GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 48 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 02-17-16, 01:49 PM   #471
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

Last night, I got the motor wrapped up for shipping and it's ready to go out. I need to send another, more concise email to IAG to let them know, so that will require some thought as I have many detailed instructions and things to think about; have to look semi-professional and intelligent as a customer, no?

Not - "HURR-DURR, CAN U GUYZ LOOK AT MY ENJIN LOL?!!1? - BARONOBEEFDIP AKA xXx420DarkSn1p3rxXx

Moving on, I know it's just a stupid box, but I impressed even myself for coming up with an idea for a box and having it work out so well, the SO thinks I'm weird for getting excited about a box. It cost me $12 in wood and adhesive to do this. The perfect box was at my parents' house. Check out below:

So first I got some lumber cut into sections to frame the bottom of the box and applied Liquid Nails to fuse the lumber together and a sheet of thick cardboard to help align the lumber and also allow sliding all the weight around on a smooth surface. Let it set for 24hrs with weight on it, then stapled over the gaps between each piece of lumber along the outside:

After that, I drove nails through the cardboard base of the box into each outer 2x4 as well as down the center brace 2x4, with each nail having an opposed angle like \ / \ /. Then the thick bottom inner flaps folded down over the outer ones. Finished product like so:

After putting the motor in, we stuffed it with styrofoam and bubblewrap and there was still room for the Manley rods. The box with packing materials is right at 10lbs, and the whole thing is in the range of 65-75, but not completely accurate as I couldn't get the whole thing onto the scale without hitting buttons and I forgot to weigh just the SB like a dunce. But it is nowhere near the 90-100lbs people were saying elsewhere; it was easy to pick up myself. My brother was over to help wrap and take it off the stand, though.

One of the best parts about it is even with the final weight, I can still pick up the whole thing using the handles existing in the cardboard; they don't tear out from all the weight and even better, the bottom doesn't sag! SOLID! Will be sending it out shortly. Shipping and insurance is gonna suuuuck though; I've had a peek at some prices

I've also decided that new OEM case bolts should be sufficient for my power level. Found many accounts of high HP builds still running them, so no money needs spent on ARP ones.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 02-17-16 at 01:57 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-16, 05:48 AM   #472
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Uh. I thought we've agreed that you'll be sending out your closed deck block to me and you'll get my EJ207 Semi Closed back

Packaging Regulations here in Germany say that the content of the package must survive a fall out of 1 meter above ground.

The way you did it looks fine though! Like the idea with the wood structure.

Anyway, glad there's process, can't wait how your engine will turn out!
Wonder when I'll do mine
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-16, 06:04 AM   #473
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Hey then I could do twinscroll!

I believe it would survive that far of a drop. I actually have to tear it all back open because I forgot to put my head gaskets in there. A lot of wasted tape.

Me too, although with as much tracking as you've done already, I'm kinda surprised you haven't started all this yourself.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-16, 06:23 AM   #474
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Why don't you twinscroll your CD?
My EJ207 is Single Scroll too. It's a EUDM Engine not a JDM Engine.

Well, I will start building once something major fails.
I wanna crack the 2 minute mark at the Hockenheimring by driving skill and some wise mods. Not by just throwing in a 450hp engine and then win it on the straights.
If I need to do the engine, I probably just stay semi closed and go 2.1 or 2.2 Liter, whatever it is that you can achieve with the 2.5 liter crank and pistons. Not 100% sure if those are the right ingredients. I haven't put much thought into it at all. Alex told me once but if something is not important I keep forgetting
We'll see.

I just ordered the TMPS System that Dunlop Tire Engineer I've met in Austria suggested to me
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-16, 06:47 AM   #475
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The simple fact is, I'm just not ready to be done with the current turbo yet. I'll be more than content with how it performs with tuning when this is all wrapped up. I'll consider that sort of setup whenever I feel the car(read: me) needs more. I've been talking with Pavel of PRE Tuning about making sure the turbo is mechanically fine. He's been giving me some info and I may have him look at it himself.

Huh, I know yours is a Type UK, but for some reason I thought you had a swap.

Really, working on driving ability and using modest mods is the right thing to do. That's a smart plan and basically what I would've done, but doing all this work now to get ahead of a common failure since I was already quite a ways down the rabbit hole. It all started with the clutch I reckon. I figured do it now, then don't touch it for a long time. I'm not trying to get uber-fast lap times, I just want to be able to push it on track and have fun and not worry about the common failures.

Yeah that Austria trip looked fun! TPMS is handy to have.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 02-18-16 at 06:53 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-16, 07:43 AM   #476
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I guess I would go a different path if I had my own garage where I can spread all the parts out on the floor and don't have to worry about others
But since the garage my car sits has like 16 parking spots for all the people in the house, I'm lucky enought to have at least one of the places on the concrete where I can jack the car up and do basic maintenance (Which is actually not allowed but the house rules but oh well ).
Even all the Flats/Houses we could afford to rent I found in our area don't really have their own garage.

I could have gotten the space my neighbour rented in an industrial hall where a company offers available space for car guys to do their projects. But their pricing is way off! 50squarefoot / 5qm cost 250 a month! That's just WAY too expensive.

Anyway I get what you're saying and I'm sure with the IAG built closed deck you don't really have to worry about engine reliability anymore!

Nope, my STI was always a Single Scroll EJ207. No swap.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-16, 11:46 AM   #477
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, it's certainly a pleasure to have your own space to work in, although what I have is modest compared to others I know.

That is an outrageous price/sq m.

Reliability will definitely be low on the list now, just gotta watch oiling and temps among other things.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-16, 07:27 PM   #478
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

After our monthly maintenance at work yesterday, it was nice out and I worked in the garage with the door open for the first time in a long while. Part of what I did included test-fitting the Blitz Nur Spec Touring exhaust and it's great to see perfect fit; as expected for a JDM part of this quality. See below:

The best part is that it fits perfect, absolutely zero work to adjust it. It looks better than I pictured in my head; it doesn't stick out too far and it's just even and flush with the bumper. Nice!
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-16, 07:48 PM   #479
Foo_Blyat
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Foo_Blyat will become famous soon enough

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-21-16, 08:06 PM   #480
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Exaaactly!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement