GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 02-23-13, 09:46 AM   #61
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Thanks, Billy, for clarifying what I was saying earlier.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-13, 09:53 AM   #62
muller_777
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Car: '18 CBS STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

muller_777 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06STi Gary View Post
Thanks, Billy, for clarifying what I was saying earlier.
i was actually really confused what you guys were talking about. i just happen to see he wants to really get the most out of the vf39. throwing every option at it, isn't always the best though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 10:05 AM   #63
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

You're correct there, I would like to get the most out of the 39. It seems that there are going to be drawbacks and advantages to either route really. The EWG option is because I'd like to have smooth power and control for the 39. That will be coupled with a good tune.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-13, 10:15 AM   #64
muller_777
pwn n00bs

My Subaru Parts for sale

benefits of ewg though are for high boost applications. the only way to boost the vf39 higher is with e85 or meth injection. i just don't want you to spend $$ with no results.

turboback, header, uppipe, fuel pump, intake, turbo inlet, ebcs, tune will get you a lot. i'm not stopping you from getting an ewg though i believe ultimate racing makes an ewg kit for a 3 bolt flanged header (gt spec). however, only certain downpipes fit with it and invidia is not one of them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 10:48 AM   #65
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Benefits of an EWG relieve pressure out of the hot side. If you're bypassing exhaust, you might as well do it before it becomes turbulent through the exhaust housing. There is a pretty good thread on NASIOC about the gains of an EWG on a stock turbo. High boost is not a reason to get an EWG, better boost control is.

The OP is in Nebraska and has access to lots of E85.

If porting yourself, you'll find your bang for buck ahead of any UEL, unless you also have weight savings in mind.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 10:53 AM   #66
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

I appreciate the monetary concern ha!

Yeah it looks to be that most people with EWGs are usually and coincidentally on higher boost levels and that's where they can shine, and you're right that the 39's upper limit is only around 21psi, however I've also seen 39's swapped into WRX's who also happen to be using EWGs, with and without E85/meth. Also have seen numerous posts and threads about people(including yamahaSHO) who have reported that they have a benefit. So to me it stands that even the knackered lil' VF39 can see improvements with an EWG.

When doing headers, I was probably going to go with GTSpec and one of their compatible UPs because of the bolt pattern.

Weight savings is always nice!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 11:38 AM   #67
muller_777
pwn n00bs

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Benefits of an EWG relieve pressure out of the hot side. If you're bypassing exhaust, you might as well do it before it becomes turbulent through the exhaust housing. There is a pretty good thread on NASIOC about the gains of an EWG on a stock turbo. High boost is not a reason to get an EWG, better boost control is.

The OP is in Nebraska and has access to lots of E85.

If porting yourself, you'll find your bang for buck ahead of any UEL, unless you also have weight savings in mind.
yes, i know all that. i don't see a benefit for a vf39. when all is said and done, you can better gains with 500 more bucks and a better turbo. :/ ewg can get pricey.

as for porting yourself, of course it's free!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 12:08 PM   #68
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Cooler EGT's and better boost control (to include quicker spool) are plenty to warrant an EWG.

Generally, people want an EWG for those reasons, the sound, and because they plan to go further. The ability to swap springs to suit your needs is also nice. Run a stiff spring combo and use an MBC to control the last bit of boost to aid in very quick spool and help your top end at the same time. Also you wwon't have to worry about boost creep, which VF39's are subject to.

My free comment is more directed at the fact that I don't see spending the money on an UEL when doesn't get rid of the inferior design.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 03:28 PM   #69
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

As far as EWG prices are concerned, RSD has a TiAL MV-S 38mm and all the components for $255. That's not too bad considering there are more expensive ones out there.

It's true though that others have made considerable power gains by going with AM headers. I just don't know if that would be more of a detriment to the 39.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-13, 09:00 AM   #70
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
As far as EWG prices are concerned, RSD has a TiAL MV-S 38mm and all the components for $255. That's not too bad considering there are more expensive ones out there.

It's true though that others have made considerable power gains by going with AM headers. I just don't know if that would be more of a detriment to the 39.
I ran AM headers on my 39 for 45k miles and then sold turbo for 475 with no cracks looking like new... what do you think headers will do to it?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement