GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 74 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 10-25-16, 03:49 PM   #731
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

After a long phone call with JJ and [email protected] yesterday and going back and forth over and over this whole thing in my head during the past few weeks, I've decided I'm going to press on and build up to a tune.

I find it horribly ironic that one of the main reasons for going down this road to address the Subaru quirks by building a more stout and stable motor, and making a less-worrysome car, that I am exhibiting the main symptom(leaking/pushing coolant) of a lifted head, which is what I wanted to prevent in the first place. And I haven't even started it...doesn't exactly instill the confidence that I was hoping to have at the end of all this.

I'm aware that this is a new(er) situation this time around, however I'm confident that there's no internal leaking/oil contamination since I did't find any immediate traces of coolant in the cylinders or the or the oil return passages the first time taking it apart with unfinished head surfaces. Now that all surfaces are finished, theoretically there should be less risk. And that time it sat there longer with coolant in it. I know what I did and what I checked/looked over and I'm confident of that.

However, that being said the break-in will be watched closely, and it's just that - a break-in. I won't be throwing any boost at it and I will be sending my oil samples in for UOAs often, so they will catch whatever is in the oil that shouldn't be there. So it's not like anything will be breaking, melting pistons, etc. So I'd be able to reuse all the expensive critical components in a new block if it comes down to that. If the leaking doesn't stop or gets worse, then I'll know something is definitely wrong and will be taking action to fix it thusly.

I do hope the external leaks go away though. I do hope that heat-cycling will make this go away. Despite mine and some others' experienced reservations about this, I will push ahead and do what IAG says. They will stand behind their work, I never doubted that. My end goal with putting all this out in the open was to get feedback and advice to solve the possible issues right now and correct whatever possibly could be corrected instead of waiting for it to get worse.

We will see who is vilified and who is vindicated in due time.

Thanks to everyone who have provided insight in my journal so far.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 10-25-16 at 03:52 PM.
Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-16, 01:10 AM   #732
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

I just hope it'll work and you won't have to pull the motor AGAIN.
Fingers crossed!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-26-16, 04:12 AM   #733
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
I just hope it'll work and you won't have to pull the motor AGAIN.

Fingers crossed!

Seconded!

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-16, 05:43 AM   #734
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

I've been following this thread for a while. This is a crappy situation. I've had things like this happen to me from time to time. Most recently, but on a smaller scale I decided to preventatively change the chain case bearings on my sled. It didn't go well. After a series of unfortunate events I ended up changing the case itself, then the sprockets didn't line up... etc. I wished I had just left it alone. Me and my big ideas. Anyway this sometimes happens with mechanical things. I hope it all works out.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-26-16, 05:34 PM   #735
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of light

G/L dude......wishing nothing but the best for you.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-16, 09:31 AM   #736
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

I think that's a solid plan, Gavin. You're this close to starting it, do as IAG recommends and see if those gaskets seal up. If not, you're still pulling the engine, but at least you gave it shot. You'd be dumping the initial start-up oil very soon after starting the engine anyhow, I imagine, so aside from that I don't see any other supplied you'd be out other than what you've already used.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-14-16, 12:17 PM   #737
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Been a while since I logged in. Thanks everyone.

Finished the car yesterday. More of the same look from the first time it was done:

All that's left is: replacing the fender liners, refitting the front bumper, marrying the AP/loading the tune, and filling the car with dino oil(for the first 50 miles) and coolant.

If anyone has any tips for first start/procedure in addition to what I've researched and what IAG's told me, I'd appreciate it.

Once it's running should I let the thermostat open/get the fans running then bleed the coolant? Or should I start it, warm up for a bit then immediately go drive the 50 miles, then bleed coolant after gradually?

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 11-16-16 at 01:55 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 11-14-16, 12:39 PM   #738
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if it's different for a fresh rebuild, but I would think you need to let it warm up and burp/bleed the air out the coolant before going driving.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 11-16-16, 01:27 PM   #739
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah I know, dumb question. That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure since IAG states to immediately drive the car after initial fill, but they probably mean purging air as well without explicitly stating it.

So last night was the first time since starting all this work that I hooked up power to the car to marry the AP and flash a generic map on the car. Was nice to see the dash illuminate again and hear the sound of the fuel pump priming(lot of air in the lines that was bubbling into the tank though). Was good to see the Autometer gauges turn on instantly as well(my wiring worked!).

Jason is working on a break-in map now, so if all goes well up to then, I'm thinking this Sunday as the big day. I am excited, but very apprehensive - nervous even. Gonna put oil and coolant in that day(bleed the system as much as possible), then go for the 50-mile run-in.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 11-16-16 at 01:38 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 11-16-16, 02:34 PM   #740
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Looking forward to a good report!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement