GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 34 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 06-03-13, 09:49 AM   #331
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Victory! Header installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Agreed, it was just odd driving it for the first time. The car only seems more responsive with the wastegate cycles being higher early on.

The hesitation between gears is virtually gone It isn't heat related like I thought though. It was still happening yesterday morning on the way to autocross. The car may have just needed some miles, so the ECU could do some slight learning. I will do some logging this week.
I have noticed that whenever I reset my ECU with Bren's tune, the learning process can be more "intense". Not sure if it's the placebo effect, but I could care less. After a couple drives, it's dialed back in perfectly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-13, 01:38 PM   #332
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: New tune by BrenTuning - 385whp/380wtq!

The car did great at autocross on Sunday. I'm really starting to get a feel for it with these coilovers. I started to realize that I can go through the slaloms much quicker than I was previously. Unfortunately the only competition I had was myself, so I took first in SM. I somehow didn't hit a cone all day and kept all of my times within a couple seconds of eachother while consistently improving, so I'm pretty happy with that. The course was fun as always, but quite annoying. It was the fastest, yet also the slowest course I've driven so far. I'll get a run uploaded later on.

The hesitation has returned I also did some logging and my a/f corrections are a little wacky. Learning A is fine but B and C are up above +15% and I saw short term trim peg at 25% a couple times, which bothers me. I will check for vac/boost leaks but the car is fine once it hits open loop. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my injectors and their unconfirmed size. I told Bren they were 850's, which is what they supposedly are. When I scaled them on my stock intake they scaled to what 740's are supposed to be (which I also mentioned). I don't know how he tunes the intake and the injectors simultaneously but if he used a baseline for 850's the car would lean out if the injectors were indeed 740's. I'm no tuner though so I really don't know what he does. If I can't find any air leaks I'll see what he thinks. Another possibility is that this intake is just a dick to tune. The hesitation definitely shouldn't be occuring though, as it didn't happen when I was driving the car around untuned.

Last edited by willub; 06-04-13 at 01:45 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-13, 03:23 PM   #333
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Check engine light just came on. Got a lean code, no surprise. I also talked to my friend who brought it there and he said it ran fine and didn't stumble on the way back after it was tuned. I'm thinking something came loose/popped off during his test drive. I'll have to check everything over tonight. Hopefully it's something simple.

Last edited by willub; 04-26-14 at 05:11 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-13, 04:01 PM   #334
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Good luck in figuring it out! I bet it is something silly. Break out the Zip Ties!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-13, 09:22 PM   #335
Acejam2k

My Subaru Parts for sale

I would shoot Bren an email or give him a call - he is very responsive.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-13, 09:38 AM   #336
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I was going to switch my stock intake back on this morning and load up the old EFI tune to rule out any air leaks. I know I had very minimal corrections with that tune so if I were to switch back and see no abnormal corrections I would know for a fact that it is the tune. In the middle of switching back I took a close look at the MAF sensor. The front of the element was covered in black sooty stuff. I immediately thought I found the problem. I thought that the new k&n filter may have been over oiled and the oil had built up on the sensor. I didn't have any electrical cleaner or MAF cleaner on hand so I just filled a small plastic cup up high enough with a hot water/soap solution so the element would soak in it. I'm sure people are about to yell at me with their keyboards saying you have to use MAF cleaner. Yea yea yea, this worked fine and I made sure water didn't get anywhere that couldn't be dried. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. The car still leans out in closed loop under light throttle but is perfect in open loop. My idle is also rock solid with corrections at + or - 1%. This isn't consistent with an air leak. I will put the stock intake on tonight and load my old tune to rule out an air leak for sure.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-13, 12:29 PM   #337
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Bren just got back to me and said he had all of the trims down to 5% or less. Something must have come loose on my friends test drive. I guess I'll rig up an intake pressure tester and see what I can find.

Anyone have ideas on what it could be? I get normal trims at idle. Under a little more load while I'm cruising it runs very lean. Then around 1/4 throttle my trims drop to about +10%. AFR is great when boosting and at WOT. I'm thinking it must be after the turbo, since a leak before it would create a lean condition while boosting. Also, the lean condition goes away as I get closer to 0 psi. Even pressures inside the engine and out means no air is being sucked in the leak or pushed out, theoretically. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-13, 12:54 PM   #338
Acejam2k

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Bren just got back to me and said he had all of the trims down to 5% or less. Something must have come loose on my friends test drive. I guess I'll rig up an intake pressure tester and see what I can find.

Anyone have ideas on what it could be? I get normal trims at idle. Under a little more load while I'm cruising it runs very lean. Then around 1/4 throttle my trims drop to about +10%. AFR is great when boosting and at WOT. I'm thinking it must be after the turbo, since a leak before it would create a lean condition while boosting. Also, the lean condition goes away as I get closer to 0 psi. Even pressures inside the engine and out means no air is being sucked in the leak or pushed out, theoretically. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Any idea what MAFv you're at when it starts to fluctuate? (A/B/C/D range?)

Also, did you clean the little orange ball on the MAF device? If you did, that's the intake temp sensor and will make no difference. The MAF wires are up inside the MAF and cannot be seen unless you look up the tube and in. I hate to say it but you really need to use MAF or at least brake cleaner on these wires. Water WILL fry this....

I have a ghetto intake pressure tester that I made. I can find obvious leaks with just a few pounds of air. I hook it up to my tire inflator and it's helped me out a lot in the past. You're welcome to borrow it if you want, but I have a feeling you have better equipment in this regard than I do. (I don't have a compressor )

Things to check based on my experience:
-Throttle body hose
-Turbo to TMIC coupler/elbow <--- This is a big one
-BPV hose connection on turbo inlet
-Turbo inlet caps/fittings/nipples

Last edited by Acejam2k; 06-05-13 at 01:01 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-13, 12:59 PM   #339
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
Any idea what MAFv you're at when it starts to fluctuate? (A/B/C/D range?)

Also, did you clean the little orange ball on the MAF device? If you did, that's the intake temp sensor and will make no difference. The MAF wires are up inside the MAF and cannot be seen unless you look up the tube and in. I hate to say it but you really need to use MAF or at least brake cleaner on these wires. Water WILL fry this....
Lol all I did was clean the intake temp sensor then. I didn't get any water up in the tube. It's leaning out in the B and C ranges.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-13, 01:03 PM   #340
Acejam2k

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Lol all I did was clean the intake temp sensor then. I didn't get any water up in the tube. It's leaning out in the B and C ranges.
Ah bummer. Yeah, clean up those MAF wires, I believe there are two of them. They can be seen more easily with a flashlight. New filters will usually pull some oil through, but I can't imagine that would cause a +15%, maybe 5-10% though.

Too bad Bren locks his maps, but I understand his reasons why. If you had the map in open source format, you could use RomRaider's MAF tool to benchmark your MAF table against your actual MAF curve. (and see if it follows, or how far off it is)

When I had my Gimmick inlet, my BPV hose wasn't fully seated onto the nipple. I used my pressure tester and added some air. It was very obvious once I stopped the pump - I could hear a light hiss sound, and I didn't need any water/soap mixture.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement