GD: Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build
Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build

Old 04-12-12, 04:01 PM   #21
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: '05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: JDM V8 seats
My Subaru Parts for sale

BootsJunkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My first engine build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5i 17 View Post
Did Rallispec perform a align hone on your block with your ARP main studs?

Either way, I would use your ARP studs, they pull differently than the stockers (we received different readings than stockers at stock torque, I think my buddy said that was due to the ARP lube). We did not end up using stock torque, read below.

(I wrote this in Smitty's journal too as he is using ARP main studs as well for his build )Are you using stock torque specs or ARP specs. I can't quite remember the torque of the stock bolts as the final sequence is a angle turn sequence (quite a bit lower thougher).
When we did final assembly on my 08 last summer, ARP had 70 ft. lbs on the sheet and we knew this was going to be over kill without an align hone on my block. We actually went with 58 ft lbs. at the time and picked bearing halves to get the results we wanted. The new ARP main studs instructions are rated at 60 ft lbs.

Nope they didn't align hone, they measured the journals and didn't deem it necessary.

The reason I asked about stock vs ARP studs was cuz I only have the old stockers layin around, as well as the old bearings. So I've just been practicing plastigaging with the old stuff.
I haven't ordered the bearings or ARP's yet cuz I'm tryna order parts in the correct order that I'll be needing to use/install them (like WTF am I gonna do with an oil/water pump, head studs/gaskets right now??)
So the next things will be bearings, ARP mains (maybe head's too, if I get a good deal), and gasket kit since I need those 3 o-rings between the block halves for assembly.

The stock specs for the main studs are CRAZY low, or at least I thought so; 14.8ft-lb + 90* turn. Are they not stretch bolts??
So you did like 3 equal steps for the ARP's? 20-40-60?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-12, 05:05 PM   #22
2.5i 17
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Fav Mod: Wife
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2.5i 17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsJunkie View Post
Nope they didn't align hone, they measured the journals and didn't deem it necessary.

The reason I asked about stock vs ARP studs was cuz I only have the old stockers layin around, as well as the old bearings. So I've just been practicing plastigaging with the old stuff.
I haven't ordered the bearings or ARP's yet cuz I'm tryna order parts in the correct order that I'll be needing to use/install them (like WTF am I gonna do with an oil/water pump, head studs/gaskets right now??)
So the next things will be bearings, ARP mains (maybe head's too, if I get a good deal), and gasket kit since I need those 3 o-rings between the block halves for assembly.

The stock specs for the main studs are CRAZY low, or at least I thought so; 14.8ft-lb + 90* turn. Are they not stretch bolts??
So you did like 3 equal steps for the ARP's? 20-40-60?
Ok, gotcha, just asking since we torqued the ARP down to full spec and we could not get get nice numbers on the mains. Yes we did 3 equal steps on the ARP's.

The stocker mains are stretch bolts, we have re-used them many times with no problems. I think money is better spent on the head bolts and re-use the stockers for the mains. Use whatever your more comfortable using, I just wanted to try the ARP mains for my personal build.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-12, 05:09 PM   #23
2.5i 17

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
With ARP studs do you use stock torque sequence at those settings to check clearance?
Yes, exactly, three equal steps to final torque value which ended up at 58 ft. lbs, then we checked clearance.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-12, 09:06 AM   #24
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ahh true I never thought about stock main bolts bein sufficient enough.
What case bolts do you have?

But now that I think about it... it's not like there's a crazy amount of pressure (if any. only from blow-by) in the crankcase between the block halves that the main bolts need to contain. Not like headstuds that are preventing 20psi x2 of the head lifting off the block.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-12, 03:55 AM   #25
2.5i 17

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Ahh true I never thought about stock main bolts bein sufficient enough.
What case bolts do you have?

But now that I think about it... it's not like there's a crazy amount of pressure (if any. only from blow-by) in the crankcase between the block halves that the main bolts need to contain. Not like headstuds that are preventing 20psi x2 of the head lifting off the block.
Yeah exactly, the headstuds are taking a lot more abuse and you said it... x2 on these motors. The problem always seems to be with rod bearings on these motors not main bearings anway.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-16-12, 08:09 AM   #26
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So a bit looser rod bearing clearances "should" help prevent spinning a rod bearing?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-12, 06:23 AM   #27
2.5i 17

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
So a bit looser rod bearing clearances "should" help prevent spinning a rod bearing?
Yeah, and good oil pressure when your foot is in it. Were running .002 on the mains and
.002-.0022 on the rods on my 08 using a stock 08 oil pump with one shim (this is running dual avcs). 20w50 oil.

On single AVCS setups were using .0015 on the mains and .002 on the rods with a stock 08 oil pump no shim and if they are pure race we are also using .002 on the mains. Then either 10w40 for .0015 mains or 20w50 for .002 mains.

I'm guessing these numbers work as one of Bretts builds now has over 50,000 miles, however its a 35r elementuing rotated kit that sees 25 psi every day and over 30 psi on C16 at the track. This is one is on .0015 mains and .002 rods.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-12, 04:42 PM   #28
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

This sucks, I work for a bearing manufacturer, but I still gotta buy bearings. WTF!??!

Innnteresttingggg. These are ACL HX's, extra oil clearance. Brand new crank.
.0015 on the rods. A bit tighter than I'd like. What to dooo, what to doooooo

Also, what are the torque specs for aftermarket rod bolts? Factory 38.4ft-lb??

Last edited by BootsJunkie; 04-25-17 at 05:18 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-12, 07:07 AM   #29
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Drilled/taped my header for my EGT sensor yesterday, so I finally have all my Defi's working

Gonna go check the other 2 rod and all the main clearances today, hopefully the mains will be in spec
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-12, 09:41 AM   #30
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Those Manley rods on that 2liter were 75 lbs ft or 90 depending upon bolt size. Check online for the rod manufacturer. I found specs there. Looking good, even though you had to spend money on bearings. Did you at least get a discount?

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement