GD: Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build
Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build

Old 04-22-12, 04:27 PM   #31
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: '05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: JDM V8 seats
My Subaru Parts for sale

BootsJunkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My first engine build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Those Manley rods on that 2liter were 75 lbs ft or 90 depending upon bolt size. Check online for the rod manufacturer. I found specs there. Looking good, even though you had to spend money on bearings. Did you at least get a discount?

Nahh didn't get a discount since I work for a diff bearing manuf

I just emailed Carillo for the tq specs since I couldn't find my exact rod bolts listed in their application guide/tq specs list, but it looks like its gonna be either 35 or 40ft-lb.
75-90 is insaneeee!!

But @ the stock tq spec of 38, I switched the rods around on the crank so I got .002" on 3 rods, but I had to lower the tq to 34ft-lb on the last one to get .002", otherwise I was only getting .0015. So I'll wait to see what Carillo hasta say.

Than I moved onto the mains, with the old stock case bolts @ OEM tq specs. 3 diff attempts, switching bearings between #1 and 3 position, and 2 and 4. #5 is the trust bearing, so didn't touch that one. Shooting for .0015" here

First Attempt:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
.0015" .002" .003" .003" .0015"
So I swapped the entire 1st with 3rd, and the entire 2nd and 4th bearings.

Second Attempt:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
.00125 .0017 .0015 .0015 .00125

So then I only swapped HALF a bearing between 1 and 3, and got;
Third:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
.001 .0017 .0014 .0015 .001

What really got me was I never touched #5, and got .0005" variation.
Since looser is "safer", is my first attempt my best option??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-12, 04:38 PM   #32
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Carillo says for these rods/bolts; "Not to EXCEED 40ft-lb's"

I'm so sick of dealing with this stupid plastigauge, making sure the rod doesn't spin on the crank when I'm torque'ing/untorque'ing the bolts, etc...

And I keep getting .0015" for the last rod, all others are .002", so I torque'd all the bolts on the rods with the bearings in place, gonna bring them into work tomorrow and bore guage the ID of the bearings which will measure down to the .0001" Then simply subtract the journal OD, and hope for around .002"
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-25-12, 08:15 PM   #33
snowstorm
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: AW 2010 WRX STi SE
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

snowstorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you've got a good plan.
A handy dandy Excel spread sheet with targets & actuals helps a lot. It's easy to get lost in all the numbers sometimes.
Plastigage is an ok tool but if you've got the right instruments it's much better to do what you're doing.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-12, 10:09 AM   #34
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
Sounds like you've got a good plan.
A handy dandy Excel spread sheet with targets & actuals helps a lot. It's easy to get lost in all the numbers sometimes.
Plastigage is an ok tool but if you've got the right instruments it's much better to do what you're doing.

Yup I've been using an excel spreadsheet since day 1
Normally I'll take like 4 readings per measurement and average them and use that, except for the ID of rod bearings where you only take the smallest measurement, along the axis of the rod, and things like that.

Just bore gauged the rod bearings, they're all 2.0484 +- .0002", and the rod journals are all 2.0469, which is only .0015"
The BEST rod/journal combination is only .0018".

I'll re-mic the crank journals tonight, see if I get anything drastically different.
If not, I mighta hafta get the crank ground down, IF its possible to take .0005" off
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-12, 01:33 PM   #35
2.5i 17
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: Wife
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2.5i 17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsJunkie View Post
Yup I've been using an excel spreadsheet since day 1
Normally I'll take like 4 readings per measurement and average them and use that, except for the ID of rod bearings where you only take the smallest measurement, along the axis of the rod, and things like that.

Just bore gauged the rod bearings, they're all 2.0484 +- .0002", and the rod journals are all 2.0469, which is only .0015"
The BEST rod/journal combination is only .0018".

I'll re-mic the crank journals tonight, see if I get anything drastically different.
If not, I mighta hafta get the crank ground down, IF its possible to take .0005" off
Haven't checked in awhile, we have used a mix of Cosworth extra clearance (size 2) rod bearings as they seem to run a touch looser than ACL extra clearance when you have one that is just a little tight. Like you said you could get the crank ground. I was taught how to use a Mic and bore gauge though I don't know if that measures any different than plastigauge, though it looks like it does just a little by your numbers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-12, 09:50 AM   #36
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yea plastigauge isn't very accurate at all, screw that stuff.

I re-mic'd the rod journals last night, and just with a lil extra umph turnin the mic a c*nt-hair more on each journal, I got a coupla more tenths on each journal, averaging 2.0463, giving me clearances of .0019 .0019 .002 and .002

Onto the mains! Those are gonna be a bit harder since we (at work) don't have a bore guage long enough to get to the mains all the way on the inside of the block. Any ideas?
Otherwise plastigauge is my only option.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-12, 09:52 AM   #37
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

No motor progress recently.
Cars been down since saturday when I attempted to change 2 axle boots, but snapped a bolt holding the rear suspension together. Destroyed the lat link bushings so I'm just waiting for them and CV boot kits to come in to get her on the road again.

But I did install XM radio the other day, can't wait to finally start listening to something other than my iPod. I've never had regular radio reception since day 1, dunno why
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-12, 05:20 AM   #38
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

By now the engine I finished should have over 300 miles on it. Finished it and test drove, I actually like that little 2.1l stroker motor. Hope to see it again once over 1K miles and if the owner ever rebuilds his kitty to pay a tuner (was cheaping me out near the end). Oil was clean after first 50 miles (gonna send a sample to Blackstone for grins).

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-12-12, 09:17 AM   #39
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I took my car to the track for the first time last night (stock motor, not this built motor), and I'm pretty damn disappointed. I'm basically Stage 2.5, and wasn't using Launch Control or FFS, launching at 5500 with zero wheel spin.
I got 22 runs in (yea, that was awesome ) with only a best of 13.741 @ 101, and only a best 60' of 1.90.
Maybe I can launch higher to get a lil bit of wheel spin and hopefully get a better 60' of 1.75 ish??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-12-12, 04:09 PM   #40
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I know I've really been dragging ass on this build, sry guys

I borrowed a T bore gauge from work today thinking it was big enough to do the main bearing clearance, but it was too small for the mains so I re-did the rod bearings just to assure myself. Sure enough .0020 .0020 .0021 and .0020, perfect
Will borrow the next size T bore gauge tmw

Until then, onto pics for you guys
(I was also practicing my photography as well )

Lil bit of remaining plastigauge.

Sooooon enough, you guys will be together, (hopefully) forever!

All branddd newwww

Crossss hatchhhh

Rod bolt

Last edited by BootsJunkie; 04-25-17 at 06:17 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement