GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 65 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-13-16, 05:35 PM   #641
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is comin' out again...coolant leaks...**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legba View Post

If the process is well controlled, documented, with the right tools in place, and quality control. They should be as good as any commercially available performance crate engine. At that rate though, a non-perfect process, is going to show itself in short order.

It's funny you say that... My dad's RamJet 350 crate motor had the wrong head gaskets installed from the factory. He fought overheating for a long time and when he pulled the heads to put in new gaskets, it was very apparent that the wrong gaskets were used. Now he doesn't have issues.

As for the ring gap, what rings did they use? The Total Seal rings I used (came with the pistons) required fairly large gaps.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 07-13-16 at 06:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-16, 06:11 PM   #642
Legba
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Tough to say
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Legba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is comin' out again...coolant leaks...**

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
It's funny you say that... My dad's RamJet 350 crate motor had the wrong head gaskets installed from the factory. Now he doesn't have issues.
Maybe that's what happened here
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-16, 06:38 PM   #643
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

They installed the set of Manley rings that came with the pistons.

Legba, are you insinuating I used the wrong gaskets? Because IAG has used these before without issue. Also, in what way are they wrong? Because with a factory style gasket there would be way more open gasket space since the factory design is semi-closed deck; you do know I have a closed-deck right?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-16, 06:50 PM   #644
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

My Manley pistons came with Total Seal rings.

Without going back and comparing gaskets, they should take on about the same shape. All that really matters is they seal the right parts.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-16, 06:53 PM   #645
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Perfect opportunity to put 625s in

No point in having a closed deck and rods that can hold 700whp and ARP2000s that hold 550-600whp IAG has lifted heads with ARP2000 on E85 at 650-700whp and later clamped them down with 625s

I'm using JE Pro Seal with their closed deck for 8000 miles now, no problems
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-16, 07:12 PM   #646
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Jason, I just checked the part numbers and you are correct; the Manley ring set is supplied by Total Seal.

user, thanks for the feedback and chiming in about the gaskets. I must say though I really don't see myself going into that power range. I wanted tough parts to deal with tough use, not necessarily tough power. So yeah I overbuilt a little, but the price was right on many of the components that were better than others for the money I was already planning to spend. But I get what you're saying. I will consider more about the 625s.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-13-16 at 07:40 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-16, 07:45 PM   #647
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Also really wish my situation were different ATM, I'd come me out to help.
Thanks for the consideration Darryl. Means a lot.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-16, 02:35 AM   #648
Legba
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Tough to say
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Legba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Legba, are you insinuating I used the wrong gaskets?
It was sarcastic. I was making a funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Because with a factory style gasket there would be way more open gasket space since the factory design is semi-closed deck; you do know I have a closed-deck right?
Unless they are using a custom gasket to seal off all 'closed' areas, the seals are still in the same spot. While the closed areas don't see actual flow, they are still exposed to fluid. Anything between the inner seal and outer seal will see coolant fluid/pressure.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-16, 04:46 AM   #649
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legba View Post

Unless they are using a custom gasket to seal off all 'closed' areas, the seals are still in the same spot. While the closed areas don't see actual flow, they are still exposed to fluid. Anything between the inner seal and outer seal will see coolant fluid/pressure.
Exactly. The holes in the gaskets are usually not going to vary in size/location even between manufacturers. They meter the flow of coolant through the block and head castings, and since the OE coolant hole locations and sizes work well, there's really no reason for aftermarket manufacturers to stray from that design.

Generally with any MLS head gasket, the biggest improvements can be made in the combustion seal, oil/coolant port sealing and the coating. The JE's are fine gaskets, I would say better than OE. The OE gaskets have been proven to work for many people when paired head studs, but they aren't anything special. I don't think the JE gaskets are the issue, it's more likely a surface finish/flatness issue.

FWIW - I used 625+ studs on my non-closed deck build. They're a bit overkill but I wanted the extra "insurance." However, You may want to stock with the studs/torque specs that were used when your block was machined/cylinders were honed. I don't know how much additional bore distortion you'd see with 625+ studs torqued to 100 ft-lbs compared to standard ARP's torqued to 90, but assuming the block was honed with a torque plate, the cylinder shape should be optimized for the studs are torque specs that were used during the machining process. Maybe the difference is negligible - I'm not a machinist or an engine builder so I couldn't tell you. Maybe the closed deck helps to minimize bore distortion as well, so maybe you could get away with the 625+ studs?

Also, if you upgrade studs you'll want to re-check valve lash. It's surprising how much the lash changes between setting lash on a table vs. setting lash with the heads torqued to the block. Using higher torque specs/studs that apply more load will likely affect lash. Factory lash is all over the place on used cams/buckets so you should re-check it anyhow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-16, 05:31 AM   #650
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_05_STi View Post
the cylinder shape should be optimized for the studs are torque specs that were used during the machining process.
Absolutely! This will set you up for the most ideal and optimized conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_05_STi View Post
Also, if you upgrade studs you'll want to re-check valve lash. It's surprising how much the lash changes between setting lash on a table vs. setting lash with the heads torqued to the block. Using higher torque specs/studs that apply more load will likely affect lash. Factory lash is all over the place on used cams/buckets so you should re-check it anyhow.
^ listen to this guy he knows his sheet!

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement