GD: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet
Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet

Old 06-09-17, 04:20 AM   #151
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: Rear diff is out. "Well .. it's something" \_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
You can order it... Also, I blasted my diff (stuffed axle holes full of rags then taped) and had no sand in it when I pulled the cover (put Perrin on). So, FYI...
The blasting option was a bit difficult to get done right now and i really wanted to do something on the car. So i went out and got 20$ worth of drill wirebrush attachments and went to town on the casing. Came out nice given i spent only 20 minutes on it. Now it needs an etching primer/rust converter and paint. I really want to get Por15 but it's damn hard to find here ... will keep looking.

I am however contemplating on taking the cover off and cleaning/polishing that aswell ... it would need a new gastket but +-13$ isn't that bad and since i'm changing both axle seals aswell i might aswell do the whole thing. What would you guy's do? Then again i should probably change the Vent cap thinghy aswell so as not to ever have to drop the diff again in the next 10 years.

Most of you guy's probably know how rusty these things get but here's a small section where you can see how it used to be. (disregarding the oil leak offcourse)

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 06-09-17 at 04:26 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-19, 08:29 AM   #152
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Still in the shed though not parted way's yet

Hi all.

I've had a nostalgic moment few weeks ago and decided to see what's happening on good 'ol IWSTI. Seems GD section is barely alive. Though it's nice to see at least a user here and there still rocking their GD impreza. I assume activity has either completely moved to social media or that the GD's are getting higher in age thus fewer and fewer enthousiast for it.

About my hawk well ... i still have it! That's all the good news i got. It's been sitting for (2 or 3?) years now. I've been doing my very best to keep it in good condition while sitting. I have dehumidifiers in the interior year round and i wash it every month or 2. I've ordered 350$ worth of nuts and bolts and some other stuff to put the rear drivetrain back together after the rust removal and painting. Wanted new hardware because i hate to see rusty bolts on fresh painted stuff.

Sorry the pictures all went offline ... keeping up the domain and server was costing money and i had no use for it except for the few pictures posted here. I should try to get them back up but yeah i'll see what i can do.

The engine ... well i would love to get it built in germany at subi-performance (check his YT channel this guy does amazing work! The attention to detail and his passion for these engines is awesome) But alas there's no funds and life is still ever going downhill.

I've been on the verge of parting way's with it and maybe will be again when i get the rear drivetrain back in place and all buttoned up. I want the car as close to "perfect" as i can get it before ever selling it. Working on it also breaks my heart so to speak so it's difficult to work on something you know you can't hop in and drive afterwards.

I'll see if i can get some pictures uploaded of the rear drivetrain. Take care everyone.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-06-19, 06:39 PM   #153
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

Good and sad to hear your update. Yes, social media seems to have taken the heat out of IWSTI (and the sale of it). Will look forward to seeing images when you post. What's the next project?

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 07:55 AM   #154
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Good and sad to hear your update. Yes, social media seems to have taken the heat out of IWSTI (and the sale of it). Will look forward to seeing images when you post. What's the next project?
Thanks. I've been trying IMGUR now cause it's free so i've uploaded some pics. The next project is "trying to keep my head above water" so i'm afraid there's no projects to speak of. Just buttoning up the STi as best as i can and see if i can bring myself to sell it.

Here's the rear subframe. It was by no means rusty like US people get (in the rust belt) but i wanted to stop or at least slow it down. I really wanted the car to last so yeah.

Bought 20$ worth of steel wire drill attachments and flap disc things and went to town.

After scuffing the good paint and removing as much rust as possible. Needless to say for the whole shebang i spent many hours on rust removal and sanding.

Inside was done aswell.

Same for the diff cradle

Sprayed with rust convertor (brunox) the other parts from the rear drivetrain where coated by hand (brush).

You can see the rust conversion starting on what rust that was leftover. Seems to do nothing on the bare metal.

Finally painted with Brantho Korrux (This stuff is used on drilling rigs in the ocean ... if this doesn't hold up i don't know what will)

I could search,resize,upload every single pic from every part but you get the idea ... So here is it all together.

The rear diff was done in Hammerite ... i dind't learn about the Brantho korrux stuff then as it was done a few months earlier. It has new axle oil seals aswell.

I had thought about what to do with the rusty nuts and bolts but reading loads on hydrogen embrittlement from rust removal using acid/chemical baths for rust removal and whatnot. Even with plating afterwards i feared it might be bad for the nuts and bolts so i went with new hardware (300$ worth)

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 09-08-19 at 04:37 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement