GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 04-23-13, 08:35 PM   #101
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **spring somewhat here**

So, recently ordered some JDM fog surrounds, and today set up a Thursday appointment with a local tint guy to work his magic. Going with 35% on the front and 20% in the rear. He's also gonna lay on a vinyl visor for the windshield. The color is a shade of blue that is close to WRB. It'll be about 4 inches wide all the way across the top. Should look real good. Nice and simple, yet noticeable.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-13, 08:42 AM   #102
Kevinmfb
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: OBP 09 WRX 5-Door
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kevinmfb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
He's also gonna lay on a vinyl visor for the windshield. The color is a shade of blue that is close to WRB. It'll be about 4 inches wide all the way across the top. Should look real good. Nice and simple, yet noticeable.
Probably a silly question but is the vinyl going on the outside? And how does it hold up to the beating from the sun?
I think I'm just gonna do a strip of 5% across the top portion of the windshield.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 06:29 AM   #103
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmfb View Post
Probably a silly question but is the vinyl going on the outside? And how does it hold up to the beating from the sun?
I think I'm just gonna do a strip of 5% across the top portion of the windshield.
Yeah, it's external on the windshield. I believe he laid down some weather-resistant vinyl or something, but the vinyl sheeting used for outdoor purposes holds up real well. But like anything with exposure to the elements for several years, I'm sure it'll fade. However, I don't keep the car outside, so I think I'll get more longevity out of it than someone in SoCal. But if you're considering dark tint as opposed to vinyl, I believe they'll lay that on inside of the glass.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-13, 06:41 AM   #104
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, spent the last 3 days doing paint correction. I have to say all the hard work has paid off. I used a Porter Cable 7424XP DA and some supplies bought from AutoGeek and Adam's Polishes. Looking back on it, I wish I would have taken pictures at each stage and put together a tutorial, but it's a lot to do when you're by yourself. I can take some final product shots if people are interested. I can see my reflection from any angle, it's pretty cool; the surface is like glass!

I think I did pretty well for my first go-around. Basically, there were a lot of swirls and light scratches all over. There are still some fine ones left, but I'm content with where it's at for the time being. Not perfect, but a vast improvement. My process was two-bucket wash/rinse with an in-line water filter, thorough dry, clay bar, scratch/swirl remove and polish, paint seal, and I have yet to wax since the sealant needed time to cure. I know seal does the job of wax, but I'm going to add that extra bit of protection anyway. Modest layering can't hurt.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-13, 03:40 PM   #105
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

This is something I will do soon on my car. I took out all the swirls on the SHO's 18 year old paint last year and it made a huge difference. I have very minor swirling in the STi, so I haven't been too pressed to polish it out in the last couple years.

I'm curious to see how yours turned out in person.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-13, 05:03 PM   #106
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Yes I'd like to see what products you used. Have a show coming up in June and need to properly detail Lucillle so she is correctly representing the model year.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-12-13, 07:04 AM   #107
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
This is something I will do soon on my car. I took out all the swirls on the SHO's 18 year old paint last year and it made a huge difference. I have very minor swirling in the STi, so I haven't been too pressed to polish it out in the last couple years.

I'm curious to see how yours turned out in person.
I'm down for hanging out/showing the clean work whenever, just text/call when you have time. I'm curious on seeing/hearing yours for the first time and not on jack stands, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Yes I'd like to see what products you used. Have a show coming up in June and need to properly detail Lucillle so she is correctly representing the model year.
Well, I have a lot of stuff, so I'll post some pics and more info when I get home from work today.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-12-13, 09:59 AM   #108
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Thanks.......and I have a lot of stuff too........lol

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-13, 06:39 AM   #109
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Ok, so this is what I have, left to right:

Lake Country CCS pads of varying cut/softness
Migliore Wheel Seal
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and lubricant
Pinnacle Souveran liquid wax
Pinnacle Microfiber Rejuvenator
Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 paint sealant
Adam's 3 stage paint correction - Scratch Remover, Swirl & Haze, Fine Polish
Pinnacle pad conditioner and cleaner
Various high-quality MF towels and mitts

Porter Cable 7424XP

In-line water filter

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 05-17-13 at 06:45 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-13, 06:51 AM   #110
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Like I said before, there are still some deeper scratches that I'd really need to hit hard to remove, but for now I'm mostly satisfied with it. It's pretty good for an 8 year old car that I didn't own straight off the truck, because if I did, it would have a lot less miles and wear on the paint. Oh well...

On a side note, finally decided to order the JDM ion fogs. So they'll be here sometime in the next 2 weeks. Gonna be sweet...

Here are some post-correction pics:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement