. Woulda had a car earlier in the year if it weren't for getting laid off, which I'm still sore about...but eh, here we are.

On to the STi...let's see here...well back in early September, we got the Fortune Auto 510s installed along with all the other suspension components. Ended up getting the Whiteline rear sway mounts and F/R PU sway bushings. There definitely were some issues that came about and of course there needed some adjusting and fine-tuning with ride height for sure, but we pushed through and worked it all out.

One issue was that the SuperPro front endlinks don't fit with an aftermarket front bar as you can see:

So I had to reuse the stock endlinks. Not really confident how they'll hold up with a larger, stiffer bar so I'll be ordering different ones sometime next year.

Also, it appears that I may not be able to go to a wider wheel due to possible clearance issues with the coilovers, but we'll see.

Soon after that was completed, I went and got an alignment at Baxter. -1.6 up front and -1.5 in the rear. May get it adjusted again sometime to match all around if I do a corner balance next season. I had them install the RCA kit at the same time. The reason I didn't install it myself was because I didn't know the Company23 ball joint removal tool existed before and wouldn't have gotten it in time. I wasn't sure that I would have been able to get very far and also not be able to reverse my work and get the car on the road safely, so I just played it safe and had them do it.

Here it is with the original ride height I went for, no more monstertruckin':

Between that pic and the next few, the springs settled almost another 1/8":

It looked cool that's for sure, but after lightly scraping the V-Limited lip a couple times on my driveway - which is nuts because I don't even have a curb(I'm still really pissed I did that though) - I HAD to raise it; it was stressing me out too much driving around like that. I honestly don't know how people ride around lower than me and static; dumbass stance kids...*grumble*

The car is much more....how should I say...planted? now. Much more stable with spirited cornering. A lot more flat. I don't get the bobblehead effect as much opposed to the stock setup. It'll be fun to throw it around on track eventually. Even with the 510s on 6 clicks from full soft and the sway bars, I've lifted a wheel pulling some steep angles on driveways! So I've been careful to not do that and not binding up the diffs, because I've heard it chatter at me when not in gear, not cool.
The Recaros in the ST literally suck you in and hold so much better than the STi seats, so maybe I'll be replacing those next year, we'll see. But definitely on the slate is new RE-71R tires, getting some harnesses and a helmet then hopefully, FINALLY get some track time with it.

So this past Saturday, like I said, I raised the front by about 2/3". The midpipe resonator still hangs real low though; not much I can do about that. Also finally installed SSR hub rings on the wheels, it was dumb to run around this whole time without 'em. You can see the car is raised in these pics from a meet yesterday:

I got a bunch of people flocking to the car and asking questions and lots of compliments, so it's nice to have the time and effort - of not just me but other people who have helped along the way - pay off in that manner.

I'm still super-pleased with the Blitz Nur Spec Touring CBE. It sounds soooo good. The EWG is fun too. I made a rich kid in his E60 M5 shutup yesterday when he sped up to me only to rev at me for some reason. He had his window down and he came alongside me, so I let him have it for a few seconds with the EWG. He wasn't ready for it and I laughed. I know his V10 would trounce me but that's not the point

Kind of bittersweet though, because I put the car away yesterday as well. So when I said yes and no earlier: yes because it now has 1050 miles on the motor, but no because it's likely not getting out on the road 'til next season. After the solenoid replacement and more fill-ups, that post-fueling startup problem seems gone. Also haven't thrown a CEL for the pesky evap leak since then. Still no leaks which is good, been checking a lot for sure.

Looking to next year, hopefully we can get some dyno time and work on tuning out some issues and make some adjustments, but overall the car seems very healthy and eager to make some power. Can't wait to see how we do, should be fun to find out how the car performs.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 10-30-17 at 10:31 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 10-31-17, 07:49 AM   #828
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

You do remember you are on a base map and I haven't had any logs with any real boost, right?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-31-17, 08:59 AM   #829
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, of course. I thought I've sent you some logs with boost though. I have some on the AP. I'll get them to you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-31-17, 09:22 AM   #830
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, you did give me a few logs with the low boost I asked for (which isn't the "real" boost I am referring to). It's not a map for you to be racing on (or showing off a few seconds of EWG) without double checking to see where it is at. That said, you're on a base map and should treat is such. Racing other cars isn't something a base map is for.

Also, if you raised the car after alignment, you need a new alignment.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement