GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 02-23-13, 08:02 AM   #51
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Giving it some thought, and since I'm not going to get a different turbo for a while(unless one comes up for a price that's too good to pass up), I guess it would make the most sense to stick with the stock manifold for now, which frees up some money for other parts. So, once I go with a new turbo, that's when I'll do AM headers.

So here's what I'll do:
stock manifold bits PnP and coated(not sure if I want to keep the heatshielding)
AM cross pipe or get stock one coated
EWG w/coated UP
DP coated
CBE
CAI with turbo inlet
EBCS, fuel system bits, or some other stuff if money is left over

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 02-23-13 at 08:56 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-13, 08:10 AM   #52
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

- You can't PnP the cross pipe as it is just pipe.

- No point in coating the entire exhaust. I would stop with the DP. If you're going to coat, make it worth while and use SwainTech.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 08:18 AM   #53
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Woops, thanks. I thought you could do that to just about any piece that was a pipe or tube; my mistake.

I was looking at SwainTech services since I saw that you and some others have said good things. I've seen some people that had powder-coated their CB components and really liked that idea over most piping that was chromed. Then I figured what the heck, if the CBE is getting any coating, it might as well be temp-resistant.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-13, 08:27 AM   #54
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I don't see why the CBE needs coated. A good exhaust won't corrode, especially since you don't drive it in the winter. You're really looking at extra cost you could put into a better exhaust, like titanium that would hold heat in without coating and be extremely light.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 08:37 AM   #55
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Damn your sound reasoning, haha! But really, that is best I suppose. I'm sure that both the Blitz and Tanabe ones I'm looking at are SS though. The 2.86" taper on both of them I believe shouldn't cause any issues. You still have the Cobb CBE, right?

TiAL seems to be what most look towards for EWGs, but I'll be looking around.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 08:56 AM   #56
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, I have full Cobb TBE. It has the taper... I'm not too concerned especially since I bypass it under high boost. I considered routing the EWG back into the exhaust (still may). If I do, I would dump it back in after the taper.

TiAL is a good quality brand. TurboSmart also seems to be good. Most of us use TiAL.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 09:12 AM   #57
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Plumbing back in is a good idea, yeah. After taper-even better. When we get back out there, I'll have to give your car a listen in person.

I'll have a lot of kit to install that's for sure. Have to find some time, as well as a place, to do it all. May have to take a little PTO at work to knock it all out. I have a mechanic buddy who has so much to work with, but getting into his driveway/full-ass garage is going to be a PITA once I lower the car a bit.

He has a lowered '05 as well and was scraping bad before he took off the lip. Kinda funny how my place is opposite of that; more than enough space to do work, but the amount of tools I have is laughable. I envy the old guys that have acquired tools on their wall over a lifetime. So cool!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 09:48 AM   #58
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do it at my house if you come to CT, lol. I have a 20 car driveway with a 2 car detatched and a single car under house that goes 3 deep plus 2 full snapon roll boxes. Im always looking for other projects.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 10:00 AM   #59
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Haha, thanks for the offer there! Too bad you're only 1300 miles out of the way! You guys on the East coast get to have access to all the nice stuff, with all the tuning shops, parts shops and services! But with all the crazy weather? I'm good over here!!

That sounds like an awesome setup by the way; totally envy that!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-13, 10:32 AM   #60
muller_777
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Car: '18 CBS STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

muller_777 will become famous soon enough

there's a lot of people who add an ewg to the stock vf39..but the problem is it doesn't add anything but noise. the vf39 is not a high boosting turbo, no matter how you cut it. 21 psi is really it's end all threshold. to get the most out of it, every bolt on you can will help.

pnp the factory header is a waste also. it was the thing to do a few years ago, but it's proven an aftermarket kicks it's butt. you won't reap the same benefits. a good gt spec UEL on the vf39 will get you good power.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement