GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 06-29-13, 09:22 AM   #141
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Ordered everything I need...I love waiting for packages! I will be holding off on the Killer B parts until the headlight is sold though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-13, 11:30 AM   #142
06STi Gary
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Methanol Injection
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

06STi Gary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Ordered everything I need...I love waiting for packages! I will be holding off on the Killer B parts until the headlight is sold though.
Haha! Liar. Nobody likes waiting.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-29-13, 05:04 PM   #143
RecceRS
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Privacy
My Subaru Parts for sale

RecceRS is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06STi Gary View Post
Haha! Liar. Nobody likes waiting.
Only in Nebraska... they have nothing else to do anyway!

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-13, 01:13 PM   #144
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecceRS View Post
Only in Nebraska... they have nothing else to do anyway!

Haha, pretty much. We don't have a lot here. I should've said I like expecting packages!

Got everything ready to go! Just gotta pick a date to coordinate to do this! yamahaSHO has KINDLY offered his help here! I have read all the threads concerned with removing the Brembos; fingers are crossed. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. I may just go get some PB Blaster from Home Depot or something and drench it for a couple days prior, although everything looks pretty clean under there. No rust!

But who knows, they may be seized up in there pretty good. I've seen some other threads mention that the torque specs on those bolts should be 82-85 ft. lbs, but that they may have come out of the factory at something like ~114 ft. lbs?!?! Or maybe that's what people had to apply to break their seized bolts due to weathering? Can anyone confirm this?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-13, 09:37 AM   #145
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Update for anyone following...No pics though, sorry! Will have some soon!

So yesterday, was a busy day even though there wasn't a whole lot of parts going on. Rolled over the big 30k(sniff sniff), aaaaannnd forgot my camera to take any pics of the process, woops! Long story and conversations short, it all went pretty good, we just like to take our time. Much was learned on my part. It was invaluable to work with someone so knowledgeable.

With top-notch help from yamahaSHO, the DBA rotors, Cosworth pads, and AMS lines and Wix oil filter were installed. We changed oil, trans, diff, and brake fluid as well. Coolant flush will be done sometime next week.

I am not sure if PB Blaster is to thank completely for this, but there wasn't one seized caliper bolt! That was what I was most concerned about. While putting everything back together, some anti-seize was applied to stave off corrosion and seizing too. Everything was torqued by hand for the most part. Took off the front dust covers too.

On the way to his place though, I randomly threw an evap code(forgot to get the number) that brought on the CEL and blinking cruise control. That was cleared. I was told it could be the gas cap, lines, or charcoal canister. I will have to go back to that later.

On the way home, things felt smooth all around. Shifting was always pretty effortless before, but it was a little easier this time, didn't feel notchy(is that a word?!) at all. The engine sounded and felt a bit smoother and a little quiter at idle too(not sure if you can really quantify that, haha!). Things stayed at normal temp, brakes felt smooth and they were a lot quieter too; no more dull drone when coming to a stop. I'll have to keep an eye on dusting to see if the reviews are true about low dust. They still need to be bedded in though, as I didn't want to do that process with all the leftover parts unsecured and sliding around in my car. Will do that soon. As far as I can tell, no leaks anywhere, which is what to shoot for!

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 07-26-13 at 09:49 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-13, 11:25 AM   #146
RecceRS
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Privacy
My Subaru Parts for sale

RecceRS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
On the way to his place though, I randomly threw an evap code(forgot to get the number) that brought on the CEL and blinking cruise control. That was cleared. I was told it could be the gas cap, lines, or charcoal canister. I will have to go back to that later.
You know where to go to if you want pointers on how to get rid of that system, don't you ?

I don't recommend it for a DD though... slight fuel smell, inspections, that stuff... You'd also need to get the CEL codes disabled (there's 4 constant ones, plus a 5th that comes out over time).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-13, 10:48 PM   #147
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Bed those brakes in yet? I'm curious to hear how you like them.

As far as dust, you're going to lose that battle with slotted rotors. Your best bet is: RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!. Glad you're happy with the outcome.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-27-13, 07:47 AM   #148
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecceRS View Post
You know where to go to if you want pointers on how to get rid of that system, don't you ?

I don't recommend it for a DD though... slight fuel smell, inspections, that stuff... You'd also need to get the CEL codes disabled (there's 4 constant ones, plus a 5th that comes out over time).
Something tells me you're referring to your journal.....ha!

Since it's not my DD, I guess I'm good there. I'm not sure what the NE DMV policy is on inspections and smog testing. Of all the cars I've owned/relicensed, I've only ever had them inspect upon registering it for the first time. I'm sure they do it if someone is ticketed for loud or old, shoddy exhaust in secondary offense or something. I did get the code cleared though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Bed those brakes in yet? I'm curious to hear how you like them.

As far as dust, you're going to lose that battle with slotted rotors. Your best bet is: RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!. Glad you're happy with the outcome.
Hey! No, I didn't have time yesterday to do it, but I'm shooting for sometime after work today or tomorrow. There's a decent amount of road by my place that should be good. I'm sure they will feel great, and even better once I get the new(to me!) rubber on next week.

I remember you were talking a lot about RejeX, thanks for the link, I'll have to get some. I'm very happy with the outcome!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-13, 11:54 AM   #149
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **lookin' subtle and aggressive**

Alright, I'm pleased to show everyone who's following, how its sits as of today. The SSR Type C RS wheels look so great on this color combo. I can't believe I was looking at other wheels before even getting these on. I know it's not a major change, but it's significant enough for me; I have eyes for detail, and as I'm sure you can tell I'm not one for flashiness; it's all about the subdued and slight aggressiveness for me. Alright, time to let the pics do the talking:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-13, 11:58 AM   #150
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **lookin' subtle and aggressive**

Here are some more:

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 08-06-13 at 12:06 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement