IW STi Forum banner

VanishingPoints 07 WRX STI, Trackday weekend

GD: 
15K views 64 replies 5 participants last post by  VanishingPoint 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my second STI.

My first STI was an Aspen White 05 it had the short throw shifter and a boost gauge, but didnt come with floor matts.

I daily drove the 05 and did a couple of auto crosses. The only modifications I did was aftermarket floor matts, teflon coated rims (wish I had them back), and an OEM arm rest extension.

In 06 I traded her off for a 06 Chevy Malibu. My youngest was taking drivers ED and I/he needed something he could learn how to drive with.

After junior got his licence we looked for a cheap small car for him. Timing was bad as there was no small cheap cars to be had as gas had jumped to $4.00 a gallon. My wife and I decided to give the Malibu to the boy and she found a STI at the dealer we could go look at.

The day I brought her home. Options were fog lights and Home Link Mirror

That first year I bought another set of rims and a set of Dunlop snow tires. It is amazing how well an STI handles snow with a set of snow tires. The 05 had all seasons and they just do not compare. It didnt see much snow as I had a pickup to drive and I hated to see salt on it.

The expressway by us was some how perfectly designed for the STI bobble head. I would be bouncing down the road and look over to other cars next to me and they were not bouncing at all. I decided to try a set of springs, and went with RCE Blacks. In all honesty I dont think they did a thing, at least for bobble head, but they did shine on the track later.

I bought an Acess Port and flashed stage 1. And then shortly stage 2. I went with the Maddad catted down pipe and intermediate pipe that tapers to 2.5 " and used the stock axle back.

My goal has always been to modify the car reliably, and unnoticeably. Track worthy and quick, but something you could stand to drive to another state.

Started tracking the car a little and it did fairly well. But of course it needed more........Power.

Drove to Detroit and got a protune from Speed Industry. Mustang Dyno : 271WHP 290 FT. LBS torque. Dunlop Z1 Star Specs replaced the Stock RE70 Bridgestones.

White line Comp C front strut mounts, upgraded XP-10 Carbotech brake pads, and nitto 01 tires were added the next year. I tried these out at Mid Ohio and they worked well, but the car understeered bad, so I bought a Cusco 22mm rear swaybar. That did the trick. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-susp...388-front-tire-wear-add-larger-rear-sway.html

Not long after going stage 2 My son who had an 07 STI and I went to the drag strip for fun. Both of us noticed that after a pass, and we shut them down, when we started the cars they would spew white smoke bad for a few seconds. This would happen after a track session also. I finally did a compression check and #2-#4 were down 7PSI from #1-#3. The only other issue I was having was during a track day I would go through 2 quarts of oil. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/208699-07-sti-2-4-ringlands-broke.html

This last winter I decided I wanted more power as I was lossing cars on the straights at the track, but would catch them in the corners. This was mostly a problem with Mustangs, and would keep them from pointing me by until I rode up ther butts through the corners.

The last time the car was on the dyno the tuner had turned up the boost, but gained no hp and 5 ftlbs of torque. This told me that the exhaust was holding things up.

To keep with my goals (reliable, unnoticeable,fast,and drivable) I decided to keep the top mounted intercooler, intake, and headers, but change the turbo. After much debate and research I went with the Blouch 20G-XT. To keep it reliable I knew I had to change the pistons and Clutch.

I rebuilt the engine with forged 4032 Mahle pistons installed DW850cc Injectors, an ACT clutch, an oil pick-up, and had it tuned with an e-tune from IA performance. All was going as planned until..... http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-m...ring-something-important-you-should-know.html I also decided to step up to Carbotech XP-12 brake pads and Centric premium rotors

In the panick to get her up and running for a trip to NY and a track day at Watkins Glen I bought a shortblock from Vigilant Motorsports. Tore it down replaced the short block and started the break in.

She ran great at Watkins Glen. The XP-12 did a great job, but wore very quickly, and the rotors didnt look real good either. This last trackday at Grattan the car understeered real bad and tore the Nitto 01s to shreds.

I have decided that I have gone to far over the line towards a track car and went a little stray of my goals. So after this last trackday of the year (Gingerman) I will be going back to Carbotech XP-10s, DBA rotors, and real street rubber.

Here are few track Videos. A small group of us have been trying to hit a big track by us at least once a year. VanishingPoint on Vimeo

Modifications/Parts

Turbo: Blouch 20GXT 8cm Coated Turbine
Cobb bypass Valve
Injectors: Deatch Werks 850cc Top Feed.
Clutch: ACTSB4-HDSS
Timing belt: Gates Racing
Vigilant Motorsports Shortblock
AEM CAI
Omni 3 Bar MAP sensor
STI group N Engine and Trans Mounts
Oil pickup: Covert
Whiteline Comp C Strut Mounts
Cusco 22 mm Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Endlinks
Invidia Turbo back exhaust
RCE Blacks (springs)
TiC Subaru Rear Diff Mount Bushings - Comfort
AEM Water Injection System (water only)
Tuned by Stephen Clark at IA Performance
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/review-sti-tuners/217132-ia-performance-100-e-tune.html
Access Port/Tuner Race
KNS/DBA Rotors
Carbotech XP-10 Pads
245-40-17 Dunlop Z1 Star Specs
TIC Holy Shift Kit

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRB STI, Back from Gingerman Raceway

In the garages at Road America

Gaurd Dog

Mine and my sons 07 STIs

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRB STI, Finally

Great journal start, and about time!

Thanks, the guilt trip worked.

There was alot of ground to cover and I had to rush it alittle, but I should be able to take my time with it from here on out.

I took some pictures of some worked over Nittos I need to get them downloaded and posted. I will be finishing them off along with the XP-12s at Gingerman Sept. 3rd. Weather permitting.

#5 ·

Good luck at Gingerman. I'll check out trackpedia and see what its like. Grattan seemed to favor the go-cart like car. Unfortunately, the STI is not like that. I sympathize with your predicament on your future plans. It is never easy to choose, and harder to hold to a line. I caved and sacrificed daily driver manners to get a "no compromise" ride at the track. I am enjoying every minute at the track, but I do some suffering most every day for it.

#7 ·

Good luck at Gingerman. I'll check out trackpedia and see what its like. Grattan seemed to favor the go-cart like car. Unfortunately, the STI is not like that. I sympathize with your predicament on your future plans. It is never easy to choose, and harder to hold to a line. I caved and sacrificed daily driver manners to get a "no compromise" ride at the track. I am enjoying every minute at the track, but I do some suffering most every day for it.
I have never been to Gingerman, but it looks like a short tight track. They expanded it last year, so that should help. My wife and I are going solo for this one, and have decided to set up a tent. Its been a long time since we stayed in a tent. She bought a really nice air mattress, hope we stay dry.

My new STI funds may get soaked up in my wifes future 370Z, so I may end up hanging onto this car for longer then planned. It may end up as a track only car some day.

Wow a journal! Looks good, keep the updates and images flowing. I also am working on a solution. When I look at the old set of Nitto's that last saw Grattan, I don't see the same wear pattern. Granted they were well used and smaller, but I'm interested in determining what changed?
I havent downloaded the Nitto pictures yet, but they looked just like yours. Granted I was pushing it alittle, but I havent had this problem since Mid Ohio last year.

I did hear somewhere that in formula one the tire rubber is changed for differant track surfaces. My theory is the new surface has something to do with it.

#6 ·

Wow a journal! Looks good, keep the updates and images flowing. I also am working on a solution. When I look at the old set of Nitto's that last saw Grattan, I don't see the same wear pattern. Granted they were well used and smaller, but I'm interested in determining what changed?

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)

Darn attachments seem to disapear.

My sons new ride

1989 Conquest. My first fun car. Dumped way to much money in her.
Fun to drive if and when it runs. :)

Attachments

#10 ·

That rainbow at the very beginning had me concerned - thought it was going to turn into a little Nyan Cat action.

Actually it is quite interesting to listen to Nyan in one browser and watch the Porsche at Gingerman in antoher.....
1989 Conquest. My first fun car. Dumped way to much money in her.
Fun to drive if and when it runs.
Nice car. Your son's new car is also very nice. Good choice.

#11 · (Edited)
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRB STI, Back from Gingerman

That rainbow at the very beginning had me concerned - thought it was going to turn into a little Nyan Cat action.

Actually it is quite interesting to listen to Nyan in one browser and watch the Porsche at Gingerman in antoher.....
Nice car. Your son's new car is also very nice. Good choice.
What the heck was that (Nyan the Cat). What did I miss?

I dumped $12,000 in the Conquest and couldnt find anyone that would even give me $2500 for it. I listed it for $6k on ebay, but would have taken $4500. No bids. Took it to the drag strip and the solenoid that turns on the gasoline on the nitrous system didnt work. The nitrous caused preignition which burned up the spark plugs and #3 exhaust valve.

I plan to part her out this winter. At least I may get back a little money out of her.

#12 ·

You still have the Conquest? I do like the Conquest.

#13 ·

You still have the Conquest? I do like the Conquest.
Yep still got it. Thought about dropping a V-8 into it and drag racing it. They are pretty lite cars. But its that time money, and energy thing. To much grass to mow if you know what I mean.

Attachments

#14 ·

When I get the pix uploaded to Flickr, I will send you the link to images of the LS1 Conquest that was at the GM Tech Ctr car show last month. Not as clean as your car, but nice.

#16 ·

Where can I get one of these for my house? Haha. :naughty:
His house.... (just to subscribe so don't gig me):eek2:

#18 ·

They have those scissor lifts that would work perfect(about 6" rise on floor with not in use). I also had a friend link me to a side stow away hoist that lifts the car up to 48", but lost the link & cannot remember the brand.

#19 ·
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRB STI, Back from Gingerman

Gingerman 2011 on Vimeo

Back from Gingerman.

For a smaller track it was very challenging and alot of fun. I ran my street tires and that took a little getting used to. They wore real even front to back and left to right.

Real small turn out, which left alot of open track. A couple of Mustang Boss 302s LSs were there and were alot of fun to run with. An older couple (late 50s-60s) were there with a Cadillac CTS-V. It was good to see that a 20G STI could run with both. Most of the middle of the video is me running alone as there was so few out there. I slowed down and let a car pass so that we could run a little.

The STI generated a lot of interest. I dont think most of the people there had much exposure to them. They were new to the track, but knew about the car. Lots of questions and I noticed a few folks timing my laps. :)

The track was extended a year ago and you can really tell the difference between old and new. The car gripped and handled much better on the older ruffer pavement compared to the new. On the newer stuff the car didnt want to brake as well and wanted to understeer.

I will definitely go back again next year.

#20 ·

Nice, one day I'll give in and go to Gingerman. Still doesn't interest me versus some of the other tracks.

#21 ·

Nice, one day I'll give in and go to Gingerman. Still doesn't interest me versus some of the other tracks.
Its alot more fun then it looks on the videos.
I was pretty suprised.

Seems like I was shifting for every staight and corner, and could grab 5th down the long staight, though not for long. Top speed on the staight was 120MPH.

#23 ·

The new year upgrade is installed. Its a lithium Iron battery. LiFePO4 Battery | 36ah 12v Lithium Motorcycle / ATV Batteries LFX36L3-BS12

It will save me close to 30lbs. and almost has the same capacity as stock (48Ah). I got the idea from this thread.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...sted-light-weight-braille-deka-battery-5.html

This image is how it came out of the box. Included is alot of foam to help mount the battery and terminal attachment hardware.

The old school stock lead acid, and the new lithium iron

Mounted in the stock location. I used the Odyssey battery OEM adaptor kit, so that I could use the stock battery connections. This way if I decide to go back to the stock battery it will be easy to convert back.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRB STI, This Years Upgrade

Five pound battery. Go head big money. Lithium Iron as well, will be interested to see your results with this battery.

"This battery weighs in at only 4.96 pounds and offers an incredible 540 C.C.A" :eek:

I've never found the spec for the stock battery, but 540 cold cranking amps is impressive and should make cold starting a breeze if this battery were used in the winter.

#25 ·

Yes it is pricey ($315), but it is the litest I could find with this high CCA and Ah capacity. There are some 2# lithiums, but talk about big money, they go for north of $1000.

A 16# battery just did not seem worth the trouble to me. It does save 15-20#, but with a pretty good hit to capacity.

There is a 27Ah Lithium Iron for $252 that would work. I am just a little nervous about down sizing the capacity too much.

Have not even started the car yet. Its not real nice here. Tomorrow is suppose to be nice I plan to try her out then.

#26 · (Edited)

LiFePO4 Battery | 27ah 12v Lithium Motorcycle / ATV Batteries LFX27L3-BS12

Here is the 27Ah battery.

The shipping from these guys was really fast. I recommend them. Never got an e-mail confirmation or tracking number from them. Sent them an e-mail asking about both and the package showed up the next day. Guess I dont care now.

#27 ·
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRX STI, Back from Mid Ohio

May 21st at Mid Ohio with 3 Balls Racing.

https://vimeo.com/42904298

https://vimeo.com/42938842

Car ran and handled great. I much preffer the Dunlop Star Specs to the Nitto 01s. It just seems like the soft rubber doesnt hold as well and can not take any abuse. I always seem to understeer with the Nittos, but the car is pretty neutral with the Star Specs.

Next trackday is Road America in July. I have a set of Hankooks RS-3s to try out.

#28 ·

Nice, looked like fun.

#29 ·

Nice, looked like fun.
Just did not seem like a 3 Balls Racing event.......

No rain :)

I found I like 20 minute sessions the most. Ken extended them to 25 Minutes (3 groups instead of 4), and I think they ran a little long. I also ran 30 minutes at Watkins Glen and they seemed to last forever. I came in early a couple of times, but ran every session.

When do you get your feet wet this year? I would guess you have to be chomping at the bit.

#31 ·

37th Annual Mid West Invitational At Road America with the Northwoods Shelby Club.

The Shelby Club is a fantastic group to go to Road America with. Very well orginized, but not stiffling with rules. Northwoods Region Shelby Club » FAQs

Car ran good except for a hole that burned into the waste gate hose. This caused an overboost and check engine light. Had to drive around itthe last 3 sessions. Found the hose after the last session. Hose routed to close to the turbo.

Group 2 had some seriously fast cars, and it gets rough running with mostly track prepped cars with my street car, but it still alot of fun.

https://vimeo.com/46934893

#35 ·

37th Annual Mid West Invitational At Road America with the Northwoods Shelby Club.

The Shelby Club is a fantastic group to go to Road America with. Very well orginized, but not stiffling with rules. Northwoods Region Shelby Club » FAQshttps://vimeo.com/46934893
Nice journal! The star specs have been good for me at road america as well. http://mvptracktime.com/index.html is another responsible group to run with.

#32 ·
Re: VanishingPoints 07 WRX STI, Back from Road America

The Hankook RS-3s did a great job, and are showing real good tread wear.

IMO they are the same to slightly better as the StarSpecs on track, but fall short on the street.

The Hankooks are noisey and wandering on the street, compared to the the Dunlops. I had tire pull when mounted brand new.

If your car spents more time on the track then the street, I would go with the RS-3s.
If your car is your street car that you take to the track a couple times a year then I would recommend the Dunlops.

IMO :)

#33 ·

Blimp, Cobra and everything! Nice driving, looks like it was big fun except for the "issue".

#34 ·

Not sure why the Good Year Blimp was hanging around, but it was neat to see.

Probably covering the exciting Shelby event ;) .

Really had a great time. The weather was great, and everything came off without a hitch.

The "issue" did not crop up until the last 3 sessions on the last day. At first it was just at one corner. Then it turned into a corner and a straight, that turned into every straight a couple of corners. By this time I figured it was time to quit before I broke something and figure out what was causing the problem.

Some hack routed the waste gate hose to close to the turbo. Same hack fixed it, hope he did a better job this time.

#36 ·

Thanks TC I will save them in my favorites.

Time for you to get cracken updating your journal.

I have been trying to figure out what I want to do next. Car is pretty much done. I am waiting for RCE to finish developing struts for the GD, but thats about it.

Car is a very good compromise between a DD street car and a very capable track car. At this point one would really have to suffer to make the other one better. I would love to make a better track car and this is not my DD just a play car, so I could go this route. BUT the car only has 15000 miles on it. It still smells new when it sits in the sun. I cant bring myself to modify away fron stock any further.

I have been considering a C5 Corvette ZO6 as they have a lot more potential and can be had for a decent price. The only issue is no more AWD (rainy trackday fun) and the Corvette tax (pricey parts)
Brakes and tires are alot more then a Subies.

We will see. If I keep her I think a catless exhaust and 3 bar Map sensor will be next. Got to keep up with those new Mustangs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.