GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 10-03-12, 04:33 PM   #71
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Autocross stuffs!

Almost blew up my motor today! Took the highway to work and went WOT in 5th merging. Wasn't totally paying attention to my boost gauge but thought I saw it read above 20 which is what my boost is set at. On my way home I went WOT in second while staring at the gauge and it quickly PEGGED and hit 25 psi which is all my gauge reads. I immediately let off the gas once I saw it get that high so I'm guessing I was only between 3500 and 4000 rpm. First thing I thought was a vac line popped off the EBCS. Pulled in to the garage, popped the hood and there she was, a vac line laying limp and floppin around in my engine bay. Thank you boost gauge.

Just to make sure I didnt destroy a piston I took the oil cap off while it was running and no smoke. Logged some and the DAM didnt drop so I must not have knocked much if any, thank jeebus

Last edited by willub; 10-03-12 at 09:17 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-12, 07:08 PM   #72
pingpong
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 OBP STi
Fav Mod: CS-X3 Squash air freshener
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Almost blew it!

Saves like that make even the $1000 Defi's well worth it when it saves a $4000 motor!!

Any plans on pushing that 1.5 harder with the stock block?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-12, 05:08 AM   #73
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Good save. Zip-ties FTW!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-12, 11:09 AM   #74
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

It popped off because I had to use a reducer since the nipples are much smaller on the EBCS than on the turbo. They are now zip tied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
Saves like that make even the $1000 Defi's well worth it when it saves a $4000 motor!!

Any plans on pushing that 1.5 harder with the stock block?
I do have plans for that, but not for quite some time. EL headers, up pipe, torn between bigger top mount or FMIC, and a good CAI. I figure I could hit 340 wheel on the same dyno with that setup.

Come early spring I'm gonna get some good coilovers. Racing again really inspired me to get some more suspension work done. The new AST 4150's look really intriguing, but we'll see if I have the money then. My current tires are toast as well so i'll be needing those for next summer. Depending on how much money I have leftover I want to get some 17x9 rpf1's and big ole slicks. It all depends on how much I can actually save.

For now I plan on getting some gauges. Probably oil temp, coolant temp and oil pressure. I might get a wideband as well. I wish I had taken out the one I was using on my rx7 before I sold it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-12, 11:29 AM   #75
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road

Good thing that it cought your eye. Where is your gauge located? I often feel like my center gauge pod is too far away to glance at/notice when things go wrong.

Try to get gauges that have the ability to set warning beeps and lights at a certain treshold. My defi advance gauges have this but i was forced to turn the beeping off because the oil press gauge beeps constantly with the ignition in the "acc" position. It was driving me insane not being able to listen to the radio while sitting the car stationary without that constant BEEEEEEEEEEEP .I really need to find a fix for this ...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-12, 12:28 PM   #76
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

It's in the stock sti location (I believe) on the left side of the gauge cluster mounted behind the steering wheel. It's an omni gauge or something like that and reads in psi, not megapascals or whatever the stock gauge reads

Don't see a way around that beeping unless you re-wire your radio. You could splice in to the constant power wire and run that to the current ACC wire (obviously disconnecting the ACC wire coming from the fuse box) so youre radio would be on all the time. You'd just have to remember to shut the radio off every time I'll definitely get a good set like that though.

Last edited by willub; 10-04-12 at 12:47 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-12, 01:44 PM   #77
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
It's in the stock sti location (I believe) on the left side of the gauge cluster mounted behind the steering wheel. It's an omni gauge or something like that and reads in psi, not megapascals or whatever the stock gauge reads
Probably an omori gauge. FYI there is this new pod by SMY clustermaker or something like that ... looks exactly like the autometer one. Ideal location for 2 gauges next to your normal cluster.

Quote:
Don't see a way around that beeping unless you re-wire your radio. You could splice in to the constant power wire and run that to the current ACC wire (obviously disconnecting the ACC wire coming from the fuse box) so youre radio would be on all the time. You'd just have to remember to shut the radio off every time I'll definitely get a good set like that though.
Believe it or not ... my headunit doesnt have an on/off button (pioneer avh-3300BT) it's on as soon as the key is turned. If only i was able to seperate the gauge alarms but you either have alarm on all of them or none. I do have the led light but it's doesn't catch your attention so well.

Anyway good luck with finding the right gauge setup and pod.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-12, 10:55 AM   #78
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'll look in to that, thanks. That sucks about your radio. You could always wire in a switch if you really wanted to fix it lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-12, 04:05 PM   #79
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian-X- View Post
Probably an omori gauge. FYI there is this new pod by SMY clustermaker or something like that ... looks exactly like the autometer one. Ideal location for 2 gauges next to your normal cluster.
Yep it's an omori. Most likely going with SMY cluster, looks much nicer than the autometer one. Now for the gauges. I REALLY want the defi's but holy nutbags are they expensive. They just look so damned good with the sti cluster though I might have to go for it.

Any more suggestions are welcome
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-06-12, 08:52 AM   #80
Guardian-X-

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Yep it's an omori. Most likely going with SMY cluster, looks much nicer than the autometer one. Now for the gauges. I REALLY want the defi's but holy nutbags are they expensive. They just look so damned good with the sti cluster though I might have to go for it.

Any more suggestions are welcome
Yeah man the DEFI's are insanely expensive but the quality is just top notch ... never seen a gauge that comes anywhere near them. They all try to copy them for a reason

I spent 1300 for the whole set ... when i think about it now yeah i probably can't justify the price but they are SO nice. I wanted those long before i actually got the subie

STRI gauges are similar in looks and far less pricey however i can't vouch for reliability/accuracy. Shadow pro also looks alot like defi's ... haven't heard of them before but RCM stocks them (they used to have DEFI and it's where i got mine)
Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Product Detail
They look good but again i have no clue about how good/bad they are ... just pitching some brands. I get sick just looking at the prices ... less than HALF of what i payed but hey i just had to have em.

(edit: part of my post removed that was intented for another thread lol.)

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 10-06-12 at 08:56 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement