GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 25 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-06-15, 07:55 PM   #241
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

Okay, so I hit it again tonight to try and progress a little...got the AC compressor off(what a pain) and the turbo heatshield off, as well as the two top bolts....however, of course, you guessed it...another snag that may require some heat....the very far side nut won't come loose at all. In fact, I have rounded off part of it , when I thought I had began to make it loose. Aaaaand even better, the rear bolt on the power steering bracket completely sheared off and the remainder is stuck in the top of the block. I just stood there a stared at it for a while, wondering what to do next.

Good grief, all these problematic bolts are having me feel a little defeated at the moment. Fuck.

On a side note, some pics of my area as stated earlier.

Built these for basic use:

The clearance:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-15, 08:24 PM   #242
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Hmm... You disconnected the A/C lines? Why do you need to remove the compressor?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 08:35 PM   #243
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Yes I did. This is because the current compressor that was in it is on its way out. When the A/C is engaged the compressor squeals big time. Really loud. When looking at it while on, the compressor wheel grabs and spins with the belt, but then lets go and it spins free as if it were off. It does this every few seconds or so. So either the internals are bad, or the electrical signal cuts out and the magnet disengages. Pretty sure it's not an electrical issue. Either way, I have a replacement unit ready to swap in, and it is much better looking to boot. Nowhere near as corroded as the old one. I had the system/lines evacuated prior to doing this of course.

It's quite clear this car was "stored" very terribly while down in Florida. I'm not at all near having all the top-end stuff off the engine and have already sucked up about 2 pounds worth of debris and literal mouse crap off the top of the block. I knew it was there to begin with, but I am already pissed off about it.

This is my outlet to vent sometimes I suppose.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-13-15 at 09:30 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-15, 08:48 PM   #244
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Eh... I really cannot see the compressor being on its way out with what, 3x,xxx miles. Did you try tightening or replacing the belt... since it's the belt that squeals? The compressor will cycle when it runs.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 08:58 PM   #245
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Just shy of 31,000 actually. I did try tightening it, but did not replace it. The belt looks new, and I'm pretty certain the dealer replaced the belts before I took it. But I can try that as well eventually.

Part of me wishes I had like, a month straight off of work to knock all this out, and a small fraction of me just never wants to look at it ever again. I consider myself an incredibly patient person, but this is quite daunting. A million things are on my mind, most of which are centered around what I'm going to do about all this. And I haven't even scratched the surface here.

I always respected self-builders, but I have a new level of respect for you guys. Seriously, this shit is taxing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 09:06 PM   #246
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Honestly, I have found Subaru's to be a pain in the ass. Easy stuff becomes a terror and shit breaks for no reason. I can say I have zero desire to ever buy another.

On another note, I have an impact, compressor, A/C vacuum pump, A/C gauges, and all kinds of other shit.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 09:21 PM   #247
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm really starting to believe that. Never thought I'd say that. Maybe it was the soft spot I always had for the STi, or maybe I just have rose-colored glasses.

Well, I'd love to stop by sometime and pick something up from you if didn't mind(obivously the car is in no shape to move) or you could pop on over to my place and drop some knowledge/drop some shit off. Cold-ass beers provided of course!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-07-15, 07:50 AM   #248
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Tinted windows
My Subaru Parts for sale

thundercamel is on a distinguished road

Annoying AC self tensioning belt. I wouldn't be surprised if someone used the next size up because it seems like such a tight fit:

https://www.youtube.com/v/GE5lkGNXz_c
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-07-15, 09:02 AM   #249
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

It's definitely not one of those belts, but it is a Gates; the part number is on the belt, but I'll have to look at it when I get home.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 07:27 AM   #250
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Okay, so not too much progress since the last update but I do have the power steering stuff out of the way and the IM almost ready to come off. It would be off already but I cannot get the fuel hard lines out of the way enough on the driver's side to lift the IM up(since they are nestled between runners 2 and 4). So, it's looking like the hard lines need to come off with the IM.

Slowly but surely.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement