GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 72 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 10-14-16, 10:24 AM   #711
imprezarsx
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 93, 00, 01, 06, 07
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

imprezarsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

Hey OP,

As owner of a shop and friends with IAG, this is what I think you should do.

remove the heads, look between the layers of the head gaskets for cardboard.
Take a picture of the studs in the block from the side so the relative heights can be compared.

Why? In the last month, we've had two HG's from JE show up with cardboard between the layers. The little punched out piece from the packaging that gives you the spot to hang it on, has SOMEHOW got into the bag with the gasket and found its way in between the gasket layers. Guess what happens when you put coolant in the engine with the cardboard in the HG? It leaks just like that picture you posted.
Running it very well may soften the cardboard or burn it enough that it no longer affects the seal. Which lends credibility to what IAG suggested, but it does not address the actual issue. I would prefer to address the actual issue.

Lastly, ALWAYS un-torque ARP studs (or any head faster in a Subaru) after torquing them. That part of the procedure isn't just about the factory bolts. It's about the embossing on the gasket laying flat in addition to the bolt stretch. The distance between studs is so great that you can force the embossed area to unevenly compress as the heads flex from torque. Also, ARP told me specifically that they should always be torqued, untorqued and torqued again if they are new studs. They mentioned that the threads get "cleaned up" on the stud and the nut as well as the stud stretches just a little bit with torquing. The person at ARP told me to do it 3 times. I have found 2 with the recheck 12-24hrs later to be sufficient.

I would give the odds of the head or deck surface not being flat a 1 out of 10,000. The issue is going to be the gasket or the torque. In both cases, it's going to be the OPs fault, not IAGs.

Good luck,
Dominic
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-16, 10:48 AM   #712
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAG Performance View Post
2. Bead blasting the heads will ABSOLUTELY cause a sealing issue, and the heads ABSOLUTELY needed to be decked, no question. While there is a sealing issue at this point in time, it does not dismiss the fact that this procedure needed to take place.
I think the point is lost here. We've already discussed the issue about the bead blasting, and that the head needs to be skimmed and ensured straight (and I even told him in person to have them skimmed, which I tell everyone). However, It shouldn't leak without any pressure behind it. We've discussed this in this thread. The stance from you guys is that the finish is causing it, where Keith told me it was similar to a concrete finish and has "thousands of tiny pores". Well no... Concrete is porous whereas the head finish did not have pores.

Again, we all agree the bead blasted finish is going to be problematic, but many of us agreed that it should still hold water. Now the heads have been skimmed, it still leaks. Now that it's leaking again, a new response is given which was never referenced at any point prior, anywhere. See where I am going with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAG Performance View Post
On that note, obviously (yamahaSHO) I can see that you have some beef with an employee here (and from what I gather, a former friend). I apologize that you gentleman have experienced a disagreement that has left you bitter or displeased, but this business is filled with employees, including Keith, who care VERY much about the best interests of our customers, and want this situation to be resolved by any means necessary. We certainly don't want this to be happening any more than Gavin, as this type of banter is certainly counterproductive for all of us, and at the end of the day, we want Gavin to be enjoying his car and not experiencing these issues any more than he wants to be experiencing them...
We were acquaintances. It's actually this issue that caused the fallout. I messaged him to talk out this problem, where he said "250% why it's leaking" in reference to the finish on the heads. He got very defensive very quickly (and he'd been working there like 2 minutes at the time) when I hadn't even run through all the ideas and then he randomly stated, "I've already lost one friend working here" out of nowhere. Okay... I see where this is going.

I already knew his demeanor over a couple years of all his Facebook post. Negative all the time to where I un-followed him. I also know someone called him out for it so I followed again. It got slightly better. I said that to say, that's the type of demeanor I was dealing with while trying to talk through a problem. Eventually, I told (agreed) that he was too defensive and told him to disregard.

Oh, and I didn't tell Keith to suck start a shotgun. Unless he's now referred to as "them".

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezarsx View Post

I would give the odds of the head or deck surface not being flat a 1 out of 10,000. The issue is going to be the gasket or the torque. In both cases, it's going to be the OPs fault, not IAGs.
Let's get this straight... A bad gasket is NOT the OP's fault.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-16, 12:27 PM   #713
imprezarsx
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

Let's get this straight... A bad gasket is NOT the OP's fault.
Or IAGs, which was my point.

Not checking the gasket for foreign material is absolutely the OPs fault (if that's what the problem is). A responsible builder always fully inspects the gaskets. We always inspect ours. The customer who didn't had a coolant leak just like that.
We sold him the gaskets, but that doesn't make it our fault.
It's just a loose piece of cardboard. It doesn't mean the gasket is bad.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-16, 12:34 PM   #714
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

A lot to respond to, so here goes:

-----

Rick/Keith/IAG,

First let me say as always thank you for the support thus far. It helps to know you got my back. I never questioned that aspect at all, I know you take care of your customers, as evidenced by your response here. The goal with posting this in my journal was to get other eyes on this situation from others' whose experience and advice I respect and don't take lightly. I hope this is not seen as going behind your backs; that was not my intent. I am not putting this all over NASIOC, the amount of people that have been following have been a few close members. I also have respect for IAG and it's people as well as the relationship we've had this far, that is why I've been open to feedback and advice from you as well. I hope I've been as neutral as possible and I'm not mad at anyone, just frustrated with my situation.

1) As Jason said, reasons seem to have been changing, that's why I was consulting him and others. I found it odd that JE says heatcycling likely won't help, as well as other members' experience with building. However, if you say your piece in this way, I will take your recommendation and go with it. I want to cooperate and follow your advice as well.

2) As I said earlier, yes I agree on this. It needed to be done like Jason said. This would've been an issue down the road. I remember reading proper surface prep before all this, but for some reason, forgot to take it into account the first time. And for that I blame myself completely. It was not easy personally getting over this the first time as a result. It should be noted that the leaks are slightly different than before resurface; there's only one small area that is damp on the block, indicating in that area, coolant is getting between the deck and that coated top layer on that side. The drips are actually on the gasket edges, which looks to me like coolant is getting between the layers which is surprising at the current clamping force. We(myself, others, JE) all think it's odd that it's not holding water at atmospheric pressure.

3) There were questions about one aspect of the procedure; going to 100ft-lbs on the centers AFTER the initial run up to 90. Other than that, I did this to a T of ARP's included instructions. That said, the current suspected "uneven torque" would really have to be measured to say bar-none this is the sole issue. HOWEVER, I torqued these so that's why I'm open to all this feedback. Still I feel that the effects of my doing so should not get this result.

4) Thank you, it's reassuring to know.

Thanks for working with me so far, I aim to continue the relationship and sort things out. It's just at first, with all this feedback from you guys and others whom I respect, I was getting conflicting experiences.

Seems that we should clear this up; I have been civil in my emails to you guys and I hope that is taken for what it is. Jason may be a little blunt in his wording, but like he said, he wasn't targeting Keith directly with that. However, a bit harsh. But I also know he doesn't just say things for no reason. It's not his car, but he is involved obviously. I'm a friend of his, but also a customer and I know he doesn't want to see me get shafted.

The exchange he had with Keith is his to work out, as hard as that may be. Though again, thanks for the vote of confidence that you're working towards making this endeavor successful, as this is not just a project car for me, it's a major part of my life(much to the dismay of my S.O.). This is my first personal foray into performance cars that I can call my own and I've made a lot of sacrifices to get here.

-----

Dominic, thanks for the input, I will keep this in mind. Like I said before, I looked over the gaskets before and didn't see anything like this, but I will do it again anyways. That is surprising you've seen this though. I want to address the issue as well, right to the heart of the matter. It's just that all the info I was being told was conflicting, and I certainly don't want to continue on normally, for risk of ruining parts. More on that later.

THIS is new info to me - this is NOT stated in the instructions included with the studs, and I have the newer instructions that were updated with the newer torque value of 90ft-lbs that was changed by ARP sometime in 2013. These studs have now been fully sequenced twice all around. Are you saying three times total? Or you saying three times successively in the same session? Again, the instructions that ARP included did not specify running up to torque and then backing them off like OEM.

Agreeing with Jason, bad gaskets would not be my fault for failure. I checked them before I installed them. But like I'm trying to get across elsewhere, I'm not blaming anyone and I don't even know if I can, just pointing out the fact that the general opinion was/is pointing to a block issue somewhere.

-----

Jason, I know you're mainly responding to Rick to clear the air and explain yourself, but I agree with your stances. Seems like certain folks were mistaken.

-----

Here's what I'm gonna do:

I'm pulling the motor again and going back down to the studs.

Do I need to only go to 90 on all studs per ARP? Or take into account OEM torque angle as well and go from 60 to 100 on the centers?(As part of the same torque sequence of course). Check 24hrs later.

After which and with it still on the stand, I will put coolant in and see if it leaks. If it doesn't, awesome, we will know that it was probably me, which I will be shocked if it came down to post-run up 10 ft-lbs added clamping. If it does, to follow IAG's instruction, I will aim to get everything installed, get a break-in tune, and heat cycle to see if it goes away. After that, who knows....

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 10-14-16 at 12:39 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-16, 12:50 PM   #715
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Ship entire longblock to IAG and have them reinstall heads to block
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-16, 01:04 PM   #716
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Or IAGs, which was my point.

Not checking the gasket for foreign material is absolutely the OPs fault (if that's what the problem is). A responsible builder always fully inspects the gaskets. We always inspect ours. The customer who didn't had a coolant leak just like that.
We sold him the gaskets, but that doesn't make it our fault.
It's just a loose piece of cardboard. It doesn't mean the gasket is bad.
You're placing the blame on the OP and assuming he didn't check anything. That is my point.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-16, 01:05 PM   #717
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
Ship entire longblock to IAG and have them reinstall heads to block
Well I want to be sure myself of the agreed upon right way to do this so I can put it to rest. But yes, I actually have considered doing that. It's just the cost associated with shipping is going to be outrageous. We'll see....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-16, 08:36 PM   #718
imprezarsx
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
You're placing the blame on the OP and assuming he didn't check anything. That is my point.
You're really coming off as an asshole with poor reading comprehension.

If you noticed, in both of my posts, I said "If that's the problem"

So I'll sum it up again: IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM, it's his fault. Because, IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM, he obviously didn't check them well enough. If that isn't the problem, then nothing I said pertaining to that specific issue applies. I think that goes without saying, but I'll go ahead and say it for you.

So maybe you should seriously take a chill pill. You're more upset, more hostile and a much larger prick than the guy who owns the car, engine and is experiencing the issue. So if he isn't as upset as you, maybe there is something you should look into; like yourself.

At this point, you are only pure poison in the thread and you're not helping the OP at all because others are trying to help, but your attitude is making them less likely to help. Your misplaced anger will actually affect your friend negatively.

So get it under control.

If you think you have nothing to get under control, then you need to seek professional assistance. Recommending anyone commit suicide over an engine is pretty ridiculous.
Likes 0 Dislikes 2

Old 10-14-16, 08:42 PM   #719
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of lightGot2Boostit2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You're really coming off as an asshole with poor reading comprehension.

If you noticed, in both of my posts, I said "If that's the problem"

So I'll sum it up again: IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM, it's his fault. Because, IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM, he obviously didn't check them well enough. If that isn't the problem, then nothing I said pertaining to that specific issue applies. I think that goes without saying, but I'll go ahead and say it for you.

So maybe you should seriously take a chill pill. You're more upset, more hostile and a much larger prick than the guy who owns the car, engine and is experiencing the issue. So if he isn't as upset as you, maybe there is something you should look into; like yourself.

At this point, you are only pure poison in the thread and you're not helping the OP at all because others are trying to help, but your attitude is making them less likely to help. Your misplaced anger will actually affect your friend negatively.

So get it under control.

If you think you have nothing to get under control, then you need to seek professional assistance. Recommending anyone commit suicide over an engine is pretty ridiculous.
Yo dude, be the bigger man and let it go, to lower yourself to name calling is totally unnecessary. Period end of story. Or you could have explained yourself from a different perspective. Yammy can be blunt, but your response is out of line.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-16, 07:17 AM   #720
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

FWIW Viton does melt and it sticks to stuff when it does, but at over 300C, not near coolant temps.

Do parts of the head gasket get that hot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 10-15-16 at 07:49 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement