GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 03-29-13, 01:07 PM   #91
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - sloooow progress **spring almost here!**

Wix is good. I just use Purolator PureONE as a good easy option.

On the oil cooler, use -10AN lines. A lot of kits come with -8 which, IMO, too small. The KillerB pickup and tray are very nice. I just installed both of those on Ross' car last week.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-13, 01:30 PM   #92
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - sloooow progress **spring almost here!**

I figure a ~$270 investment can help against any oil starvation problems. It's much better than buying a new block and internals!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-13, 08:37 AM   #93
Kevinmfb
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: OBP 09 WRX 5-Door
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kevinmfb is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't wait to get my car sorted out and can't wait to have some extra money to play around with parts.
I've been using Rotella T6 for the last couple years. Seems to be good stuff. Using the Subaru Blue filters. Gonna do some searching since I've not heard of the issues with them (had five of them sitting on a shelf too).
Come on spring!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-13, 09:05 AM   #94
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Yes, it's nice to have some cash to play around with for sure! On the subject of money, I have had some time to think about where to go next and have amassed a small pile of bits to put on the car, so I'm not sure if I want to start ordering parts now, or wait another month or two for some more sizable work paydays.

My "problem" is I have a tendency to want to order parts all in one go and get everything together to tackle the project rather than buy things in small groups and piecemeal everything together. My thought process is this, "Oh, gonna change the fluids in the car soon? Might as well do 'em all. Might as well get the oil done too. Oh, while I'm down there, might as well take off the pan and get the Killer B replacement parts," and so on and it just snowballs from there. Soon enough, I have a mountain of stuff to buy. I hate how my mind works sometimes. Can't just do one thing at a time.

I've seen promising results from T6, so I'm eager to move to it. I have no idea what oil is in my car now, so I will be sending off a sample to Blackstone to see the general health of it all.

As for the filters, here are some links:

Subaru blue (Fram) oil filters RECALLED 282,000 affected filters

so Tokyo Roki 09+ RX-8 oil filters fit?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-13, 12:43 PM   #95
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Depending how hard you track and how often, you may even move onto Motul 300V. I will be running this in the S2000. For a street car, I'm content with T6 in the STi.

I'm not sure I would bother with an oil report with the current oil. Without know what oil it is and the fact that you started up the car to idle over winter, it won't really tell you anything of significance. I would be more interested in the numbers after your second change of whatever oil it is you go with.

I also like to order a lot of parts at once and install in a batch. You should see the room in my basement full of S2000 parts. My STi parts are considerably smaller these days and have the car off the ground to finish up what I have right now.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-13, 09:38 PM   #96
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

I saw that you are looking to do a DW300 pump. I think I will be upgrading to a Walbro 400 this year, so my DW300 will be for sale. It has around 1k miles on it.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-13, 12:35 PM   #97
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Interesting, I might take you up on that.

Also, I remember seeing that you have a Prosport gauge. In light of all the negative things I've read about them, how do you feel about yours? It hasn't given you any problems and has been accurate, correct?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-13, 06:11 PM   #98
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

My ProSport gauges are Boost/Vac and Volts. They're accurate enough for my needs. I may change out the volt gauge for oil pressure, but otherwise they're fine. I set my boost watching the ECU and voltage will tell me if I have something extremely wrong. For the more important stuff, I have a PLX DM-100 OBD which I also have the WBO2 tied to it.

EDIT: I just placed my order for the Walbro 400. If you want the DW301, let me know.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 03-31-13 at 07:05 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-01-13, 06:32 AM   #99
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

That's good to hear. There are so many choices out there...I looked into those PLX gauges a month or so ago; they're real nice and the system seems pretty versatile. Decent prices too. I'm wavering back and forth on what brand to go with. I'll PM you about the fuel pump.

Decided that I'm going with the Blitz Nur Spec Touring catback. Should make for some great times. I really liked the Tanabe Medalion Touring, but I'm a little hesitant about the welds. For what it's worth though, I'm not sure exactly what those people were doing with theirs that caused the hanger welds to break like that. Undersized hangers? DD in bad weather conditions over time that caused rust? No idea, but the Blitz sure seems to be a solid product. I think I'll be ordering a lot of parts towards the end of April/early May.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-13, 08:23 PM   #100
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

AHHH, much better!

So, now that I got the car back, I'd really like to get out there and drive. Only, the past couple days we've had pretty shitty weather! D'oh! Well I can at least sit in the garage with a space heater and admire it! Haha!

So I've continued to bide my time by looking around at parts...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement