GD: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet

Old 08-08-11, 05:27 AM   #1
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road
Default Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet

Hi everyone ,

After saying hello in the newbie section i guess it is time to make a journal so here goes:

My name is Thierry , 30 years old and i live in belgium (small country in europe). I've been lurking arround on these forums for more than 2 years and have read tons of usefull stuff that has been posted here. These forums have helped me alot in the choice and installment of the mod's i've done so far so i think it's time to join in and discuss car stuff with you guys ^^

I'm also keen to share my experiences and pics about the mod's i've done so far and the mod's that will be done in the future. Reading reviews has helped me alot so i'd be glad if i could do the same and help people out or just providing information etc.

Purchase
:

The story about how i got the STi started with me being very interested in japanese performance cars years back. My first car was a newly bought 06' ford fiesta S and after 5 more years of saving hard i was able to buy myself the car i was dreaming about. I was absolutely crazy about the nissan skyline's (r33-r34 GT-R) and my mind was set on buying one. Unfortunatly that was just arround the time that the huge bank crisis and whatnot started and due to the sudden difference in rates caused by the financial crisis going on it turned out i needed at least 5000� more than before the crisis happened (5k down the rain just in crappy rates)

Bummed out and 1000� less on the bankaccount ( already paid this in advance to start the whole import thing ) i forgot about buying a skyline and started looking for a hastle free car here in belgium. After nearly buying an RX-8 i came across the STi and i was immediatly sold ... i went to the dealership to go have a look and after being in the car and looking at it ( 20k km on it ) i knew i had to have it. So i bought the car and set the fiesta up for sale. Now 2 years and a few mod's later i'm still a very happy STi owner

The car itself:

It's a 2006 (first registred 03/2007) WRB STi with the usual optical bells and whistles. So it has xenon headlights, large STi spoiler , roof vane spoiler , side skirts , genuine V-limited front lip etc. It was left completely stock by the previous owner so that was also a big +.

As i bought the car i said to myself i wouldn't change anything on the car ... but sure enough browsing forums like this one soon turned that arround and i slowly started to modify stuff.

The previous owner had not been so gentle on the interior and it had a few marks/scratches on most of the panels and the paintwork had probably seen alot of carwash cleanings. So after running it through the winter i set up to handle the paintwork and detailed the entire car by hand. The interior faults was not something i could "buff out" so i ended up buying a total of 7 new panels, installed them and now the car looks spotless inside and out.

All the mod's except for the tune i have done myself because i simply enjoy to work on the car and installing new stuff. Modifying almost never goes the way you thought it would go and you often find yourself cursing at everything from underneath or in the car but in the end when the stuff is finally installed and you take it out for a spin it's just a great feeling knowing you did it yourself and that you improved the car and experience.

Maintenance work is now also done by myself due to not so good experiences at the dealership.

I guess that sums it all up ... hope it was an easy read and i hope you have a look at the pics and read on further down my journal thx

( Also excuse my english .. it may have some grammar/spelling issues since it's not my native language but i hope it is sufficient ^^ )
Attached Thumbnails
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-scooby201-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-dynosheet-jpeg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-dynosheet-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-g-force-27s-png   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-gforce1-jpg  

Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-scooby200-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-gforce2-jpg  

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 09-06-19 at 07:16 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-11, 05:28 AM   #2
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Guardian-X-'s hawk-eye STi

The mod list:

Performance mod's:

-Custom mapping with Ecutek Racerom done by racetech in conjunction with paul blamire from zenperformance UK ( best mod ever ... )
-Blitz NR Spec-S muffler (now changed to Prodrive backbox)
-Invidia V2 catless downpipe
-Kartboy Short shifter + rear shifter bushings
-Perrin shift linkage bushings
-Samco silicone airbox hose
-Samco I/C Hose kit
-NGK uprated one step colder sparkplugs
-Grimmspeed 3-2.5" DP to midpipe adapter ( exhaust leak fix )

Interior/exterior mod's:

-Impreza aluminum doorsills
-3x 6smd white led interior led's ( dome + map lights )
-Cigarette lighter green bulb swapped for red led
-Key ring light swapped for red led
-Rota 18"8.5J G-force wheels with ADVAN AD08 tires
-Defi triple gauge pod
-Defi advance oil temperature gauge,boost gauge and oil pressure gauge
-Defi advance control unit
-Pioneer AVH 3300BT head-unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-advans-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-blitznurspecs-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-defis-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-instaplijstvooraan-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-interieurpanelennew-png  

Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-invidia1-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-invidia4-jpg   Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet-samco2-jpg  

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 01-08-16 at 10:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-11, 05:28 AM   #3
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Reserved for pics and vid's.

Here's a small videoclip of the car at the dyno few weeks ago. ( 1080P available )

https://www.youtube.com/v/GaNMeVYJQ8w

A small clip of the opening and ending ceremony of the defi's

https://www.youtube.com/v/FnrWVlHFxzE

And a clip that i made soon after i installed the Nr spec ( my first mod on the car ^^ )

https://www.youtube.com/v/LbdsNM-ZqJY

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 08-08-11 at 05:45 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-11, 04:48 AM   #4
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

This weekend i installed a kartboy SS (managed to get hold of one through a friend of mine who had a holiday in the US so no extra taxes or shipping )

The install was pretty straightforwad since i had experience from installing the PERRIN SS adapter that i used for about a year. I took my time to clean the whole thing up nicely.

(btw it's crazy how you guys pull the stock one out and hammer te new one without removing the C-clips can't imagine how hard you would have to hit that thing to jump past the white holding ring.)

Picture of the whole set i bought. ( mind you i haven't installed the bushings yet because i'm still using the PERRIN front linkage bushing. )

Pic of the KB vs stock+perrin adapter.

And now a pic of something i was not expecting to see ( 1 year use of perrin SS adapter )

Before anyone freaks out : YES the whole thing was well lubricated (same amount of grease used as stock or maybe even more) the picture was taken after i cleaned the whole thing up. ANd yes the install was done correctly ( can't imagine how it would be possible to get the adapter too low anyway since it's held in place by that white ring )

I noticed that the sphere at the end of the KB SS is a tad smaller then the PERRIN one so i hope this one won't scrape.

As you can see still running the PERRIN front linkage bushings

About the kartboy SS so far:

In the beginning it was obvious that it needed a bit more effort to make the shifts because of the shorter shift rod this is something that takes some getting used to but the shifts are so much more positive now. It just "clicks" in to each gear and each time you shift you just know it's in gear 100% ...

NVH was not increased over the perrin SS but the perrin bushings did increase NVH over stock noticably but not too much.

The reverse lockout however is more difficult to shift up and down (lubricated aswell) because it scrapes along the shift rod. The stock one has these rubber inserts to prevent that as you can see in the pics. The shift boot became kind of saggy that's a small issue but i'm thinking about asking JPMcoachworks if they could post a boot a relatively cheap to europe and if they happen to have a stock one that they could modify into a shortened one for the KB SS.

Upsides:

-Very Short and positive shifts
-High Quality piece
-No increase in NVH (note that bushings have not been installed yet)

Downsides:

-Saggy shift boot
-Scrapy reverse lockout
-Bit more force needed to shift because of shortened shift rod

I really like the feel even though it requires a little more effort. We driving under WOT you get alot more positive shift feel than before. I'm expecting an STi 6MT duracon shift knob to come in any day now and i'm kinda hoping that it will be a bit taller then the stock knob in order to make the shifting a bit more easy. Even though i didn't get one for that purpose it still would be nice for it to be a bit taller ^^

About the perrin piece i ran for about 1 year.

The shifting was good but the piece itself is a different story. The screws are just too small to decently secure the adapter and you either have to nearly break the tiny key or the inside of the tiny screws inside when you want to adjust it without removing the whole shift rod. The way of securing the adapter is very flimsy in my humble opninion. I would say the adapter itself is a very nice piece but it turned out that it scraped to underside of the holding area ... (btw after 6 months i noticed the shifter was kind of loose so i checked up on it and turned out one of the screws had fallen out and made it's way into the tunnel ... lukely it got stuck in the corregated rubber piece that surrounds the tunnel so i managed to get it back. This was shortly after placing the front bushings wich increased vibration to the shift rod.)

Finally an overview pic of the KB SS installed and everythin back in place...

One question for the KB onwers: Would it still make any difference to use the kartboy rear shifter stay? I mean the shifting is so crisp that i can't image making it even better other than increasing NVH? I could replace the front bushings because these have a metal sleeve so you can't overtorque them wich the perrin one does not have but still i doubt it would make a difference ( decrease in shift rod vibration would be welcome ... increase not so much )

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 08-10-11 at 10:01 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-11, 12:44 AM   #5
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Guardian-X-'s hawk-eye STi ( kartboy SS installed +pics )

Yesterday i got my new toy in the mail ( well not that special but it's something )

STi 6MT Duracon shiftknob to accomodate my KB SS. The knob is slightly taller giving me a bit more leverage than my OEM knob so it makes shifting just a tiny bit easier (just what i was hoping for). Also it just feels alot better in my hand ^^

The thing even came with instuctions never thought i would see instructions for a shift knob

Installed

I also managed to pick up a set of 04-05 tails from the netherlands for 100. I thought it was alot of bang for the buck but it turned out it was missing the foam lining aswell as all the fittings and cable's

04-05's at the top and my current ones below.

Got quoted 75 by the dealership for new foam lining and cable tree's so i might just go for new instead of trying to find used parts.

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 08-26-11 at 04:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-11, 04:28 PM   #6
topend
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Car: 02 S2K
Fav Mod: EFI tuned
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

topend is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guardian-X-'s hawk-eye STi ( more new stuff arrived this week )

Very nice STI! Love the white wheels

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-11, 02:03 AM   #7
A-man
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

A-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice car and welcome to the forum.

If I lived in Belgium I'd spend all my free cash driving at Spa-Francorchamps
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-11, 06:25 AM   #8
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by topend View Post
Very nice STI! Love the white wheels
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man View Post
Nice car and welcome to the forum.

If I lived in Belgium I'd spend all my free cash driving at Spa-Francorchamps
Thx. The spa track is indeed quite something though i've never driven on it ( not on any track for that matter. Not really my cup of tea and also don't really have the funds to swap tires and brakes every month due to tracking ^^ )
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-21-11, 04:25 AM   #9
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Here's a few pics of the rota's when they just came in. These are Rota G-force 18*8.5 5*114.3 ET48

If anyone is interested in pics/info/thoughts from whatever mod in my list i'll try to help out

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 08-21-11 at 04:35 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-11, 01:00 PM   #10
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Guardian-X-'s hawk-eye STi (gradually adding pics)

Something you guys might like to see pictures of. My Defi advance BF setup with ATI pod.

These are obviously metric guages since i live in europe ( so pressure in Bar, and degrees C , )

The control unit is mounted inside of the console just below the head unit so everything is tucked away nicely (if anyone wants a pic of that i might be able to dig one up). I have yet to find/make a decent place for the remote because it sits loose in the coins box with like 50cm of cable left. I want to put it somewhere secure and easily operable but have yet to find a nice spot that does not require me to drill holes or put mountings in the dash etc.

So far i'm liking the gauges VERY much. So glad i cashed out for the defi's and not going for cheaper knock-off's ... these took a huge chunk out of my modifying budget but they are worth every penny. Extremely nice build quality and great set of features.

I know the D1Spec sandwich plate is kind of a cheap thing to accomodate the defi sensors but here in belgium it's very hard to get decent parts from well known company's so i opted for a cheaper but fast solution. I had the defi's flown in from japan via Roger clark motorsport UK ( great company )

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 08-31-11 at 01:10 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement