IW STi Forum banner

Nick's 05 WRB STi - ETS/GTX/EFI/Flare build

GD: 
149K views 579 replies 49 participants last post by  got2boostit2 
#1 · (Edited)
5/5/17 edit
I figured this has progressed more into an entire car build/journal, than just an engine build, so I'll be editing it accordingly to reflect more like a journal.

Here's a brief break-down of this thread;
Page 1-Page 12 = My first engine/short-block build :)
Page 13 = OEM long-block engine pull #1
Page 14 - Page 19 = Send out/receive OEM heads for refurb'd, start final long-block assembly
Page 20 = Drop in long-block, DIY TGV delete's, attempt #1 at first engine start-up
Post #218= First start-up :D:D
Page 23 - Page 29 = Finding/fixing oil seal leaks and crank sensor code (cliff-notes; a tooth broke off the crank gear)
Page 33 = Hit 1,000miles on motor break-in, crank seal still leaking
Page 36 - Page 37 = Faulty ACT TOB, engine pull #2
Page 38 = ETS GTX3076R V-Band kit arrived, begin mock-up/install :D:D
Page 41 = Engine pull #3, pretty sure I can chalk this one up to install error on the clutch fork and TOB
Page 44 = Engine install #3 & Tomei Expreme TI with a sound clip :eek::tup:
Page 45 = EFI/Mike Botti tuned, 343tq 352hp @ 24psi. And slid RR into curb
Page 46 - Page 52 = Replace bent trailing arm, hub, rear bearings, rebuilt the rear differential, ARP extended studs, extracting snapped Brembo bolts and bleeders, broke ABS tone ring
Page 53 = SubyFlares have arrivedd :D:D:tup:

9/18/2010 - The day I bought her, with only 35K miles on her, for a steal of a price.

Bought with the following mods;
-TurboXS FMIC kit with BOV and SRI
-TurboXS RFL TBE
-TurboXS Top Feed conversion rails, and
-TurboXS UTec with adjustable MAP selector
and I also found evidence of a Harness bar/half cage, and maybe a double fuel pump? Because the fuel temperature sensor wires were cut when I installed the Walbro.

-Back to the engine build-
So I don't see why I can't go for 400awhp :)

This is my first time building an engine, so I might have a couple questions. Right now my goal is a 400awhp DD, haven't decided on turbo size yet, but prolly something along the lines of a GTX3076R.
Once I break this motor in with the stock turbo, I'll upgrade the turbo/header after like 2-3K miles.
My current supporting mods are;
-TXS intake
-TXS FMIC and BOV
-TXS RFL Ti TBE
-TXS top-feed conversion
-(DW 850's waiting to be installed)
-Walbro 255
-Cobb AP
-Defi boost, oil temp, EGT gauges, Innovate WB02, Autometer oil press.
and some other things

Onto the pics. The shortblock that I picked up..

Bore gauging the cylinders

Phew, stock bore 99.5mm. Cylinder #4 was scratched and needed to be bored/honed

Got the machine work done by Rallispec, awesome, awesome guys and company!!! :tup:
Got it bored to 99.75mm, honed, decked, and cleaned, and they got me a brand new 08+ nitrided crank!

Mic'ing the brand new 99.75 CP's

Bore gauging the rod big ends

Is this how the pistons go!?!?

Rings gapped to .025" top, .030" bottom. A bit on the bigger side... think it'll be alright?

Mmmmmm brandd newww

Thought this was funny; a Subaru vs Honda crank :lol:

Attachments

See less See more
#83 ·
Re: My first engine build.

I gotta torque plate coming in next week, thanks to Team Scream! :cool::tup:

Sooo.... does anyone have a used head gasket I could use under the plate?
I don't wanna use my brand new HG's.

#84 ·

Can you pm me pricing and contact info, if you don't mind?

#85 ·
#88 ·
#89 · (Edited)

Just hit this today :p

In celebration of this milestone, on the way are; Koyo radiator, Samco rad hoses, Gates timing belt kit w/ water pump, 2qts Motul 90A, and 5qts of 75w90 Extra-S :tup:

#90 ·

I'm gonna tell a story, in pictures.

In honor of 100K miles, I got toyyssssss!!! :D

Playing around with my block and torque plate (teaser alert :cool:), I realized;
1) I need nuts/washers for my head studs. I'm "thinking" of just Home Depot nuts just for checking bore/OOR/taper (obviously not gonna run these :lol:), unless someone advises otherwise. Or else I'll bite the bullet and finally buy the ARP studs.
2) I need to clean the internal threads of the block for the head studs. So I went to Home Depot to try to find small round wire brushes that fit in there to clean them, but nothing :p

It was the lastttt bolt that is always the problem one! Luckily its not the big case bolt, just the smaller 12mm bolt, pulled the threads out :mad::mad::(

I only have about 1.5hrs of daylight to work on her after work for the t-belt job. 3hrs down so far, have the rad/fans out, crank pulley, covers, t-belt, bearings, tensioner, and water pump out.

Gonna get 2 more cans of Brakleen today to clean behind the timing covers after this fiasco like a year ago
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...sory-pulley-rubbing-against-timing-cover.html

#92 ·

Haha but no really, my jetski blew up AGAIN and I been diagnosing that cuz I wanna go ridddinggg in this 110 degree heat.

But now that I'm seeing how much oil my stock block is burning @ 104K miles, I really need to hurry this build up.

Just bought some ARP head studs since they were holding me up from checking P2W w/ the torque plate, than final assembly.

Reactions: drop0ut
#93 · (Edited)

Of course as soon as I put money into the engine build, something else breaks on the car.

Cobb 24mm FSB >> stock endlinks :lol:
Time to look for some Kartboys :tup:

#94 ·

Easy fix and you already know where to go. But hear you on unexpected issues.

#95 · (Edited)

Apparently I hate money :lol::lol:

Just picked this up this past weekend- SC'd, 215hp, yea buddy! :tup:

#97 · (Edited)

Those 98's are so cool looking the way the rear seat just hangs off :tup:

I got it 100% completely stock. I've already upgraded the ceramic supercharger washers which are known for destroying the entire motor with SS washers, and I have an HKS SSQV just laying around which I might as well use, I just need an adaptor tube/flange. Also have a boost gauge laying around too. Looking at 4" intakes, thru hull exhausts, ughhh :lol:

My SC on top of my turbo :D

#100 ·
#102 ·

So I went back to work on monday part-time, and just gave my two-weeks notice today, because I got the job offer for the place in my town on wed - awesome :tup:

Instead of buying stuff for the motor build, for my new ski I've bought/built; DIY 3" intake, DIY exhaust resonator delete, DIY oil catch can, and a 500gph bilge pump :cool:
And yes, my ski's are covered under a foot of snow currently :lol:

#103 · (Edited)

I guess I'll finally update this now that the build is getting expedited.

Back injury; I still have pain daily, and from everything I hear from everyone with similar injuries, I'm gonna hafta learn to live with that :mad:

New job (the one I mentioned) is going awesome. Doing things from designing new welding fixtures and machinery, to a new manufacturing facility. We make this stuff;

2 months after starting the new job, I bought my first house, by myself. Not easy, nor cheap, in NJ :lol:

The day I closed on it;

Almost exactly 1year later, I'm ridiculously excited as to how well I've resuscitated the front lawn.

And about 1month ago I got my first dog, a corgi/shephard mix, named him "Sprocket".

Now onto the motor build; for the keen-eyed viewers of the last pic it's not hard to tell of the partially-disassembled motor. I needed to take my current Perrin crank pulley off to send it off with the rest of the rotating assembly to get balanced. Major props to Billy @ 987 Motorsports in P-burg for this, he's a super awesome guy!

Back from getting balanced, and the new ACT clutch

Shortblock assembled and painted.

That's pretty much completely up to date, only things left to buy are oil pump (still undecided), water pump/timing belt kit, and misc parts from Subaru (e.g. head gaskets, timing covers that got torn up, fender liners, etc.)

Things left to do, in order, before I can start pulling the old motor to start swapping parts over;
-winterize the jetski so I can move/keep it outside @ my parents house, giving me another ~10ft in the garage for engine pulls/installs
-source engine hoist/stands

And the whole reason WHY the build is getting expedited;
-Not detonation (OTS Stage2 for about.... 65K)
-Not cracked lands (I do go thru about 2qts of Mobile1 5W30 in 3K miles, but that's about it)
-Not cracked pickup tube (still stock @ 112K miles)
-Not spun bearings

but simply due to, I'm almost positive, stretching head studs pushing coolant out the overflow under high boost. I swear this motor just will not die :lol::tup:

#104 ·

Lawn and clutch pictures will not display.

Congratulations on the house and dog and job. Sorry to hear about the back issues - hope you find a solution soon. Motor looks good.

Undecided on oil pump - talk to KillerB I like some of the recommendations he has made on the subject. Undecided on timing belt kit? What is the issue there?

Lastly, I thought about you last week. What did you end up doing with the torque plate (we has discussed months ago that you might sell when finished I think was the conversation.

Oh one more thing. "Rhonda" the short block I had machined and assembled for a local friend turned some good numbers both on the dyno and at the drag strip tuned on E85. The Oo sold the car and the new guy is using Corbin to tune it. Giving me great encouragement to tackle one of my own finally. We will see.

#107 ·

Lawn and clutch pictures will not display.

I'm dumb. Those 2 pics are simply "backed-up" to my google drive which I assumed was "hosting" them, hence why they're not showing. :p
Lawn; just imagine straight dirt as a starting point, to a beautifully lush, perfectly green lawn :cool:
Clutch; just all the internals, clutch, and torque plate laid out on the table w/ the block.

Congratulations on the house and dog and job. Sorry to hear about the back issues - hope you find a solution soon. Motor looks good.

Undecided on oil pump - talk to KillerB I like some of the recommendations he has made on the subject. Undecided on timing belt kit? What is the issue there?

Yup gonna PM KB soon about what pump to run (10mm vs 11mm). Can't wait to install their pickup and windage tray.
No issue w/ the water pump, gonna go with the Gates Blue + water pump kit from RSD. I'm running that one currently w/ no problems :tup:

Lastly, I thought about you last week. What did you end up doing with the torque plate (we has discussed months ago that you might sell when finished I think was the conversation.

YGPM ;)

Oh one more thing. "Rhonda" the short block I had machined and assembled for a local friend turned some good numbers both on the dyno and at the drag strip tuned on E85. The Oo sold the car and the new guy is using Corbin to tune it. Giving me great encouragement to tackle one of my own finally. We will see.

If you've already done it, why do you need more encouragement to do your own? If anything, I would be more paranoid/OCD about being a perfectionist doing a friends engine than my own. Not only not to waste my friends' $$, but also cuz your name/reputation is on the line.
What kinda machining did you do? CNC mill the decks and hone/bore?

aww yiss

#108 ·

Billy is awesome :)

I'm happy I decided to randomly pop back in here. Great updates! :D

Absolutely awesome guy, I'm just pissed he didn't offer to take me a spin in his since he put it up for sale a week after I saw him :lol:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have more badass updates, more often! :tup:

#110 · (Edited)

Basic specs on Rhonda
CP 100 mm Pistons, coated skirts and domes
Cylinders honed with torque plates
ACL bearings
Eagle ESP rods
3 angle valve job
Ports casting ridges smoothed
Balanced (pulley, crank, rods, pistons, clutch)
I assembled to heads less cam, owner completed from there.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/4171629-post930.html

Went 11.70 at 117mph

#111 ·

I believe KillerB basically recommends the oil pump associated with the MY of the car. If it's a GD, it's got the 10mm....the 08+ with dual AVCS obviously got a higher flowing pump. And they have recommended the single AVCS cars did not need the 11mm. I have stuck with the same concept for any builds I do (besides my own, I threw in an 11mm pump).

The Gates timing belt kits are usually the go to kits. There are others, but Gates is usually available from all the vendors on here (RSD).

Thanks for the kind words!

#113 ·

Some hybrid turbo ~3076, I'll have to look it up. He also has Kelford cams in that engine.

#114 ·

you are gonna want to have your heads checked and decked. pressure tested etc. the valves should be fine, seals can go though. i would just let a machine shop that knows suby heads take care of it (if need be, i can have it done for you). a refresh is a good idea. i would throw some cams in too for your build.

#118 ·

you are gonna want to have your heads checked and decked. pressure tested etc. the valves should be fine, seals can go though. i would just let a machine shop that knows suby heads take care of it (if need be, i can have it done for you). a refresh is a good idea. i would throw some cams in too for your build.

YGPM Billy ;)

Over the weekend I had a buddy, whom is a very interested customer of my existing block to swap into his gf's leggy, help me out with a compression test.
I'm honestly still astounded at the results, considering all the puff's of blue smoke, and going thru about 2qt's in 3K miles.
150psi across the board on a nice warm motor :tup::tup:

Considering I don't need the car anymore to take home xmas trees/extension ladders, I think I can start disassembling the engine bay this weekend

#116 · (Edited)

Wanted to share this epic pic taken at our latest local subbie meet :tup:

The ski has been winterized and moved the parents house, and my Black Friday weekend pickups include the following;

Xmas tree;

......a 1ton folding shop crane, and BRAND new AST TiC SST coilovers thanks to wdb!!:cool::tup:

Reactions: STi Addict