GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 78 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 12-19-16, 06:27 PM   #771
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran, but it was a mixed bag**

See Gavin, tell Matt to get his ass over there! And he'll bring beer too!

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-16, 05:38 AM   #772
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Did you get the Lisle Spill-Free Funnel? Not necessary for coolant burping, but sure as hell makes it easy. If not, suggest it to anyone looking for a last-minute gift idea for you

Idle issues on a startup map/fresh build aren't uncommon but do a boost/vacuum leak test for sure.

Glad to hear the gaskets seem to have sealed up!

The swaintech will never stay clean. Hit it with VHT hi-temp and touch up as necessary.

Overall, sounds like a pretty successful first start! My nerves were shot both times on the first few starts after dropping the engine back in, so I wouldn't say it unjustified. Just don't shave any time off your lifespan from the stress, it's not worth it
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-16, 06:04 AM   #773
Delphi
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: 6 Speed
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Delphi will become famous soon enough

Good to hear it is running. Crappy deal about all the hiccups along the way but good on you for taking a step back. Putting expectations on yourself usually always kills it. The car is supposed to be fun and a hobby. It will kick you in the nuts almost every step of the way. Why? Because you care about it. You could work on other peoples cars and build engines on the side without a single hitch. And I am not saying someone doesn't care about the work they're putting in on other peoples things. It's just.. Different.

When it is your own thing you go that little extra step and you see and know every single flaw along the way. You second guess every single thing you have done right before you turn that key on the first start.

Take a break, keep it fresh, so it is not a constant fist fight. And don't set a deadline like everyone says. It will almost always be missed regardless of effort put into it.

Also PS, never have a rad cap on after having no coolant in it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-16, 06:16 AM   #774
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_05_STi View Post
Did you get the Lisle Spill-Free Funnel? Not necessary for coolant burping, but sure as hell makes it easy. If not, suggest it to anyone looking for a last-minute gift idea for you

Idle issues on a startup map/fresh build aren't uncommon but do a boost/vacuum leak test for sure.

Glad to hear the gaskets seem to have sealed up!

The swaintech will never stay clean. Hit it with VHT hi-temp and touch up as necessary.

Overall, sounds like a pretty successful first start! My nerves were shot both times on the first few starts after dropping the engine back in, so I wouldn't say it unjustified. Just don't shave any time off your lifespan from the stress, it's not worth it
It's a full map.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-16, 07:09 AM   #775
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
It's a full map.
OS? Or did he pay to unlock ATR?

I'm thinking I'm going to take tuning into my own hands next year, at least for e85. Been reading through Cobb's and bad noodle's tuning guides, and I've dabbled in tuning before, just never on a Subaru.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-16, 07:35 AM   #776
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

He took the class so I spent the time to make a 95% complete map. A couple logs when it's driving and it'll be 99% (they're never 100% ).

If you can tune a Subaru without it blowing up, your chances are good at tuning anything else. Let me know if you want any help.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-16, 01:11 PM   #777
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the words everyone, hope you're all having a good holiday.

Yes Kyle, I got the Lisle funnel and was using it the night I started it. It's a handy tool, but dad didn't replace it on the reservoir when he took the cap off....

I'm not going to be surprised if it's the composite TGVs that are where the leaks are at. We'll see what happens in the spring.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-16, 01:32 PM   #778
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

RTV all the things!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-16, 01:32 PM   #779
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

BTW, I can probably come out during spring.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-16, 10:40 AM   #780
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

That's cool, just let me know when of course. I'll be here
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement