GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 77 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 12-05-16, 06:32 AM   #761
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Sunday is the big day**

Tuesday and/or Saturday seems to look good for weather in your area... Unless they dumped salt everywhere already.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-16, 07:15 AM   #762
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I was actually looking at the forecast just now. Seems the roads are drying up but no, doesn't look like they've dropped salt yet.

Can't do it Saturday, I'll be in Denver, remember?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-06-16, 05:49 AM   #763
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Why not start it up and burp the cooling system while stationary? Gives you a good opportunity to check everything for leaks, too.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-16, 06:29 AM   #764
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

He started it up last night. He'll get everything sorted... Just needs to step back and relax a bit to clear the mind.

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 10:15 AM   #765
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Any updates?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 01:13 PM   #766
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Nothing's changed since I came out your way and filled you in.

But for others who aren't aware, back on Dec. 5th I started the car. Sorry about the lack of updates for anyone following. I took a break for a bit there. It was a bit of a mixed bag as far as how it all went.

First - it ran. I was kind of stressed that night anyways to make sure I had everything in order, and this being the first time I've done anything like this, I was nervous as well. Did a last check of all the hoses and lines, loaded the map, overfilled a tad on the oil(since the motor was dry) and as much coolant as I could and then did some priming. I was a little worried though that the idiot light(from the OEM oil pressure sensor) didn't come on at all, even before the priming, so not sure what was up there. During the priming cycles, I was watching the Autometer sensor like a hawk and it wasn't registering anything at all during that time, so I was even more worried I wasn't getting any oil pressure. On about the 11th or 12th cycle, I decided to turn it over, but the car needed some coercion. There might have been some air in the fuel lines that I hadn't given a chance to purge yet, but after a few stumbles it started up and the pressure gauge immediately jumped to 90psi, which was reassuring.

It steadily went down as the car ran more, across the three runtimes(about 8-10 mins each) I put it through. However, during the second and third runtimes, it started to develop a very unsteady idle, where RPMs would hold and then drop suddenly about every 5 seconds or so, and the AFRs would go from to stoich to lean on RPM drop. Pretty sure there's an air leak somewhere. I only had my dad helping me out at the time, which was not the best idea. He's an old-school car guy and doesn't know Subarus. For some reason he decided to pull off the upper reservoir cap to "help" bleed air and I didn't know, so as the car started getting hot, about a quart or so of coolant came boiling out and got all over the passenger side components and head. I was pretty pissed at that point and called it a night. We cleaned up as much as possible, but there's still a decent amount sitting on top of the block in the casting pockets and all that. Some got on the hot exhaust manifold and burned into the coating a little. I know I won't really see it, but I'm gonna try removing it with a little vinegar later on. I let the car idle by itself during the first and second runtimes, but during the third I gave it a couple revs and held it at 2k for a few seconds to get coolant cycling and get the air out, but the coolant temp started rising very quickly and got above the second line temporarily, so I had to shut it off. The temp sensor showed 216*. Not cool. Only one fan was kicking on for some reason and I was getting no heat from the vents so I definitely have some air in the system. I know the closed deck is going to impede coolant flow a bit, but this didn't seem normal how quickly the temp was rising at that point.

I was trying to make sure I was logging correctly while looking things over and monitoring the vitals. Turns out I only had the basic Cobb defaults for logging the first couple times, so I may have missed some important data. I was only running it in the garage though. As far as sound, I heard what sounded like the usuals for a built motor, and things quieted down a bit once warm. I did immediately hear a high pitched whirring that didn't seem to leave, might be the air leak(my money is on the TGVs). I also noticed a small oil leak on the driver side valve cover; cleaned it all off but traced it back to the underside of the AVCS solenoid where it meets the housing - turns out I didn't have it tightened down enough so it popped out about a hair's width and oil was seeping past the o-ring. Tightened it down and no more oil coming out.

After the coolant spilled out, I was already stressed and dad doing that kind of pushed me over the edge. I gave up and started cleaning shit up and was kind of reacting to it. I was saying all sorts of things and being stressed out, really contemplating hard about letting someone else clean the block and diagnosing the air leak, because at that point, I was done. I was fed up, I felt defeated and just wanted to be rid of the car. I just didn't see myself throwing more effort into this, getting someone more experienced to look at it, and then sell the damn thing. I know, crazy, but really this project has put quite a bit of stress on me and my relationship.

An update on the gasket drips: I wanted to wait a while before posting in here and is the main reason there hasn't been an update 'til now because I wanted to be sure before calling it - I checked the next morning, the following Thursday of the same week, then this past Friday, and goddamnit this better not come back to bite my balls, but it seems the drips have stopped. I'm honestly surprised. I know I did a lot of worrying, but it seems IAG was right. So for now, it seems that heat-cycling may have done the trick. I feel stupid for doubting them, but at the same time I feel warranted about that considering the circumstances. I have yet to email them an update actually and have been thinking about wording the email. Other than some coolant slowly draining off the top of the motor and coming down the back of the passenger head, it looks to be dry on both sides of the engine.

In hindsight, I really should not have jumped the gun and been more patient until I had more experienced people alongside me who really know this car to help me out with starting. I got too anxious finally having the car back together with no problems and facing the idea of waiting the whole winter to see if things would work the following spring and wanted to get some closure for 2016 and this project. That night really humbled me and made me realize that many things are still above my experience. I just had to step back and take a break, and going to CO and spending some time talking to Jason about it all helped get me centered.

I mean nothing blew up/caught fire, no one was hurt(just my self-esteem), and the leaks(probably) stopped, but it was truly a mixed bag indeed. It was nice to hear her alive again and I am 200% confident I chose the right exhaust; even just idling and minor revs it sounded glorious. Too bad I wasn't really able to let it sink in and listen to it since I was all over the car. I know what I need to do but I'm still up in the air about if it will be me doing it or not. I really lost my patience that night. Granted this isn't some high-dollar racecar or anything, but it's a big deal to me. I have a lot into this thing besides just the monies and perhaps that's my downfall.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 12-19-16 at 02:09 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 01:29 PM   #767
Crawlerado
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: AEM 818R #85
Fav Mod: Mid Engine, Rear Drive Conversion
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Crawlerado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran, but it was a mixed bag**

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 02:32 PM   #768
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

I've learned one very important thing to keep my sanity (well most of it) while building a project car... don't give yourself a deadline. It'll be done when it's done and not a moment before. Otherwise it's too easy to lose perspective. Luckily I'm a perfectionist by nature. I say luckily because an STI demands perfection. Cut a corner, or not do something exactly right and the car will make you regret it. That's been my experience anyway.

It's surely a change from the old days... you could build a smallblock Chevy with some gaskets and red permatex in a garage with a dirt floor during a windstorm and it will still go 200,000 miles. The STI on the other hand requires light, heat, and a work area just short of a clean room. Again my experience.

When I was building my car I had many frustrations along the way even without touching engine internals. At first I was stressing out pretty good, because I wanted to get it done for the 2013 autocross season. I thought 6 months would be enough. It took 18.

It got easier though after it was apparent the car would not be ready. At that point I gave up on the idea of a deadline. I thought building the whole car at once would be easier. In some ways it was, but it kinda became a war of attrition. Thing is without a deadline if I was getting burned out on it I would take a couple weeks off instead of maybe just a few days. That helped a lot. In the end the car came together just fine and it just finished it's third autocross season.

Point is they do come together, but in their own time. You also have to be OK with it not working properly the first time even if you do everything right. For example, my engine wouldn't start at first because the fuel injectors seized up after RC Engineering cleaned them. Some quirk with sidefeeds I'm told. Then when it did finally start it missed like crazy. I had to send the injectors back to RC. Then welds on the catalytic converter failed after about 100 miles. That was brutal because if I couldn't find someone to repair it a new cat pipe would've taken at least 3 months to come over from Japan. As it was it took me two months to find a welder that could weld stainless that thin.

Keep the faith brother... you'll get there.

Last edited by SubySal; 12-20-16 at 06:50 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 03:23 PM   #769
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Hang in there. Enjoy the holidays and hit it again later.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-16, 06:16 PM   #770
Matt,
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Matt, is on a distinguished road

It'll happen, car is too pretty to give up on! Let me know if you need any help!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement