GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 32 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 05-24-13, 11:51 AM   #311
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tomei EL header and other goodies!

I should try it with my contour this weekend when I do my IC swap.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-13, 12:09 PM   #312
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
I should try it with my contour this weekend when I do my IC swap.
Do eeet. It's easy to do with the gopro because of the case. Just open the door to the case and close it with the strap in there. What IC did you get?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-24-13, 12:20 PM   #313
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Do eeet. It's easy to do with the gopro because of the case. Just open the door to the case and close it with the strap in there. What IC did you get?
GR STi

The contour has "hat" mounts, gotta dig through the bag of mounts I have.

Worse case I wear my helmet the whole time........
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-13, 12:37 PM   #314
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
GR STi

The contour has "hat" mounts, gotta dig through the bag of mounts I have.

Worse case I wear my helmet the whole time........
I may end up selling this AMR and go with a GR top mount. This thing feels like it weighs twice as much as the stocker, and I'm really not sure how well it works. Topspeed used the GR tmic when they tested the 1.5xtr, and it worked really well. I will see if Bren has anything to say about it after he tunes my car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-28-13, 01:16 PM   #315
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, it's done. The header and up pipe are installed along with the turbo blanket and new valve cover gasket. I thought this would maybe take me 5 hours total including the valve cover gasket. I ended up spending around 14 hours doing this entire job. It would have been around 10 hours if I didn't make a bonehead mistake when putting everything back together. The only part that went well was the valve cover gasket, which only took around an hour.

Fitment of the header is decent but I did have to force one side on. No big deal, but then came the up pipe. I first tried getting it in place from below before I installed the header, but it just wouldn't clear the header studs or stay anywhere I wanted it to so I figured I could just drop it in from above. This didn't work because tomei uses a 3 bolt flange that wouldn't fit between the head and the engine cradle/frame. So I unbolted the motor mount and jacked it up so it would clear. Got everything bolted up and eventually got the intercooler back on (if you think the stock one is tough to get on try the AMR, you'll start making up naughty words). Checked everything over and started her up. Everything was good, and then I looked under the car. Big puddle of wetness that wasn't there before. I immediately shut it off and took a look. My first though was that I fudged up the valve cover seal somehow, but it was oil free. The only oil I could see was dripping from the steering rack. Hrmmmm, maybe I jacked the motor up too far and put too much pressure on a line? The oil looked red because of the rusty bolts it was dripping off of, and the rest went in some speedy dry so i it was tough to tell. I called it a night and went home after spending 8 hours on the thing only to watch it bleed oil out. As soon as I got home it hit me. I never checked the oil drain tube from the turbo after lifting the turbo off of the up pipe. F*ck me. I guess it never went through my head because I never conciously removed it, and my brain was fried after spending so much time on it. Lesson learned.

I went back yesterday to take care of it. First I tried forcing it down and on to the tube from above, but it just wouldn't go. So I pulled everything back off and lifted the turbo to get it back on, then put it all back together again. Started it up, no leaks! Finally.

I have quite a bit of footage that I will eventually upload, maybe tomorrow night. The car basically sounds like a big four cylinder now, who woulda thought! It definitely doesn't sound bad, but I do miss the uneven rumblies. Tune coming Friday morning!

Last edited by willub; 05-28-13 at 02:24 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-13, 06:32 AM   #316
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
The car basically sounds like a big four cylinder now, who woulda thought! It definitely doesn't sound bad, but I do miss the uneven rumblies. Tune coming Friday morning!
As much as you will always miss the rumble, you will also learn to love the new sound. Especially once you hear it sing at 5,6,7k RPM. it sounds so much healthier.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-13, 01:50 PM   #317
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
As much as you will always miss the rumble, you will also learn to love the new sound. Especially once you hear it sing at 5,6,7k RPM. it sounds so much healthier.
I bet. I was going to throw the stock intake back on just so I could really get on it and hear how it sounds, but with everything going wrong I decided to leave it alone

Here is a video of me tooling around after the install. If you listen closely while I'm cruising you can hear the humming sound I've been trying to locate. Pretty sure its the driver side rear wheel bearing

https://www.youtube.com/v/bhO_um2CnDs

Can't tell if the YouTube thing is working cause for some reason my new phone doesn't show embedded videos

Last edited by willub; 05-30-13 at 01:56 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-13, 03:19 PM   #318
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Victory! Header installed

Youtube works, could not hear bearing noise on my craptop. Try re-torquing the axle nuts.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-13, 03:43 PM   #319
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Youtube works, could not hear bearing noise on my craptop. Try re-torquing the axle nuts.
Will do. It's very loud now. Every person that rides in my car instantly hears it and thinks a wheel is about to fall off I can't get any play out of the bearings though. I'll check it out tonight.

Right now it looks like I won't be able to get tuned before autox Sunday. Something came up and Bren cant do it tomorrow morning. Hopefully he has time Saturday after I get out of work. We'll see. I can always put the stock intake back on and see if it's safe to go WOT. I'm sure it will be ok.

Last edited by willub; 05-30-13 at 03:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-13, 08:36 PM   #320
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I couldn't get the axle nut any tighter. I'm just gonna do the rear wheel bearings next week, screw it. 132k miles, I think they're due.

I also popped the stock intake back on and the car runs fine with it, so if it comes down to it I can race with that. I'll know tomorrow if I can get tuned before Sunday.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement