GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 79 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 01-13-17, 10:48 AM   #781
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran, but it was a mixed bag**

Been a while since I stopped by. Hope everyone's doing good.

The 2018's are going to look even more Evo-y and blah. Glad I'm not spending the money on one.

Nothing else to report really, other than Toni and I are heading up to Canada in June for the Montreal F1 GP at Circuit Gilles Villenueve; super excited to finally be going to a race. Tickets were a lot more affordable than I thought they would be, but still not cheap. I guess it's good that the CAD is pretty low right now to the USD. Can't believe it took this long but it certainly won't be the last! I plan to go to other venues around the world eventually, especially the historic tracks like Monza, Nurburgring/Hockenheim, Spa, and Silverstone.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 01-13-17 at 11:23 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-17, 12:31 PM   #782
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Let me know for Hockenheimring & Nürburgring
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-17, 12:48 PM   #783
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

So jealous!!! I want to hit a few grand prix's too but it will probably be a while till it happens...

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-17, 01:42 PM   #784
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Is this project getting going again yet?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 01:39 AM   #785
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, Gavin, you owe us
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 06:09 AM   #786
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

I know, I know....Seems like I've been dead. I've been waiting til it gets warmer here to spend any amount of time in the garage, but it looks like that's now happening, so I'll be out there rather soon. I got pretty burnt out on the car and definitely wanted to take a break after that night in December. Since I walk by the car daily going out to my DD, I'd grumble to myself and curse it whenever that happened, but lately I've really missed it; I really need to wrap this up.

That said, I took a long hard look underneath a couple days ago, and the one small drip that remained after the test fires seems to be gone. I'll be looking to do a boost leak test soon.

I know I may be blaspheming here, but for a while there I was seriously considering getting the car running smoothly then selling it and probably getting a Focus RS as the new toy, but I decided I'm just going to keep it for the time being and get a newer DD. So after I come back from Canada, I'll be getting the ball rolling on getting a slightly used Focus ST.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 07:06 AM   #787
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

From what I hear / read about the Focus RS...
I would not want one for track duty. The STI is the more reliable car...

There seems to be an issue that the head bolts stretch, lifting the cylinder head and the head gasket says bye bye if you have the car retuned. Sounds familiar, right?

Also there is a recall here in germany which is about high oil consumption during high rev driving (racetrack). The official letter says the oil consumption could result in low oil levels and permanent engine damage because of oil starvation.
Their SOLUTION: Reprogramm of the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)...whatever that has to do with reducing oil consumption.

Anyway, yes the warmer weather is doing wonders in terms of motivation to work on the car

Keep it up Gavin, you'll have it out rolling sooner than later and will laugh at the hurdels left behind
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 08:32 AM   #788
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks for the pep talk Ben haha. I'm sure looking back on it I'm going to laugh at myself for getting stressed out so much over it. I just can't believe it's been almost 2 years now...damn. My idea with getting an RS would just be to enjoy it on the street. I say that now.....but I've heard about some issues yeah.

I bought the suspension components all the way back in 2014 and still haven't installed them. My idea was to save it all for when I really got the car apart and could do it all at once. That didn't happen. Hopefully I can get it all swapped out this year.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 02:38 PM   #789
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck man, FWIW, suspension stuff is much simpler to work on

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 03:42 PM   #790
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Get it together and bring it out here for some fun. I wish you had gone with a bigger turbo though. Hell, if you do come out, we can even knock out the suspension here.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement