GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 80 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 03-07-17, 05:12 AM   #791
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran, but it was a mixed bag**

You're right Blue however I'm kind of a noob when it comes to how it should be set up initially and tweaked to the right parameters. I've read about all I can on the topic, but I guess there's only so much I can read and the rest comes by just nutting up and doing it.

Trust me Jason, I'd love to do that, really. I know it'd be a good time. I'm sure I can make that happen this year as soon as we figure out the cooling and stumbling idle issue. But I also have neither a truck nor a trailer to get it out there.

I suppose a bigger turbo really isn't off the table, but just wanna see what the car can do as is. I'll probably be happy with it for a while, but we'll see. I still can't believe you can fit larger turbos back there. When I was getting everything to fit back together, it seemed like a bit of a pain.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-17, 07:35 PM   #792
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!**

Hey everyone, it seems like it's been forever since there was some really good news to come out of this camp....but alas, I have some...

I hope I'm not speaking too soon here, but at this point I believe I have a healthy running car.

What's this, you say?

Indeed, last night Matt came over and helped me out. We did a short boost leak test, but it could've been more thorough however. Since I have a piddly air compressor, we weren't able to charge the intake tract by much before it lost a bunch of air and had to turn on to pressurize. I sprayed around the motor with solution, as much as I could but I didn't see any noticeable leaks. That doesn't mean there aren't any though. I may have to revisit that later once I throw some boost at it...

But after that we decided to bleed the coolant. Definitely had to put more in to replace what boiled out back in Dec. Putting on the Lisle funnel and then priming the car a couple times, found out the battery was low on charge so we got the battery out of his car to hook up to mine. After that it turned right over and the car fired up without a hitch.

Going over the car and looking for leaks, squeezing hoses, and giving it some revs, temps stayed way lower for longer this time; it didn't get hot as quickly this time and there was heat coming out of the vents. So it seems it was as simple as air in the coolant. Typical...

Looking at the AP and my gauges, everything stayed in reasonable ranges - A/Fs were mostly ok as well, a bit lean at idle but at rev, right at 14.4-14.8 stable. And the best part? Not once did it stumble...the entire time. It was smooth idle, and smooth coming back down from revs and then right back to stable idle. The motor was very quiet as well for having forged internals, very smooth-sounding.

Matt sat in the car and revved while I went out back and listened since I was too stressed and running around the first time I did all this, but let me tell you....it sounds amazing I mean really amazing. I'll prove it by uploading some vids later on. You can really hear the turbo with the CAI and even a little spooldown through the exhaust. The pops/burbles on the down revs are really something else in person. Matt agreed After that we had some beers and hung out for a while. Well-deserved. It seems silly now all the worry and doubt that I had.

In any case, we'll see what happens next month when I insure it and plan on starting the break-in driving on the road. Huge thanks to Jason, Matt, Rick, IAG, and all the support from the IWSTI members so far. For the first time in a long time I'm in a really great mood. This project has been weighing on me personally for quite a while and it feels good that things are looking up.

'til later.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 03-28-17 at 06:11 AM.
Likes 13 Dislikes 0

Old 03-26-17, 08:02 PM   #793
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Hey everyone, it seems like it's been forever since there was some really good news to come out of this camp....but alas, I have some...

I hope I'm not speaking too soon here, but at this point I believe I have a healthy running car.

What's this, you say?

Indeed, last night Matt came over and helped me out. We did a short boost leak test, but it could've been more thorough however. Since I have a piddly air compressor, we weren't able to charge the intake tract by much before it lost a bunch of air and had to turn on to pressurize. I sprayed around the motor with solution, as much as I could but I didn't see any noticeable leaks. That doesn't mean there aren't any though. I may have to revisit that later once I throw some boost at it...

But after that we decided to bleed the coolant. Definitely had to put more in to replace what boiled out back in Dec. Putting on the Lisle funnel and then priming the car a couple times, found out the battery was low on charge so we got the battery out of his car to hook up to mine. After that it turned right over and the car fired up without a hitch.

Going over the car and looking for leaks, squeezing hoses, and giving it some revs, temps stayed way lower for longer this time; it didn't get hot as quickly this time and there was heat coming out of the vents. So it seems it was as simple as air in the coolant. Typical...

Looking at the AP and my gauges, everything stayed in reasonable ranges - A/Fs were mostly ok as well,a bit lean at idle but at rev, right at 14.4-14.8 stable. And the best part? Not once did it stumble...the entire time. It was smooth idle, and smooth coming back down from revs and then right back to stable idle. The motor was very quiet as well for having forged internals, very smooth-sounding.

Matt sat in the car and revved while I went out back and listened since I was too stressed and running around the first time I did all this, but let me tell you....it sounds amazing I mean really amazing. I'll prove it by uploading some vids later on. You can really hear the turbo with the CAI and even a little spooldown through the exhaust. The pops/burbles on the down revs are really something else in person. Matt agreed After that we had some beers and hung out for a while. Well-deserved. It seems silly now all the worry and doubt that I had.

In any case, we'll see what happens next month when I insure it and plan on starting the break-in driving on the road. Huge thanks to Jason, Matt, Rick, IAG, and all the support from the IWSTI members so far. For the first time in a long time I'm in a really great mood. This project has been weighing on me personally for a quite a while and it feels good that things are looking up.

'til later.
Good to hear

Been following for awhile, seemed time to make a first comment.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-17, 09:00 PM   #794
Matt,
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Matt, is on a distinguished road

Yay! Go drive it dude!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-26-17, 10:15 PM   #795
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Glad to hear you got it where it needs to be and that Matt came out to lend a hand! I really look forward to dialing in the car. If that turbo really give the VF39 and extra kick, you're going to have some fun, but I predict an upgrade (Matt knows what I'm talking about).

Gavin, you'll want to update your ATR install and resend me the folder. There is an update that requires the AP to be able to complete. The last time a car/ATR customer needed such a big upgrade, the previous version kept slightly changing numbers when I would save. It would play havoc with the MAF.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-27-17, 04:04 AM   #796
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Thats awesome! Glad to hear its up and running

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 03-27-17, 09:08 AM   #797
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Good to hear, Gavin!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-17, 06:06 AM   #798
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks everyone!

Jason, I will send you the files soon. I am eager to have you look at it closer and come out there this year with 'er. I will find a way to do that, most likely after Canada. I think I'll have a good time with it for a while before I think about touching it again haha.

I also forgot to mention that I found out I could exchange my v5 Fortune Auto 500 set back to Fortune directly and pay a nominal fee to upgrade to v6 510s. They'll have a brand new 5 year warranty on them since the last set burned almost 3 years just sitting in the box. The v6 series has some updates and improvements over the previous gen that I thought would be worth it. I also elected to go with Swift springs in 9K/8K rates F/R. I should be getting them in hand in about 3-4 weeks.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-17, 06:35 AM   #799
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Thanks everyone!

Jason, I will send you the files soon. I am eager to have you look at it closer and come out there this year with 'er. I will find a way to do that, most likely after Canada. I think I'll have a good time with it for a while before I think about touching it again haha.

I also forgot to mention that I found out I could exchange my v5 Fortune Auto 500 set back to Fortune directly and pay a nominal fee to upgrade to v6 510s. They'll have a brand new 5 year warranty on them since the last set burned almost 3 years just sitting in the box. The v6 series has some updates and improvements over the previous gen that I thought would be worth it. I also elected to go with Swift springs in 9K/8K rates F/R. I should be getting them in hand in about 3-4 weeks.
Very glad to hear that the car is up and running!

You'll have to let me know what you think of the 510's with 9k/8k swifts - that's exactly what I'm thinking of replacing my RCE T0's with.

Congrats man, about time you had some good news for us.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-17, 06:24 PM   #800
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'll be updating here for sure when I get the suspension installed and set up. Excited to see how it handles.

I know, it's been a long time coming.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement