IW STi Forum banner

Baron's '05 STi journal - **Car is gone, now have R34 GT-R :)**

152K views 1K replies 41 participants last post by  BaronOBeefdip 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings IWSTI! I am finally creating my journal after reading through so many awesome ones and being on here since early 2012. Long time coming...

I've been obsessed with cars as far back as I can remember, so I can't really get enough of 'em actually. I've also been a longtime follower of motorsports, including WRC, which is where the love for Subaru began. Watching the GCs dominate in the late 90's and GCs/GDs in the early 00's was so memorable. Then when I saw that the STi was coming to U.S. shores for the '04 model year, it was desire right there. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of the GDB chassis. I just knew I had to have one some day. I never gave up that dream and finally, in May of 2012, I was able to get one after an extensive search. I knew what I wanted, so I was on a two year hunt for an untouched, low mileage, one owner car with a clear history/title, and it had to be a fair price to boot!

I found the car the same day that Subaru of Gainesville had listed it on the internet and somehow, I was the first one to call about it. It had just over 28k on the odo, one owner, and was bone-stock. It wasn't listed more than 24hrs and after talking it over with the salesman, my mind was made up: I had to jump on this one because the price was remarkably fair compared to what the rest of the market was doing at the time. After working out a fair deal, it was shipped to me up in Nebraska, and it's been a joy to own ever since.....

Only problems were one wheel had some minor curbage and there were many bug marks permanently in the paint all over the front clip, because the owner did not like to clean I guess. After the flurry of getting things done right after the first month of ownership(it really needed a deep clean, since the previous owner did not care much, and the dealer's "detail" department was less than optimal in their work on it), I decided to fix the major cosmetic issues rather than put money into performance mods. I had the front bumper, hood, hood scoop, and trunk lid repainted. Also had some surfaces buffed and small dents removed. The rest of the car could use a good buff and there are a few small rock chips here and there that I will be touching up myself, but other than that, the paint and clear coat is in good shape and it's a damn perfect car. I am very particular and detail-oriented, so this translates to my car.

As for my plans with it, it's a nice weather toy only. My goals are pretty modest and not attention-grabbing, so to some of you my journal may be somewhat boring and the upgrades may be rather slow since I won't be dumping all my money into it(read: not abusing it and racing irresponsibly).

I have a pretty well-thought out mod path and I know most of the parts that I want to put into it(but suggestions are welcome), so whatever the best power gains from the best possible tuning, I will be happy with. When I'm done upgrading, I'm shooting for somewhere between 330-380whp, but it won't be the easiest to obtain 320 on the 39. I will NOT be going rotated or FMIC probably ever. I want to retain responsiveness and drivability, so I will be staying with the stock turbo as long as I can, as well as the TMIC orientation. I know there's really not that much lag involved, but everyone goes rotated and FMIC around here and I'm not really looking for huge power. I want to be a bit different. Who knows, I may eventually consider an 18 or 20G though; would love to have a ball-bearing turbo. Too bad VF34's don't pop up very often! Most everything else is fair game. I do plan on replacing or upgrading much of the chassis and suspension components relatively soon.

Whew! As I said my journal may be boring to some and it will take some time for parts to go on it, but I welcome discussions on anything and like to talk technical, so have at it! I'm over on that OTHER Subaru forum(NASIOC) with the same name.

More to come!!

Attachments

See less See more
#506 ·
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

The block has to be decked after having the deck closed. Why does it need a thicker gasket? Are they worried about piston clearance with the head/valves?

As far as total material being remove across the board, adjustable idler pulleys will solve any timing issues.

#507 ·

They stated to preserve C/R, ensure proper quench, and also yes, piston clearance.

I was mostly concerned about timing, yes. I remember those that LIC sells; are those manual adjustment setup or are they self-adjusting? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the design of those.

#508 ·

The JE seals my be the way to go. I haven't looked too much into their motors, so I don't really have an opinion on the quench.

They are manual. You set them and lock them down.

#509 ·

Do you think this will cause the belt to be off by a significant margin? >1 tooth? Too much for the tensioner to compensate for? Or will I really not be able to tell until I start putting it all back together?

Because I already bought OEM idlers a while ago :(

#512 ·

Completely forgot you were going closed deck. I know it in the title but I didn't have it in mind. the ~.010" your block will "grow" with the .039" gaskets probably won't affect cam timing enough to require the LIC adjustable pulleys. You could always see how your cams line up one the engine is back together when you set the timing and decide if they're really worth it.

And yeah, spec on the OE HG's is .023", sorry. I was thinking of the Fel-Pro replacements which are .029" thick. They're a bit thicker to accommodate a light milling or decking.

#513 · (Edited)

No worries. Yeah I figured that would be the answer - can't really tell until everything starts going back together and see how it all lines up. I mean I would hope that the tensioner could account for ~0.010" either way, added or removed. I mean, I also hope for a million dollars, but that doesn't make it a reality. It's just a habit of mine to order parts ahead of time so that time isn't wasted when I need them.

Again, no prob. Thanks for the feedback.

#514 · (Edited)

So I got the turbo back from Pavel today; looks real good, and I can't wait to run it through its paces! Although it's interesting, I've never seen a thermal coating that was chromed ;)

Also, an update from IAG says that most of the machining work is done and that it's ready and in line to get bored and honed, then assembly! Woo!

#515 · (Edited)

Small wiring question:

I was wiring up my gauges last night and I used this tutorial here: Gauge Installation Electrical Wiring Tips and Pics Defi and Others - NASIOC to use as a guide for my wiring. In this example, he is wiring up 3 Defi gauges and the Defi control box. I am only wiring 3 small Autometer digital gauges.

I spliced in to the same wires as in the example, would I be ok to splice all 3 12V power wires to the same switched 12V power from the Subaru harness? All the wires are roughly the same gauge - 20AWG. The instructions for each gauge also recommend a 3A fuse for each power wire - is that too much resistance over the single 12V? I can't imagine the power draw is very large.

Also I saw a testing video where someone was showing the power draw of 6 Autometer gauges, and all 6 were at load only measuring ~0.6A; maybe I only need one 3A fuse?

Like I said, the tutorial I linked above is powering all those pieces from the wires he specified. Am I good to go? I was thinking of sending an email to Autometer....

#518 ·

So I got the gauges/pod all buttoned up a few days ago, although I'm going to leave some of the dash off until after first start in case there are any issues with them; I can address them easily with everything removed. Overall, I'm pleased with how the gauges and pod look together; I like the understated OEM vibe.

I also installed the DW301 fuel pump last night. Since the DW is physically longer than the OEM pump, I was not able to keep the rubber pump isolator at the bottom of the bracket, however I used some pliers to bend the bottom of the bracket up towards the bottom of the pump, so it won't move around. Also, I removed the original box around the fuel sock. Overall a pretty easy install.

IAG said the motor should be ready to come back to me early next week.

#519 ·

Is the metal body of the pump now in contact with the metal hanger of the sending unit?

If so, you may end up having some fueling issues. The fuel pump duty cycle is controlled by PWM using a pulsed ground signal from the OE FPC, so the metal body of the pump needs to be isolated from anything else that's metal to prevent interference with the ground signal (at least I know that's the case with the big Walbro pump like I'm running).

#520 ·

I may have to look at it again....but the pump bottom is plastic. Also the only other contact it has are two screws protruding from the bracket; they are just slightly touching the pump, just barely.

#523 ·

Haha yes, seems you guys are right, I'm dumb. I was just thinking about it earlier today that I should leave it on.

I actually just got done putting the fuel pump assembly back in the car and put the box back on as well as the isolator. Seems I was able to fit it by bending the bracket a bit more and then bending it back up underneath the isolator. Not sure why I didn't just try it last night. And with the isolator on Kyle, the pump no longer touches the two bolts on the bracket; the pump is about 1.5mm from the bolts.

#524 ·

Nice, good work!

I'm actually pulling my sending unit today to make sure my pump isn't touching anything metal. With the Walbro 450/465/whatever it's called now, I had no choice but to delete the box that goes around the sock. I also cut up some in-tank fuel line to make isolators for it, but I want to make sure none of them shifted.

#525 ·

The EUDM Cars don't have the box and I get stuttering out of corners when there is less than half a tank left at the Racetrack.

I actually wanted to try and fit a box but I've been too lazy to do it.
Have a new RCM Fuelpump laying around for more than a year haha

#526 ·

Kyle - I guess now that we're talking about it, it gives you the motivation to go check yours. I'm using my original sock since it was still in good shape. The box wouldn't fit over the newer sock properly.

Ben - that's interesting, I didn't know that. I wonder what the reasoning was on that. I really started thinking that I should keep it, and the other guys here confirmed it. Just get out there and do it!

#527 ·

You guys also have the Fuel Filter on the Pump assembly while I have mine in the engine bay.
For whatever reason :)

As far as I know the box isn't enough though to conquer less-than-half-a-tank stuttering.
Then again, I only drive 20 minute turns on the Hockenheimring. I usually just refuel the car after two to get around the issue.

#531 ·

Ben - Well I need to get the SB back from IAG and then get it all back together and get tuning first!

I'd like to do a couple trackdays towards mid to end of summer, nothing serious, just get familiar with how the car changed due to all this work. However, this is all dependent on how fast I get through breaking in the motor/clutch package. But I would like to get a couple outings done this year.

Jason - I remember seeing that; it's a real nice setup for sure. Who knows, I may end up having to go that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.