GD: '05 STi, newly non-daily-driver, starting to mod - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
'05 STi, newly non-daily-driver, starting to mod
'05 STi, newly non-daily-driver, starting to mod
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: '05 STi, newly non-daily-driver, starting to mod

Old 11-13-10, 02:12 PM   #11
maxxell
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver's education courses.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

maxxell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: '05 STi, newly non-daily-driver, starting to mod

Okay, pics!

Details:
https://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-membe...rting-mod.html

Last edited by maxxell; 01-22-13 at 07:19 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-10, 05:08 PM   #12
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Power steering FAILURE.

More info:
https://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...ml#post3088901

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-10, 01:09 PM   #13
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...sassembly.html

How-to: Remove a power steering pump.

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-11, 07:02 PM   #14
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2/19/2011 - First real Track Day! at Homestead Miami Speedway, with Hooked On Driving.

During the first session (but not the first lap), I got CEL P0244. I limped back to the pits, checked for mechanical problems. Finding none, I reset the ECU with the AP and went about the rest of the day simply avoiding WOT.

During the second session, some guy with FARA came up fast into my blind spot just as I was about turn-in on a right turn. I instinctively slowed down and waited to see him again before turning, but he waited for me to go through. Afterwards, the guy came up to me and apologized for "diving" on me. I learned that he knew where I was going, at full speed, and had the situation well in hand. I should have just continued on my line at speed, and trust that he was not going to be in my way. At this point in my racing career, I think I handled it quite well.

After my second session, my in-car instructor told me I was ready to go solo. It's my second day at this track (I did a track day in an M3 a few weeks ago). I am excited for a day solo, and now I can bring a friend along for a ride.

The final two sessions went without incident. Well, no incident that would make a mother freak out. Rather, I put up my fastest straight-line speed (113 mph), and fastest lap time (faster than my time in the M3). Those are both significant "incidents" to me.

Went home, slept, partied (it was my birthday, after all), and then started looking at the AP to see why I got the CEL. To my surprise, I noticed that for some reason I am running on a Stage 1 map (93 octane). WTF. I know I reflashed to Stage 2 ages ago. I've pulled the battery dozens of times since... but who knows.

At any rate, I called Cobb to discuss my stupidity and any potential ramifications. Steve and I discussed that with just a Stage 1 map, I wouldn't be getting target boost, and the CEL was only because the warnings were set too low. I am (obviously) going to reflash to Stage 2, but we also discussed adding an bit of a safety margin for engine longevity at the expense of some power.

He mentioned that I could use the Stage 2 91 octane map (as opposed to the 93 I have been using, and I will continue to use at least 93 octane gas) for a little extra safety measure.

So there you have it, I put the Stage 2 LWG maps onto the AP in case I keep getting the CEL, but will use the 91 octane maps.

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-11, 07:43 AM   #15
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

3/13 - STi's second day session at Homestead Miami was great. Let's review.

On the day before, I flushed the brakes with Superblue Type 200 (amber) and rotated the tires front to back (lost the damn locking lug nut key). I also taped up the area around the intake in an effort to reduce intake temperatures. In addition, I pulled the snorkus and dremeled-off everything below the elbow (then duct-taped the hole shut). This definitely has helped with the intake temps, btw.

There was a little complication at the tail end of the day, however. As I started running low on fuel, I re-upped with 98 octane at the track-side pump. Now, mind you, I'm running on the OTS Stage 2 (91 octane) map and I generally avoid WOT because I am far more interested in engine longevity than peak performance.

During my last session, on the third straight, I felt the car lose power momentarily. I came off the gas and scanned the dashboard for a CEL. None. I checked the AP to see if I over-boosted (I was live displaying boost on the AP to keep an eye on max boost) and I hadn't even increased the max for that session. At this point, I cant imagine why the car would lose power and not throw a CEL or overboost OR hit the rev limiter (I had the red beepy light set and it definitely did not go off).

Okay, maybe I just imagined it... or something. I went through the next turn and entered the back straight. Tentative throttle application was met with enthusiastic acceleration and so I progressively gave it more and more until I was confident nothing bad had happened. After a couple more laps, I noticed it happen again... at the same spot on the track. Same pattern, I had finished the prior turn in 4th gear and shifted into 5th for the race down the straight. Car hit max boost, held for a while, then gave out. I came off throttle, downshifted through the next turns, and everything was fine for the next straightaway.

It happened three times, never threw a CEL, and the boost never went over 19-20psi. WTF?

Also, in a hopefully unrelated note, when I checked the oil after the final session, I got some weird results. First time I dipped the stick, it came up @ a little over half, which is what I expected. Second time I dipped the stick, it came up bone dry. Third time, bone dry. Fourth time, about 1/4. Each time I did it, I left the dipstick in there for a few seconds, so it was really confusing. I checked for leaks, but didn't find anything. Even after leaving the car in place to cool off there was no pool of fluid under the car.

Regardless, I poured in the extra 1/2 bottle of oil I brought with me, and got consistent dipstick readings around 3/4 so I drove home, uneventfully.

It's time to start figuring out what happened.

Step 1: documenting the experience. Check.
Step 2: download AP logs. Check
Step 3: check dipstick
Step 4: check for oil pool under car built up overnight

Note: this is ongoing and will be edited/augmented as I proceed.

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-11, 08:42 AM   #16
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Downloaded the AP logs. I actually didn't notice much happening, but I dont know that I'm the best one to judge. I didn't even see anything bizarre when I reviewed any of the logs. Anyone have any interest in reviewing them to see if they can notice something wrong?

I logged each whole session, so the logs are pretty lengthy. I went through and cropped so only the dastardly straightaway is shown. I also have the unedited logs in case my procedure for locating the problem is flawed.

EDIT:
Logs lost to server changes

Details:

Last edited by maxxell; 01-22-13 at 07:20 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-11, 11:47 AM   #17
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Started new thread for this problem:
power loss without CEL at track day

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-11, 02:53 PM   #18
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

May 14, 2011
-Upgrade Day-

Installed gauges today!
1. AEM wideband a/f UEGO sensor with digital gauge
2. Defi Advanced Controller
3. Defi CR-series Oil Pressure gauge
4. Defi CR-series EGT gauge
5. ATI triple gauge cluster for clock area

Actually, everything showed up during the day thursday, but the shop wasn't available until Saturday. So I spent 6 hours on friday installing as much as I could. I got through all of the electrical stuff and the sensor for the wideband. The a/f gauge was 100% functional by the end of the day, but I did have to run to Tire Kingdom for help pulling the bung from the Cobb DP for the sensor.

Also, funny point, the AEM wideband required a switched 12v, but the Defi stuff required a constant 12v and a separate IGN (and lights) line. AEM = 2 wires. Defi = 4 wires. I used the clock wires for Defi and a hack on the cigarette lighter for the AEM.

Went to HP Motoring on Bird Road (Miami) for the install. Hensen, the install guy, was great. We discussed the process in detail (routing wires, etc), which I liked. Since it was only installing the remaining 2 gauges, it went without issue. We put the oil pressure switch where the stock oil switch goes, and the EGT probe went into the driver's side exhaust manifold.

On the ride home, I triggered warning on both the oil pressure and the exhaust temp gauges. I think they are too conservative.
The oil pressure idles below 2, and when I'm going back and forth into a parking spot, it triggers the warning. Since it's just while puttering around parking, I dont think it's a big deal. I'll do some research.
The exhaust temps (egt) get up around 700-800 Celsius while driving around, but if I hang out high in the RPM band - nowhere near redline, but later than I would otherwise shift - the temp climbs over 850 celsius, which is where the defi default warning goes off. Per intro research, though, some people have reported temps close to 1100C (~2000F) while at the track, so I think the defi is just set way too conservatively.

Let the research begin! I welcome insight.

Details:

Last edited by maxxell; 05-14-11 at 02:56 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-11, 10:53 AM   #19
maxxell

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

First datalogs.

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/cobb-str...ml#post3264079

Details:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-11, 11:53 AM   #20
A-man
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

A-man is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm kinda' worried about the 2 psi oil pressure.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement