GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 10-06-12, 09:27 AM   #81
BluSTi
IWSTI Guru
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 04 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Me!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BluSTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Almost blew it!

You know what I love? That you overboosted your '04 and it still didn't die.

Try that in anything from '07 on, I dare any of you.

Didn't think so. 04 FTMFW!
2005 Ducati 999
1972 Mustang Mach 1

"Brakes are the enemy of speed."

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause all of your worst fears to come true."
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-12, 10:48 AM   #82
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSTi View Post
Been there and done that with a fuel cut three times. Still strong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-06-12, 06:57 PM   #83
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian-X- View Post
Yeah man the DEFI's are insanely expensive but the quality is just top notch ... never seen a gauge that comes anywhere near them. They all try to copy them for a reason

I spent 1300 for the whole set ... when i think about it now yeah i probably can't justify the price but they are SO nice. I wanted those long before i actually got the subie

STRI gauges are similar in looks and far less pricey however i can't vouch for reliability/accuracy. Shadow pro also looks alot like defi's ... haven't heard of them before but RCM stocks them (they used to have DEFI and it's where i got mine)
Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Product Detail
They look good but again i have no clue about how good/bad they are ... just pitching some brands. I get sick just looking at the prices ... less than HALF of what i payed but hey i just had to have em.

(edit: part of my post removed that was intented for another thread lol.)
Thanks for the info! I'll check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSTi View Post
You know what I love? That you overboosted your '04 and it still didn't die.

Didn't think so. 04 FTMFW!
It sure gives me some peace of mind knowing that I temporarily ran 25+ PSI with no ill effects (seemingly at least) I really wish I had been logging when it happened. It could have popped off during an autocross run to be honest, I'm not sure. That's the first time I've really beaten on it since the turbo swap (besides the tune) so it would make sense. I know I'll be checking those lines after every run tomorrow though.

I should probably replace the normal vac line with some nice silicone stuff since it's so close to the turbo.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-12, 01:40 PM   #84
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: RCE Blacks + SMY cluster OTW!

Had a solid day of autocross yesterday even though I placed last in my class (street modified). I brought along my friend to co-drive with me and he beat me, for the third time We're always within a second of eachother so its always good competition and all in fun anyways since neither my car nor myself are prepared for SM to really contend. A wrx wagon with slicks and coilovers took first followed by an 09 GTR. I believe the wrx had an aftermarket turbo as well which would explain why he is in SM. Ill post the times once they are released.

In other news I decided to buy the RCE black springs and an SMY cluster. Haven't ordered the gauges yet but I'm going with the defi 52mm red racer series. I decided to go with the springs for now just to see how I like them as I'm going to run them in the last SCCA event of the year. I figured since I already have some good dampeners (koni yellows) i'll give em a go.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-08-12, 03:51 PM   #85
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm not sure if I should get rid of my current boost gauge or not and want some opinions! Here is the SMY cluster

This is my current setup

Should I get rid of the Omori boost gauge and get a defi boost gauge to go in the new cluster along with oil pressure? Or should I keep it and stick an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge in the new cluster? It looks like the Omori will block part of the left gauge, depending where I want my steering wheel positioned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-09-12, 08:45 AM   #86
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road

Personally i'd get rid of the omori gauge and get a new defi. Not because the omori is bad or anything but it'l just look awkward with 2 different gauges.

You could wait until you get the SMY cluster and defi oil press and see how it looks and decide later on wether or not to get an additional defi gauge. ( at risk of having to pay shipping for the second gauge afterwards and having to undo the whole thing again )
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-10-12, 11:10 AM   #87
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian-X- View Post
Personally i'd get rid of the omori gauge and get a new defi. Not because the omori is bad or anything but it'l just look awkward with 2 different gauges.
This is what I'm leaning towards right now. I have a slight amount of OCD when it comes to stuff like this.

Pulled out my stock turbo inlet last night, more cutting than pulling since I didnt lift the manifold. This would have been an easy job if I had the stock turbo but the 1.5xtr is slightly offset towards the passenger side and since the gimmick inlet is much beefier than the stocker it was not easy fitting it on the turbo. It still isnt fitting as well as I want it to so I'm going to remove it and do some trimming. I'll post some pictures of the issue I'm having once I get a chance.

My springs are scheduled to arrive today! I'll throw those in this weekend.

Last edited by willub; 10-10-12 at 11:20 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-11-12, 04:57 AM   #88
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Just in time for the NER Team Challenge!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-11-12, 11:27 PM   #89
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Oh yeah! Team STi to wreck shit!

Just got done hammering my inlet and intake back in What. A. Bitch. This thing BARELY works with the stock intake. I got home at 11 expecting to spend an hour on it I had to unbolt the filter box to allow it as much give as possible. The gimmick inlet comes closer to the passenger side of the car than the stock one, so the flex tube after the maf is being jammed pretty bad. I also had to heat the end of the flex tube and stretch it out to get it to fit on the metal insert that gimmick provides. Acejam2k also warned me about it hitting the p/s bolt and it does quite badly but there is a lot of extra material right at that curve so it should be just fine. Oh and getting the BPV return hose back on was not fun either. I do not recommend getting this inlet if you have the stock intake. I also had to use a piece of the original inlet that I cut off. It's for some stupid looking two wired sensor after the PCV. I'll eventually get pictures up.

I got my springs at least!

Last edited by willub; 10-11-12 at 11:33 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-12, 08:41 PM   #90
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Got the springs installed last night. Nothing went wrong surprisingly, but my top hats are a little worse for wear. The fronts are starting to crack and the bearings are quite rusty and crunchy. Whatever, they work. The springs did drop the car but it's barely noticeable, to me at least. I was going to measure before and after but I got too anxious and totally forgot. The ride really doesn't feel any harsher, but the steering response feels a lot better. I have yet to really push it so I can't say if it changed the way the car reacts but I'll find out this coming sunday. I forgot how loud this car is without a rear seat, feels like I'm in a full blown rally car

View from above in the midst of installing the RCE blacks

Boost leak! The left bolt was basically finger tight, and I've never touched those bolts.

Gimmick inlet before I trimmed the side slamming in to the compressor housing

After the cutting. Much better

Lol. I need new tires, and possibly a new passenger side ball joint

My dad's cuda that we've been building for quite some time. Almost done!

Since I had to move the cuda to get my car out, I decided to take a quick video of the exhaust since it sounds way too awesome not to. And yeah, it's got a hemi and so does the STi lol

https://www.youtube.com/v/?v=gKPaDs9crwg&feature=plcp
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement