GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 02-21-13, 12:15 PM   #41
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

So I'm not too sure which CBE to go with, the Blitz Nur Spec Touring or the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Was also possibly thinking about SRS Type RE. The only issue I have with the Blitz and Tanabe is that they neck down ever so slightly at the flange to DP and the SRS is full 3".

I want to do UEL but not too sure what company to go with, because I'd need to think about bolt patterns on UP's for when I'd go EWG. So many choices. Basically I want to go EWG, possibly even on stock turbo, just get a GrimmSpeed IWG bracket. But it all depends on what headers I decide on, since not all UP's fit with all headers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-13, 12:23 PM   #42
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

If you want to go EWG, the only real option is to go with a stock style, bolt-pattern header unless you go with KillerB's full setup... At least I think they're still doing an EWG setup.

The only ELH header I recommend without spending a crap ton of money is the Invidia race without their UP. Both Ross and I run this header and both have been very happy with it. It's actually my favorite mod so far. There is a guy on NSOC that has a Perrin ELH and it doesn't sound as smooth, almost between an ELH and ULH. I had mine coated with by SwainTech before use (sending and S2000 header there this week).

I can't comment on the exhaust... Most seem to like loud Subaru's, I am different. Mine is very quiet. Ross' is quiet too, just not as quiet as mine.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 12:29 PM   #43
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

I really like the idea of the benefits of EL, for sure. Killer B has a UEL? I wasn't aware...

Is stock design 2 or 3-bolt header to UP?

Neither of those 3 are loud at all and they aren't big cans. Just kind of annoyed that the two nicer JDM ones are tapered slighty, whereas the SRS one is full 3".

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 02-21-13 at 12:33 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-13, 12:38 PM   #44
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
I really like the idea of the benefits of EL, for sure. Killer B has a UEL? I wasn't aware...

Neither of those 3 are loud at all and they aren't big cans. Just kind of annoyed that the two nicer JDM ones are tapered slighty, whereas the SRS one is full 3".
Killer b only has el so far as I know. I just bought a set myself. Also it wouldnt do well to go EWG on a stock turbo. Maybe my understanding of them is all wrong, but maybe this will help..

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PA5T5...%3DPA5T5PnWE-k

Invidia and gt spec make killer UEL headers. You would be happy with those.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 12:41 PM   #45
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go gt spec uel with iwg uppipe you can buy this later when you are ready as well..

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/GTSP...TI-8776-1.html
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 12:56 PM   #46
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ah thanks for that. For some reason I forgot about the GTSpec offering. Either of those headers are solid, yea like you said, I'm just concerned about bolt patterns.

I plan to try and get a little more boost out of the 39, so an EWG might be something to look at even on stock.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 01:00 PM   #47
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post

Stock is 2-bolt. KillerB is ELH only. They are working on and EWG option, last I knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06STi Gary View Post
Killer b only has el so far as I know. I just bought a set myself. Also it wouldnt do well to go EWG on a stock turbo. Maybe my understanding of them is all wrong, but maybe this will help..

YouTube

Invidia and gt spec make killer UEL headers. You would be happy with those.
Stock turbo's benefit from an EWG just like any other turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06STi Gary View Post
If you go gt spec uel with iwg uppipe you can buy this later when you are ready as well..

02-07 Subaru WRX & STI GTSPEC EWG Uppipe: JSC Speed
The GT Spec post is a 2-bolt UP just like most of the rest. I would personally go with Grimmspeed in that case.

Personally, if staying UEL, I would just have the stock manifolds ported. You'll see about the same gain without much worry of cracking. I originally read you post as "ELH".

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 02:48 PM   #48
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

No worries. I never thought about porting the stock manifold. Then I may just do an AM crosspipe.

Although I looked into it more just now and it seems they make a UEL that has a 3-bolt collector. They make a standard UP and an EWG UP that fits both 2 and 3-bolt types. The ONLY issue I see at all is with the EWG UP, it looks like it's a 90-degree port. I think it will benefit the stock turbo, and I would be good to go if I decide to go to an AM turbo in the future.

You'd just get everything ported?

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 02-21-13 at 03:15 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 03:28 PM   #49
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

If staying with the sound of inefficiency, yes I would just port the manifolds.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-13, 04:07 PM   #50
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Interesting, gives me something to think about. Definitely some options here, thanks guys.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement