GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 69 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 10-11-16, 06:51 AM   #681
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

I think I mentioned something about this very situation happening before you started.

Let me know when you are ready to go through Cobb's stupid training course so you can get software for me to use.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-16, 08:10 AM   #682
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

That it would've taken this long? Probably...

I'm not excited at the idea of shelling out another $150 to Cobb, but whatever. I still haven't been able to test the ATR installer you sent me though.

I will be looking for some time maybe next month to come out to CO....oh, and of course bringin' the hoist back
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-12-16, 09:00 AM   #683
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Well, there's really no easy way to say this but, the gaskets are leaking again.

I'm at a loss and not sure how to proceed, honestly baffled. I have no idea what's wrong.

I put coolant into the system last night and I found the same droplets on the gasket edges again. When I reach up to pinch the gaskets I can see a little coolant being squeezed out from between the gasket layers. Does this mean the gaskets are compromised?

I mean, if IAG and others have used ProSeals, how are they not having issues? I mean what am I doing wrong? I had Rick there when the heads went on, he didn't think I did anything out of the ordinary. The surfaces were dry, gaskets placed carefully, heads torqued to spec and checked again....

My only thought at this point is wondering if this will go away once I get some heat cycles on the motor; with expansion/contraction of heating/cooling the components, will this only get worse?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-16, 09:57 AM   #684
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I hate to have been right about this, but I knew that the head surface without pressure should have held water. The guy I know at IAG got defensive when I started chatting with him about this like I'm the asshole...

Is the deck flat and straight on the block? Did you try new gaskets?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-12-16, 10:02 AM   #685
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Brand new gaskets and the deck is flat; I checked it when it came back the first time.

And I knew you weren't crazy either. I was in complete agreement with you about zero pressure; it never made sense that it happened.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 10-12-16 at 12:31 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-12-16, 12:30 PM   #686
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I have emailed IAG. We'll see what they say.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-12-16, 03:16 PM   #687
Matt,
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Matt, is on a distinguished road

Is there crud in the bottom of head bolt holes? I know it's possible to hydrolock a head bolt if too much lubrication is used, maybe it's stopping the head from fully seating?

Edit: Nvm, wouldn't affect head studs.. Dur
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 05:47 AM   #688
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ok, I took some pics this morning...you can see the drips pretty clearly. In the first pic to the left of the drip, the block is damp along the gasket for about 1 inch. I sent these to IAG.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 11:21 AM   #689
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I've heard back. Let me preface this by first saying that I was already wondering to myself about heat cycling and whether or not that would seal anything up.

Also out of all the reading, research, and experience around engine building I have absorbed and been privy to, maybe there are some things I'm still unaware of - BUT it was my understanding that if everything goes together properly and things are done correctly, leaks like this should not be present? Or am I just that unlucky? Basically, what I'm saying is, I haven't heard of this being a normal occurrence in an engine build.

Or the other answer is, this is a possibility on a new build no matter how much care is taken. That being said, IAG's response is below:

You MUST heat cycle the JE ProSeal gaskets to get them to seal. Ideally you want to run the car as youíre finishing bleeding the coolant. Run the car, bleed the coolant, drive it, let it heat cycle (up to 200 and back down) 3 times then report back.

The coating on the gasket requires heat to seal completely, so a brand new build thatís filled with coolant and allowed to sit will leak until itís heat cycled. We have seen this before but it is very rare, most people choose to start their new engines immediately after filling fluids. Fire that thing up and get some heat cycles on it and report back.

Now I do see some truth to that, it's not completely far-fetched. I put coolant in simply as a leak test. I will say though that there appears to be less points of the leakage this time around than before the head resurface - 1 point on the driver side, 2 points on passenger, it's just dripping at a slightly faster rate this time around. Hard to say farther up in the gasket where it's seeping through, however.

Gimme your thoughts.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-13-16, 11:30 AM   #690
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
So I've heard back. Let me preface this by first saying that I was already wondering to myself about heat cycling and whether or not that would seal anything up.

Also out of all the reading, research, and experience around engine building I have absorbed and been privy to, maybe there are some things I'm still unaware of - BUT it was my understanding that if everything goes together properly and things are done correctly, leaks like this should not be present? Or am I just that unlucky? Basically, what I'm saying is, I haven't heard of this being a normal occurrence in an engine build.

Or the other answer is, this is a possibility on a new build no matter how much care is taken. That being said, IAG's response is below:

You MUST heat cycle the JE ProSeal gaskets to get them to seal. Ideally you want to run the car as youíre finishing bleeding the coolant. Run the car, bleed the coolant, drive it, let it heat cycle (up to 200 and back down) 3 times then report back.

The coating on the gasket requires heat to seal completely, so a brand new build thatís filled with coolant and allowed to sit will leak until itís heat cycled. We have seen this before but it is very rare, most people choose to start their new engines immediately after filling fluids. Fire that thing up and get some heat cycles on it and report back.

Now I do see some truth to that, it's not completely far-fetched. I will say though that there appears to be less points of the leakage this time around than before the head resurface - 1 point on the driver side, 2 points on passenger, it's just dripping at a slightly faster rate this time around. Hard to say farther up in the gasket where it's seeping through, however.

Gimme your thoughts.
Do we not find it funny and irritating that this wasn't the reason it was leaking before, according to them? They were so certain it was the head finish prior to this.

I've put together my fair share of motors and I've never not had one hold coolant while at zero pressure. I wouldn't fire up a motor that is leaking from sitting there. What do the instructions say about this? I could not find them nor did my quick search lead to anything about coolant leaking and having to heat cycle these.

At this point, you can try what they say and then see what their answer changes to when it still leaks, or...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement