GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 24 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 01-23-15, 10:56 AM   #231
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **hibernation mode activated**

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercamel View Post
That's a lot of parts waiting to go on! It'll make a huge difference. I ended up not really being a fan of coilovers once I tried them out. Group N motor mounts good. I see rear subframe lockdown bolts, but I don't see the diff bushings or front diff carrier bushings.
Yeah it sure is! I know the car will be so much different, and I'm excited for that. Coilovers are not for everyone I suppose, but I am confident that Fortune Auto is a great choice and they stand behind their work....we'll see.

I figured the GrpN mounts would serve my needs even though they succumb to the same wear and tear issues that the OEMs do. But then again, mine will last a lot longer than the average user since my motor isn't going to be high-powered, nor does the car get driven in the inclement weather. So I don't need really beefy(or expensive!) ones like the TiC or Torque Solution offerings.

I actually planned on getting a bushing set that includes those that you said, but I have yet to purchase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
What coilovers did you have?
I think camel had SST's, but I could be wrong :/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-15, 08:10 AM   #232
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Tinted windows
My Subaru Parts for sale

thundercamel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
I think camel had SST's, but I could be wrong :/
Yup, TiC SST coilovers, which I need to sell. I liked the reduced friction from a non-inverted strut. The car would take a seat very quickly with each direction change during a slalom for example. I got the settings comfy enough in the summer, but the winter was too bouncy. Mostly the lack of rear droop bugged me in my head.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-26-15, 09:01 AM   #233
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I'm loving my street oriented coilovers (KWv1).

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-15, 01:40 PM   #234
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercamel View Post
Yup, TiC SST coilovers, which I need to sell. I liked the reduced friction from a non-inverted strut. The car would take a seat very quickly with each direction change during a slalom for example. I got the settings comfy enough in the summer, but the winter was too bouncy. Mostly the lack of rear droop bugged me in my head.
Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. You shouldn't really need to upgrade the suspension on the '15 for a while though! And I was surprised because only recently I found out you got a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I'm loving my street oriented coilovers (KWv1).
I of course was looking real hard at those when I was shopping around!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-15, 10:26 AM   #235
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Couple days ago ordered a satin fleece indoor California Car Cover. Neato.

Will be selling my Superweave soon hopefully.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-15, 07:48 AM   #236
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

Well it's been a while since I updated here, but I sold the old car cover and the new satin fleece is pretty damn nice, won't scratch the paint. Fits pretty tight but it has some stretch in it.

Also put up my stock BBS for sale in the local forums, as well as here and NASIOC.

And on a related note, new shoes!

So no GTV02s sadly, those are such great wheels. But the deal on the Advans was just too good to pass on.

Also, leaving for Scotland tomorrow. Then when I get back, it's go time on those parts. I really am itching to finish and drive the car, it's been waaaaay too long now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-15, 12:53 PM   #237
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Scotland was awesome as I was expecting it to be, already miss it and not ready to be back at work! We saw castles, Loch Ness, a lot of other cool things. The first person we talked to after getting out of the airport was a guy at the Hertz rental counter. I handed him the card I booked the rental with and he saw my STi on it(custom credit card design) and he asked if it was mine. When I told him yes, he said he used to have one too!

Then we of course got to talking about our cars and since my GF was apprehensive about having a manual trans, he upgraded us to an automatic with satnav for no extra coin; pretty cool of him, since both of those would've cost a boatload more! Guess it pays to find other Subaru fans. And I was so ready to be shifting with my left hand too...... Gotta get ready somehow for when I import an R34 VSpec II in 10 years!

Anyway...going to start getting the garage ready for the parts install! Stay tuned!

In the words of Bender:

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 05-11-15 at 12:56 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 11:47 AM   #238
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I've logged in and poked around....

I've driven the car a total of what....3 times this year? That's sad....and there won't be anymore driving for a while because I jumped in and started taking the engine apart!

Taking pictures of the important bits and organizing them on the bench. I am trying to do as much as I can myself....however, I've run into a few snags. I need to start searching around the forums and such but I'm gonna blow off a little steam here anyways.

So I'm trying to think of the next steps and what to disassemble next, but I have the alternator off, not sure what to do about the power steering pump. Trying to get the damn AC compressor off, but there is one more bolt underneath that secures it to the block/bracket, so I think a bunch of other stuff needs to come off first. I have all the other basic stuff off...intercooler, airbox, etc.

But goddamn it, there's one bolt/nut pair on the crosspipe that is completely frozen; can't loosen, can't tighten, I have doused it in PB Blaster, but it won't move. NOT TO MENTION the three driver side exhaust manifold studs....I don't know what else to try other than an impact tool. Or heating them up, but with the clearance to the ground, I have just enough room to slide under the front and get my arms in there too, so with little space to work with, I'd likely burn myself or something with a torch. I am SO not looking forward to the downpipe/turbo fasteners.

I was a fucking idiot and didn't compensate for the suspension travel when it's unloaded, so the Race Ramp cribs I bought(12 inches) are too tall. I thought I would be able to, but I can't jack the car up high enough to get 'em under the wheels. Luckily KMJ Performance is letting me exchange them out for 8 inch ones...

The only viable solution after all that that I can think of is just pulling the motor entirely, flipping it upside down on a stand, and getting a breaker bar on there. My next step is to maybe try an impact tool, but the friend of mine who has all the tools(including an engine stand, hoist, etc.) is flakier than a croissant. I may have to just bite the bullet and just buy my own I guess.

I'll have some pics up tonight maybe. If I have the humility to set foot in the garage again that is....

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-06-15 at 12:54 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 11:56 AM   #239
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I've logged in and poked around....

I've driven the car a total of what....3 times this year? That's sad....and there won't be anymore driving for a while because I jumped in and started taking the engine apart!

Taking pictures of the important bits and organizing them on the bench. I am trying to do as much as I can myself....however, I've run into a few snags. I need to start searching around the forums and such but I'm gonna blow off a little steam here anyways.

So I'm trying to think of the next steps and what to disassemble next, but I have the alternator off, not sure what to do about the power steering pump. Trying to get the damn AC compressor off, but there is one more bolt underneath that secures it to the block/bracket, so I think a bunch of other stuff needs to come off first. I have all the other basic stuff off...intercooler, airbox, etc.
Take the three bolts out that hold the PS pump to the block, unclip the reservoir and then set it aside without disconnecting any fluid lines. The bottom bolt on the A/C can be taken out without removing additional stuff.

Quote:
But goddamn it, there's one bolt/nut pair on the crosspipe that is completely frozen; can't loosen, can't tighten, I have doused it in PB Blaster, but it won't move. NOT TO MENTION the three driver side exhaust manifold studs....I don't know what else to try other than an impact tool. Or heating them up, but with the clearance to the ground, I have just enough room to slide under the front and get my arms in there too, so with little space to work with, I'd likely burn myself or something with a torch. I am SO not looking forward to the downpipe/turbo fasteners.
Heat the nut for a few seconds with MAP gas and impact that shit off.

Quote:
I was fucking idiot and didn't compensate for the suspension travel when it's unloaded, so the Race Ramp cribs I bought(12 inches) are too tall. I thought I would be able to, but I can't jack the car up high enough to get 'em under the wheels. Luckily KMJ Performance is letting me exchange them out for 8 inch ones...
Got a picture? I use Race Ramp Trakjax to get the car up a couple inches to be able to get to the center jacking point. Then I lift it high enough to put on some ramps I got a AutoZone years ago, if I'm not using jack stands.

Quote:
The only viable solution after all that that I can think of is just pulling the motor entirely, flipping it upside down on a stand, and getting a breaker bar on there. My next step is to maybe try an impact tool, but the friend of mine who has all the tools including an (engine stand, hoist, etc.) is flakier than a croissant. I may have to just bite the bullet and just buy my own I guess.

I'll have some pics up tonight maybe. If I have the humility to set foot in the garage again that is....
IMPACT! You don't want to pull the motor... You'll find all kinds of crap that won't want to come apart, even on cars that are low mileage and haven't seen winter.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-15, 12:48 PM   #240
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I will try this. Like I said, my friend is hit or miss to get a hold of; he has all the gear for that.

I'll also get some pics up tonight of the modest work area. It'll make more sense instead of paragraphs of explanations, haha!

My thinking on pulling the motor was that the motor has to be raised slightly anyway to get at the back bolts for the oil pan and the motor mounts as well, so I figured that just made sense and that was a logical conclusion.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-06-15 at 01:41 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement