GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 47 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 08-08-13, 01:38 PM   #461
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: ee eighty five

YOU HAVEN"T ALIGNED THE CAR!?!?!?!? wtf dude!! GO DO THAT NOW!!

I had a small amount of toe out on my car and I was last in class, fix the toe problem, and I was 1st!! Alignment is critical.

Are you going to stop with the 1.5xtr? or do you plan on going bigger later?

You need a set of side feed TGVs to tinker with? Mine are for sale.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-13, 02:20 PM   #462
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
YOU HAVEN"T ALIGNED THE CAR!?!?!?!? wtf dude!! GO DO THAT NOW!!

I had a small amount of toe out on my car and I was last in class, fix the toe problem, and I was 1st!! Alignment is critical.

Are you going to stop with the 1.5xtr? or do you plan on going bigger later?

You need a set of side feed TGVs to tinker with? Mine are for sale.
Lol I knew you'd comment on it not being aligned. My friend has told me many times that he was going to take it one day and do it, but he no longer seems interested The old tires were trashed so it wasn't a huge concern, but now it is.

I think the 1.5xtr may be it. The only other turbo option I'd consider is a low mount 30r type dealio, like killer B's. That's out of the question for now though.

No thanks on the tgv's, I'll be tinkering with my own
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-13, 06:21 PM   #463
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Devens Match Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
I recently had an epiphany on what the noise is coming from the rear of my car. The noise became very noticable right after I put the coilovers in. I didn't think much of it at the time, mainly because the back seat was out and I figured the extra noise was due to that. However once I put the seat back in it was still louder than before the coilover install. I still figured it was a wheel bearing. The new bearing helped but the noise was still there. I think it has been tire noise this whole time, due to misalignment. I have yet to get this car aligned since I have owned it. I really hope that's all it is.

Another topic, e85. Why? Because I'm a power hungry bastard! I would only be running e85 for autocross, since it's a 30 minute drive to the closest e85 stop. This is the parts list I've been thinking of.

Injector Dynamics top feed conversion kit
DIY TGV deletes
Some sort of hard inlet while I'm in there
Better in-tank fuel pump
New HD clutch

The plan is to drain the gas and swap tunes the night before a race, and throw some e85 in. I think I remember seeing a drain plug for the gas tank the last time I was under there. I'll check again.

This will obviously require two new tunes. I'm going to attempt tuning the car myself after I put the new injectors and fuel pump in. If the motor goes then oh well, it's done it's job long enough and I have been planning on it going anytime now. I'll start ordering the new parts soon and probably wait til the end of the autocross season to begin installing them so I have time to tune it. The ID coversion comes with 1000cc injectors and new rails. Will 1000's be sufficient for e85 and my 1.5xtr? I've read that my current injectors (dw 850's) almost flow as much as the ID 1000's.

As always any recommendations or advice is welcome! Brake stuff comes tomorrow!
Sounds like a lot of fun - but if you're only doing this for autocross, do you think there are other areas where that $$ could be spent, and still go towards better/improved times? I don't know what your long term plans are, but if it was me I'd maybe invest in race tires/wheels, or some other handling type parts. (brakes, bushings, etc) If you solely want more power just cause, then of course there is nothing wrong with that.

I strongly looked into E85 for autocross only as well. After consulting with Bren and doing the math, I would require DW1000cc injectors ($549), a new Walbro 400lph pump (E85 safe pump, $160), and Perrin V2 fuel rails ($400). According to him, these items would be required in order for my car to run well, fully tuned, on E85. And that's with a STOCK turbo. According to him - the ID1000's flow about the same as DW850's. The manufacturer measures differently.

Based on my research, for the stock turbo - thats about a 15whp and 25wtq increase for $1109.

PS: Get an alignment
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-13, 07:54 PM   #464
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Devens Match Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
If you solely want more power just cause, then of course there is nothing wrong with that.
Nailed it. Race tires/wheels should definitely be the next thing, but I love power Who knows, I may do wheels/tires as well by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
I strongly looked into E85 for autocross only as well. After consulting with Bren and doing the math, I would require DW1000cc injectors ($549), a new Walbro 400lph pump (E85 safe pump, $160), and Perrin V2 fuel rails ($400). According to him, these items would be required in order for my car to run well, fully tuned, on E85. And that's with a STOCK turbo. According to him - the ID1000's flow about the same as DW850's. The manufacturer measures differently.

Based on my research, for the stock turbo - thats about a 15whp and 25wtq increase for $1109.

PS: Get an alignment
Yeah I may as well go bigger on injectors to be safe. I heard the same thing about the ID 1000's. I want to at least get the car e85 ready at the end of the season. The problem with using the stock turbo is that you can pretty much max it out on 93. It starts dramatically losing compressor efficiency after 20ish psi I believe, so you're just super-heating the air going in to the engine, much more than the intercooler can handle. With the 1.5xtr it can be pushed to 25ish psi on e85, which would murder my engine once and for all TopSpeed did this and made 442whp/470wtq and that wasn't even the limit, they maxed the fuel pump. Their dyno reads very similar to Bren's. Fun? Yes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-13, 08:02 PM   #465
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

the 1.5xtr sounds pretty awesome!! what sort of boost threshold are you seeing?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-13, 09:07 PM   #466
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
the 1.5xtr sounds pretty awesome!! what sort of boost threshold are you seeing?

This is my old tune on EFI's low reading dyno with only what's listed down below for mods, minus fuel rails. No boost plot on the new tune As you can see it begins boosting much earlier than 2500. I would say it starts boosting around 2100 in fourth, but obviously takes a while to build up to full boost. When I drove mickle's car I was expecting it to feel much different than mine as far as lag goes, but it didn't. His peak torque hits at 3100 or something stupid low, but that's in fourth gear on a dyno. I think it feels very similar between the two turbos because we are only using first and second on course, with a little third sometimes. There isn't as much load on the engine in the lower gears so the turbo can't spool up quick enough for much of a difference to be felt. A good example of this is when you rev in neutral. No load = no boost. At least, that's just my theory on what's going on
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-13, 07:13 AM   #467
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I will be installing these this afternoon

Parts are on the way as well. Here's what I ordered

ACT Streetlite flywheel
Exedy Heavy Duty stage 1 clutch kit
Beatrush motor mounts

I figured I may as well get a new flywheel since resurfacing this one is not cost efficient around here. I need a new fuel pump as well. My walbro is squealing like a bastard upon start-up.

I should be able to find time to get the new clutch and mounts in before the next autocross. There is one tomorrow but I'm skipping it to save my tires. It's not at the normal location and about twice as far away for me and no one registered in SM the last time I checked. With the car not being aligned yet it isn't worth it to me.

Last edited by willub; 08-10-13 at 08:14 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-13, 11:03 AM   #468
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Got the brakes done and the extended studs installed. Believe it or not I didn't break any caliper bolts! One front one was stuck in there but after heating it up and cooling it down a few times it came out. One rear bleeder did snap though. It almost looks welded in due to the corrosion around it.

Yeah, these rotors were toast.

New stuff on

Broken bleeder. Luckily it didn't start to loosen up as it broke.

Errr. Yeah, all of that air came out of the caliper I opened it to let it gravity bleed and nothing was happening, for a while. So I put the pedal to the floor and propped a piece of wood against the seat to hold it down while I closed the bleeder. Only a tiny bit of fluid came out, then the bubbles started coming. Safe to say these brakes hadn't been bled in a while

One front bleeder was clogged up so I pulled it out and blasted it with compressed air. Fixed!

It's nice having brakes that work! Ferodo says to do 25-30 emergency type stops to bed them in. It was late so I did maybe ten total. I didn't feel like pissing my neighbors off too much I accidentally got the ABS to engage once, which never would have happened with the old stuff.

Last edited by willub; 08-12-13 at 11:18 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-13, 11:57 AM   #469
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Gravity bleed for the win! It takes a a LONG time though - I let it sit sometimes for 15 minutes PER nipple.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-13, 12:16 PM   #470
sigterm
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: My Hot Wife
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sigterm is on a distinguished road

Damn buddy, you aren't kidding, those rotors... they look pretty thin. Borderline frisbee's...
Glad you got it all done. Good job!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement