GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 51 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 03-14-16, 12:28 PM   #501
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

No updates from IAG yet other than it was supposed to be starting the teardown->inspection process late last week, but I have not heard anything

The turbo arrived at PRE Tuning for inspection and he noted some inducer wear and worn seals, likely it's what's causing higher amount of standing oil/carbon where there shouldn't be, but he said the turbine shaft is straight and true. Pavel will be replacing all the internal pieces with new ones, media-blasting the turbo housing and the center housing, cleaning up other components, ceramic coating the turbo housing and upgrading the compressor to a billet 11-bladed design.

Still have to order a few other odds and ends, but I will be ready to put everything back together right when the motor comes back. I miss driving the car...

But it'll be so different and much more fun with the finished product.

I'm also in the middle of refreshing my gaming PC which will be complete this week, so I'll upload some pics of that when it's complete!

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 03-14-16 at 12:31 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-16, 11:46 AM   #502
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

As promised, here are some pics of my system in a new home(case) and with newer graphics cards, monitors, and keyboard.

Test fitting and clearances:

Nearing the final cable management out back:

Finished and ready to plug in:

Side panel open:

The finished battlestation:

I'm so impressed with the case and the final look, though there's no way really to fit any more gear in there. It's so clean, although my previous build was super-clean as well, I just wanted a smaller footprint. If the case were any smaller or my PSU any bigger, it would've been no dice. I catch myself sitting there just looking at it sometimes. Though I don't like how my phone gives the lighting a tinge of blue; it's actually pure white lighting in there.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 08:55 AM   #503
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

UPDATE:
I have finally gotten an invoice from IAG and I promptly reviewed and approved it! So here we go!

They have me going to JE ProSeal gaskets in 100mm with 0.039 thickness. They said that the OEM gaskets would be too thin after the re-decking process, even though I believe they said that only .003 would be removed - is that too far out of spec for OEM gaskets? On the surface, I'm inclined to agree with them. Also, my heads have not been decked - they were level enough to not require any work.

Thoughts?

Invoice below:

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-16, 12:17 PM   #504
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

The OE gaskets are about .029" thick, if you're having .003" taken off of both block deck surfaces that's actually .006" across the blcok. The JE's will make up for that and add .004" extra, which won't hurt anything.

I'm surprised the block is even being decked, at least that much since you're relatively low mileage. Service limit is .004" (per side) IIRC.

I'd go with the JE's over OE. the OE gasket works fine but the JE's are designed for a performance build. I'd recommend Fel-Pro (their Subaru HG's have some nice features) if you were putting it together yourself but its goof to go with the builder's preferences when a shop is doing the assembly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 12:23 PM   #505
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

OEM is .023 I believe, but you do make a good point. Also, agreed on what the builder prefers.

The decking is happening as part of the C-D conversion, remember. I'm assuming the reasoning is because the inserts won't be completely flat to the deck after press-in and they want to be absolutely sure of its flatness. Just my initial thought though, could be wrong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 12:23 PM   #506
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

The block has to be decked after having the deck closed. Why does it need a thicker gasket? Are they worried about piston clearance with the head/valves?

As far as total material being remove across the board, adjustable idler pulleys will solve any timing issues.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 12:31 PM   #507
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

They stated to preserve C/R, ensure proper quench, and also yes, piston clearance.

I was mostly concerned about timing, yes. I remember those that LIC sells; are those manual adjustment setup or are they self-adjusting? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the design of those.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 12:34 PM   #508
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

The JE seals my be the way to go. I haven't looked too much into their motors, so I don't really have an opinion on the quench.

They are manual. You set them and lock them down.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 12:58 PM   #509
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Do you think this will cause the belt to be off by a significant margin? >1 tooth? Too much for the tensioner to compensate for? Or will I really not be able to tell until I start putting it all back together?

Because I already bought OEM idlers a while ago
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-16, 01:38 PM   #510
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
UPDATE:
I have finally gotten an invoice from IAG and I promptly reviewed and approved it! So here we go!

They have me going to JE ProSeal gaskets in 100mm with 0.039 thickness. They said that the OEM gaskets would be too thin after the re-decking process, even though I believe they said that only .003 would be removed - is that too far out of spec for OEM gaskets? On the surface, I'm inclined to agree with them. Also, my heads have not been decked - they were level enough to not require any work.

Thoughts?

Invoice below:
Image Link

Image Link
JE pro seal for sure (it beats all the more expensive cosworth and not as reliable cometic crap that is out there ) on a closed deck block. I have not seen any one accumulate a bunch of miles on JE pro seals but multiple 900-1000whp passes were made by junior and they held up perfectly. Personally I have 2000miles on those head gaskets with zero problems while running their 14mm studs and O rings. My setup is always a test bed for longevity I would recommend OEM head gaskets in a heartbeat if the block wasn't closed due to their stellar track record and from personal experience
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement