GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 28 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-15-15, 02:49 AM   #271
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

Wow........that is all.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-15, 05:52 AM   #272
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Up front again, thanks for the advice guys. I am over certain plans and have put them out of mind, thanks to the deliberation here.

I must say though, due to the tone of some responses, there may be some confusion about where my head is on this. I'm not over here shaking in my boots about this or anything; I realize this isn't life or death, though my car is important to me. I know things will get sorted out, that much is true, I was just going over options in my head and using this journal as an outlet to get feedback and such. I'm only using this space to explain myself.

I was never going to just replace perfectly working parts with new ones for the sake of spending money or peace of mind, but rather, with the engine send-off comment, I would have someone inspect the motor and clean/refurbish/replace whatever was recommended or needed. I wouldn't be like "Eh sure just replace the pistons even though they look and work fine! I don't care!" That's not at all where my mind was on this. I only thought about letting professionals get their hands on it because there are things I can't do(due to lack of knowledge/tools/resources) on my own in my garage. But I realize this is not necessary at this stage.

I am not stressing or worrying or freaking out, I assure you. I just tend to overthink big things is all, but I can see how that can be misconstrued. I am not mad or upset or anything, simply just attempting to clear things up.

To clear up another thing and make myself not sound like an idiot, I'm going to explain this part of my last post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong though, replacing a clutch/flywheel requires separation from the trans(of course), but as well as hoisting it away or pulling it entirely, no?
What I was trying to say with that was this: since I have motor mounts that are waiting to go on, and the recent and more frequently-occurring clutch slippage(which has been occurring over the past couple years) have made me start to consider replacing it more than before, it then follows that the motor and trans need to be, at the least separated(which is something that I'm obviously aware of and why in my quote above you'll notice I said "of course") to install a clutch and the motor raised slightly for the GrpN mounts. Those are two key details because...

...by that point, that's pretty much having the motor pulled, except for some connections to breather lines and the oil/cooling lines to the turbo. But I was being told not to pull the motor; it just seemed a little contradictory at first, that's all. You can see where I'm coming from, right?

Jason, your previous post is sound. Anyways, this has all been helpful, really; thanks guys.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-15-15 at 07:57 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-15-15, 08:08 AM   #273
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Also forgot to say, my intentions were well-meaning with the above post. I reread it and I can see how it may come off as arrogant or finger-pointing. I was only trying to get on the same page and clear the air. I do not want anyone to be turned off to helping, advising or coming back to my journal. I welcome criticism and advice, I just want to make my thought process known by everyone following, that's all. I just want things to be objective and pleasant around here; I very much enjoy talking with you all.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-15, 07:14 AM   #274
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So last night begins the long arduous process of cleaning things up a bit before they go back on. Below is a pic showing the result after just using Zep Industrial Purple. I have only addressed the passenger side block half:

I am going to try using Simple Green as well, but it is coming along, albeit slowly. If you'll notice a bit of a kludge there on the block's coolant inlets, can you guess what those are? I'll tell you....they're the rubber covers that go over the windshield wiper motor nuts. I was trying a couple different ways to cover the inlets that weren't working very well, looked up at the wipers and noticed the covers were roughly the same size. So I took them off and popped them on and they fit....weird?!

Just to note, while my car is stamped 04/04 and the VIN is well after the TSB from Subaru that was cautioning the AVCS and turbo oil feed line screens, I found no screen on the passenger side AVCS banjo bolt. I did not look at the driver's side since I assume it's not there. I have not looked at the turbo banjo bolt yet.

I'm going to be ordering some replacement parts here shortly for bolts and whatnot. Fun times.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 07:22 AM   #275
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

What bolt did you pull for the AVCS on the driver's side. I am guessing you looked at the wrong one like I initially did. I found the bolts in mine and my car was made well after yours.

For cleaning, you could always go at it with a Power Cone and aluminum polish.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 07:29 AM   #276
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I removed the bolt in the solenoid/sensor housing in the lower left of the pic; the hardline that goes from the top of the head to the back of the block. I only did the passenger side, not the driver's side. Wrong one?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 07:36 AM   #277
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

The filter will be on the back of the head on the passenger side. Driver's side will be behind the timing belt cover.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 07:43 AM   #278
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

D'oh! Figures....I'll have to get at the passenger side and the turbo screen when I get back under there to take a crack at the exhaust/uppipe again. I'll try for the driver's side tonight.

And related, still haven't seen my shorter ramps show up at my door. Delays....

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-17-15 at 08:44 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 08:44 AM   #279
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Looks like good progress! If you're feeling spicy you can go at that corrosion with a brass wire brush or a scotchbrite pad (that's what I did to clean up my block which I should have opted to have soda blasted).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-15, 09:24 AM   #280
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
D'oh! Figures....I'll have to get at the passenger side and the turbo screen when I get back under there to take a crack at the exhaust/uppipe again. I'll try for the driver's side tonight.

And related, still haven't seen my shorter ramps show up at my door. Delays....
The passenger side and turbo screen will be one in the same, IIRC (one on the head).

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement