GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 68 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 09-02-16, 01:42 PM   #671
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads at IAG**

Heads done and work paid for. But because of the long weekend, I won't get 'em 'til late next week I'm sure. I can't believe it'll be the weekend of the 11th before I'm able to start work on the car again.

Ugh...goddamnit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-16, 07:53 AM   #672
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads back from IAG**

Got the heads back yesterday, but didn't have a chance to look 'em over. I will do that tonight and try to get some pics uploaded tonight. They pulled the AVCS solenoids out and cover plates off the forward cam cap pairs - would it be a good idea to prime those with oil when going back together? I figured it couldn't hurt and that's what I did the first time going back together(I didn't take it apart, just pulled the banjo bolts out and put some oil down in the chambers).

This past Sunday I spent the day at RPM with my friend Rick, who had his cammed, E85 2.5RS tuned by Jason out on track; man, that thing scoots!! I rode with him a few times and though we can all be quicker, as it stands he has good driving skill and has so much potential I can tell. It was great to get seat time with him. Certainly inspiring to get myself ready to do the same.

In a related note, I AM HOOKED! -again-

!!RAMBLE DANGER, DEAD AHEAD!!

Seriously, all I want to do is be on track and drive fast. All I've been thinking about since Sunday is how to get myself out there again. It's been several years since I drove an actual car on track(way back in '05!), and ever since then it's just been karts. All I can think about after karting is just more karting and going faster, so naturally now it's much of the same. I play sims almost every damn day(and I'm obsessive about lap times!), but it's just not the same as being out there and experiencing the g-forces, sounds and sensations of being on a real track. In a parallel universe, I'm certain I'm a racing driver. If I could do anything all the time, it would be driving. I'm not saying I'm a natural talent or anything, but damnit, I definitely have the drive, motivation, and passion to better myself, and I hope next season I get the opportunity but I'll need to get harnesses and a helmet as well.
*END RAMBLE*

This week/weekend, it begins again...

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 09-13-16 at 08:01 AM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-16, 09:53 AM   #673
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads back from IAG**

I was in Omaha on Sunday getting the last of my crap. I almost stopped by the track, but we were running a little behind.

There's more in Rick's car, I just want to get it on a dyno to finish up the tune.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-16, 01:07 PM   #674
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah he mentioned that you were working on a final tune for him, when the dust settles, that is

He also was talking over dinner a couple weeks ago about making a trip out to CO next year for that dyno time? That'd be exciting to see for sure.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-16, 06:19 PM   #675
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Unpacked the heads tonight and inspected everything - all looks good and ready to be installed. Here's a couple pics:

Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-16, 05:18 AM   #676
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

That is a MLS-ready surface finish - Godspeed in getting it back together!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-28-16, 04:07 PM   #677
Foo_Blyat
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Foo_Blyat will become famous soon enough

Hello? Is anyone home?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-29-16, 12:39 AM   #678
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Bet he's licking those shiny metal parts every day and then goes like:

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-29-16, 07:12 AM   #679
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm still alive haha.

Something like that Ben At least it's licking and not leaking. I'm still gonna have flashbacks about this ordeal for years.

Things were slow out of the gates since I was waiting for a friend to be available to assist with the heads going back on and to "stand over my shoulder" as a second check to make sure my procedure was right the first time. Turns out I'm not crazy and I installed it right the first time, so it has to be the surface finish - I just had to rule myself out. Unfortunately I'm going to be busy most of this weekend because one of my best friends is flying up from AZ because my other best friend is getting married next year, but his engagement party is Sunday.

But the real reason he flew up here is because the three of us are gonna see the man, the myth, the legend - 'ol red freckle Bill Burr on Saturday night.

A bit laggy video, but - Bill Burr - Let It Go - 2010 - Stand-up Special - YouTube

So I'll be working on it when I can, but I hope to have it ready to put back in the car by next weekend - that's the plan anyway

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 09-29-16 at 09:49 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-11-16, 05:26 AM   #680
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

So as planned, Rick and I got the motor back in this past Saturday. All went smooth and nothing broke, so that's a positive. Big thanks to him for spending his day working with me, I owe him greatly.

Some of you may remember the scare I had with the bolt on the lower idler being crossthreaded into the block and having to clean and tap the boss; the night before the motor going in I was pretty nervous about the bolt going in a second time, breaking threads and not holding torque. Well I'm happy to say that it held torque fine, so that's a relief.

I realized the first time through that, since I have composite TGVs, I had forgotten to make a grounding wire from the IM to the block, so I will be adding that small item to the list of things to do. This also led me to grounding kits, so I bought a Flex Innovations kit that was fairly priced. Currently waiting on that to arrive.

Time is running out on driving season, but I will have the car buttoned up in 2-3 weeks. Every time I think about it, I'm still a mix of emotions about the mess-up and how long all this has taken. If you would've asked me at the start of all this how long it would be down, I would have laughed at a year and 4 months......
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement