GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 26 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-13-15, 07:46 AM   #251
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

You pull the intake manifold, TGV's and fuel rails as one.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-15, 08:15 AM   #252
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

I thought that would be the way to do it yes, but when I went to do that, I couldn't get the whole assembly to budge off the block. I am pretty sure that I had everything necessary disconnected and ready to be pulled off, but I will go back and try this.

Got any free time coming up by chance?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 08:18 AM   #253
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

The hard lines are bolted to the bottom of the intake. If you cannot get the whole assembly off the block, the gaskets may be sticking for you have something still attached or in the way.

No idea about any free time currently.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-15, 08:26 AM   #254
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Yes I did notice that originally. What I meant was the whole assembly, IM, TGVs and lines; I couldn't get it to move for some reason. But I will go back and try removing it all at once again.

Sure, just let me know sometime.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 09:07 AM   #255
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

This may be a dumb question but you have all the wires disconnected, right? The knock sensor connector, coolant temp sensor connector and the one wire connector that goes to the PS pump are easy to overlook. They probably wouldn't prevent you from being able to lift the manifold at all though.

Also the first time I removed my intake manifold, I had to "persuade" it off with a pry bar. It didn't take a lot of pressure, just a little lift from below to break the gaskets free.

Love the work space by the way!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 09:24 AM   #256
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_05_STi View Post
This may be a dumb question but you have all the wires disconnected, right? The knock sensor connector, coolant temp sensor connector and the one wire connector that goes to the PS pump are easy to overlook. They probably wouldn't prevent you from being able to lift the manifold at all though.

Also the first time I removed my intake manifold, I had to "persuade" it off with a pry bar. It didn't take a lot of pressure, just a little lift from below to break the gaskets free.

Love the work space by the way!
Nah, it's not a dumb question, it helps to have others question things or have another set of eyes. But yes, I have all of those disconnected. The PS assembly is still connected but it is unmounted and set out of the way. That first pic of the engine bay is not what it looks like now, I have progressed a bit further.

Seems you're right; I may have to do a little "persuasion" to remove mine. I had a feeling all this time that it was the gaskets' seal to the surfaces that was the culprit; good to know that others have confirmed similarly and that I'm not crazy.

Thanks, I like my area now.... it was pretty dismal in there before what it is now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 09:56 AM   #257
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Nah, it's not a dumb question, it helps to have others question things or have another set of eyes. But yes, I have all of those disconnected. The PS assembly is still connected but it is unmounted and set out of the way. That first pic of the engine bay is not what it looks like now, I have progressed a bit further.

Seems you're right; I may have to do a little "persuasion" to remove mine. I had a feeling all this time that it was the gaskets' seal to the surfaces that was the culprit; good to know that others have confirmed similarly and that I'm not crazy.

Thanks, I like my area now.... it was pretty dismal in there before what it is now.
Gotcha!

I like Fel-Pro's gaskets for the intake manifold. They have a special coating that not only helps them seal but also prevents sticking upon removal.

The TGV to head gaskets:

TGV to intake:

The TGV to intake gaskets are nice because they're steel core gaskets so they hold up well to boost. The blue elastomer bead takes the place of the single emboss on the OE gaskets. I port matched mine to the TGV's before realizing I didn't need to because the intake runners were smaller diameter anyhow.

The TGV to head gaskets are steel core as well but have a different facing material.

Sorry to clog up your post with pictures and definitely use whatever gasket you'd like. I don't know how often you plan on pulling the manifold either. OEM works but like I said these are easier to remove in the future if you need to. I did have to drill out the alignment pin holes ever so slightly on the TGV to head gaskets because they didn't want to lay completely flat. After that they fit fine.

A quick lift up with a prybar on the driver side broke both sets of intake runners free of the gaskets on m car. I also had 82ish K miles on mine when I pulled the manifold the first time. With only 31K miles you may find it even easier.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 11:06 AM   #258
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Great pics and info there! No, I don't mind you posting them in my journal. By all means, I welcome this stuff, brings attention to my journal more!

As for gaskets on my end though, I won't be using any since I have composite deletes going on. They have rubber rings on both IM>TGV and TGV>head surfaces that act as gaskets essentially. I think they will hold up to boost pressures with proper torquing of the bolts. That said, it's a little unexpected that I'd have that much trouble prying the runners free of the heads considering my mileage. I DON'T want to do this very often.

I think I may do some more teardown tonight depending on how hot it is in the garage. It has been miserable the past several days here in balmy NE. It's crazy how what's essentially prairie land can get so fucking swampy-feeling. The humidity percentage is over 9000. Heh.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-15, 05:57 AM   #259
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, I had motivation yesterday after work to get out there and take more apart. The IM is now off and I knew what to expect as far as debris and shit on top of the block(which I have cleaned off), but it has me thinking about the big picture here. See below:

Big picture....as in pulling the motor. I know Jason said that it would be trouble, but I can't help but think at this stage and with timing, it would be best to knock out a bunch of things for peace of mind really. The block is in serious need of cleaning. There's corrosion/blowby down in the intake ports, I took the cover off the crankcase port and the flywheel looks like it's seen better days. I've wanted a new clutch anyways for a while now, since the stock one slips at random times, even under light load.

I'm just brainstorming, weighing my options and thinking of what I can do myself versus what I could pay to have done. Maybe sending the block off to get insepcted/refreshed. I'm not talking about a forged bottom end, but at least replacing with fresh OEM, depending on what it looks like in there. I just feel like that would be best at this point; after that I think the motor will be good for years to come since it's now in the hands of someone who cares about it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-15, 08:05 AM   #260
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

You are WAY over-stressing about all of this. Clean up what you can and put it back together. If the motor is healthy, run it. The car/motor has 30k miles on it... What are you going to replace/freshen up? The most you'll do is break more shit to fix a perfectly running motor.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement