GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 70 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 10-13-16, 11:43 AM   #691
farmboss
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Everything that is actually an improvement over the stock part.
My Subaru Parts for sale

farmboss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

Dam, tighten in proper sequence much?

Never heard of heat cycling a head gasket. Sounds stupid, gasket should just be a gasket. Tighten properly and roll on.

Maybe the head is bound up and just needs to be re-tightened in sequence? But you say you got leaks on both sides, are you tightening these bolts yourself or is someone else doing it and you gotta rely on them to do their job right?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-16, 11:57 AM   #692
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

He's doing them and he's following the proper sequence and torque.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 12:33 PM   #693
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Yes, it's odd how the reason has changed.

This is what I was getting at, that others have built with no leaks/drips. No instructions with the gaskets. I did just get off the phone with someone from JE directly who said most likely, heat cycling is recommended. He's going to call me back once he talks with the team.

I'm just torn at this point.

farmboss, yes I'm doing it myself using ARP's torque values and sequence:

-------3------1------6
Front
-------5------2------4

3 equal steps to 90: 30-60-90, check 24hrs later for torque hold, torque center two to 100ft-lbs.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 10-13-16 at 12:37 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-16, 01:03 PM   #694
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Callback from JE:

I gave them all the details. They had a meeting just now to talk about my situation.

Heat cycling may have an effect, but they believe not enough to result in much material change. If it's leaking now with zero pressure, it will only be worse under pressure.

They are all on the same page and in agreement about the uneven torque and saying to first try backing everything off and following the ARP instructions to a T. They think that the center two being tighter may be pulling the inside of the head farther down, raising the outside edge up.

They said if that doesn't resolve it, then the only other variable is the block being straight and true. They said it would take much more clamp load than I currently have to completely flatten out the spring steel and compromise the gasket. Which makes me wonder why I didn't just go with new case halves.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 01:11 PM   #695
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

You could try not torqueing the centers as much, but the factory angle/torque has you torqueing the center more as well. Additionally, you shouldn't be hitting the centers with more torque AFTER you've torqued. It should be PART OF the torque sequence. IE: instead of going to 90 on that last step, go straight to 100 on the centers and 90 on the outers.

If neither of those work, it's the block.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 01:14 PM   #696
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I was not doing it as part of the sequence. That may be it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 01:17 PM   #697
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Maybe, but I'm not convinced it's the issue.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 02:03 PM   #698
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Doing it out of sequence, would have some effect though. How much may be up for debate.

Just sent this to you-know-who:

Keith,
In an attempt to get more eyes on this, I also contacted JE directly and spoke to their Sport Compact division. They had a short-notice meeting/conference call with the team and an engineer, and they are all in agreement that heat cycling may have an effect, but not enough to result in much material change. If it's leaking now with zero pressure, the same leaks as before the head resurfacing, it will only be worse under pressure. While I agree that the heads not being corrected the first time would've presented an issue down the line, the fact that this is happening again shows the only constant that hasn't changed is the block. Other individuals I've consulted about this are all saying they've done the same as I have during a build and following proper procedure, yet had no leaks with zero pressure.

Thanks for the help so far. However, I am very hesitant to proceed further and my gut is telling me to back up on this. I'm not trying to be resistant here, I'm just thinking in best interest of not making the issue worse; I really want to cooperate and do what you're suggesting to rule it out, but I just don't think it's the underlying cause. I can't in good conscience risk making this problem worse. The consensus is pointing to a block issue.

Can you tell me how common it is to reuse a block for this type of machining? Successes/failures? What is involved in deeming a used block safe for these processes? If mine was safe to reuse, then what changed?

Thank you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 03:05 PM   #699
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

A used block isn't a problem itself. Additionally, a seasoned block is sometimes desired as its done its 'settling'. That said, they machined the casing, pressed a guard in, and skimmed the deck.

You can try the two different discussed tightening sequences to say you did it, but if neither of those work, it seems like the obvious answer is the block. I do agree that not going straight to 100 ft-lbs from 60 on the middle will have an effect, but the motor should not have a problem sealing coolant at atmospheric pressure.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 06:39 PM   #700
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Do we not find it funny and irritating that this wasn't the reason it was leaking before, according to them? They were so certain it was the head finish prior to this.

I've put together my fair share of motors and I've never not had one hold coolant while at zero pressure. I wouldn't fire up a motor that is leaking from sitting there. What do the instructions say about this? I could not find them nor did my quick search lead to anything about coolant leaking and having to heat cycle these.

At this point, you can try what they say and then see what their answer changes to when it still leaks, or...

A figgin greed. Dry after every one I've ever assembled, period. I feel bad for him. Then heat cycling comes back ----- leak. What then?

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/

Last edited by Got2Boostit2; 10-14-16 at 08:57 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement