GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 24 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 04-26-13, 03:20 PM   #231
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tire Trilemma

Normally I would say man up but I completely understand the dilemma. Plus you won't believe how much faster the car will be with the new suspension. That in mind it would probably serve you well to get familiar with the new setup on street tires before moving to rcomps anyways. Josh seems pretty happy with his Z2s, can't go wrong with them, though I can't say anything bad about the Kumho XSs that I ran at the last Renegade event. My tires are only 10mm wider than his and we were neck and neck the whole time during the full course runs. I'm not sure how they stack up price wise though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-13, 04:33 PM   #232
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoint View Post
IMO...

I have the Z1 Starspecs and the RS-3s.

I did not care for the RS-3s on the street. They had tire pull, rough ride, and alot of noise. On the track they did really well, but I did not consider them leaps and bounds better then the Z1s.

The Z1s are much better as DD tires. I will not buy another set of RS-3s, though I will use the ones I have as track tires.

The Rivals are the new tires on the block. So far everything looks really good, but I have not seen any in depth independant reviews. I plan on trying these next after the Z1s wear out.

The Z2s seem like a good bet also. I do not think you would go wrong with them, or the Rivals. Re-11a would be nice, its just hard to justify the price.

Good luck with you choice. What is nice is there are so many choices, unless you are having a hard time trying to decide on which one
Thanks. I had star specs on the stock wheels and ran those at autox until they were toast. I also had them on my rx7 when I sold it. They were much better than any other tires in it's price range back then. I really don't mind issues on the street with tires such as noise or pull like you mentioned. Maybe it's because most roads around here are backroads. I have heard they are much worse in the rain than the star specs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
Normally I would say man up but I completely understand the dilemma. Plus you won't believe how much faster the car will be with the new suspension. That in mind it would probably serve you well to get familiar with the new setup on street tires before moving to rcomps anyways. Josh seems pretty happy with his Z2s, can't go wrong with them, though I can't say anything bad about the Kumho XSs that I ran at the last Renegade event. My tires are only 10mm wider than his and we were neck and neck the whole time during the full course runs. I'm not sure how they stack up price wise though.
The Kumho's seem to be in the middle as far as price goes, and are actually available in 275/40/17 unlike the others. I may just stick to 255 though, just to keep fender clearance headaches as far away as possible. Like you say it may be better to stick to street tires for now until I actually get some consistent experience driving this car the way it is. I also wouldn't mind looking at RPF1's all the time rather than the dinky stockers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-13, 05:05 PM   #233
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Z2's or Rivals

Wish I knew this a couple weeks ago - I would've given you my old 275/40 A6's. (heat cycled but probably had 2-3 events left)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-13, 06:48 AM   #234
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
Z2's or Rivals

Wish I knew this a couple weeks ago - I would've given you my old 275/40 A6's. (heat cycled but probably had 2-3 events left)
Damn, oh well.

I think I'll go with the Z2's. Unless I can lure another friend in to co-drive (and to go halfsies on Hoosiers LOL) I'm really not seeing a need to get r comps yet though, and I like the idea of using my RPF1's for DD duties.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 07:44 AM   #235
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
... and I like the idea of using my RPF1's for DD duties.
Plus, 'arrive and drive' is always nice. Especially at the end of the day.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 08:00 AM   #236
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
Plus, 'arrive and drive' is always nice. Especially at the end of the day.
Definitely. Working early on Saturday followed by another long day of autocross is rough enough as is. This brings me to another positive point of not having slicks. The only good floor jack I have weighs 80 lbs. and won't fit under my car lol. I bet I could find a decent aluminum one for a good price, but who needs a jack when you have this big blue thing that lifts your whole car up? I really should get a good jack though to bring along with me just incase.

Z2's it is!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 08:21 AM   #237
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Definitely. Working early on Saturday followed by another long day of autocross is rough enough as is. This brings me to another positive point of not having slicks. The only good floor jack I have weighs 80 lbs. and won't fit under my car lol. I bet I could find a decent aluminum one for a good price, but who needs a jack when you have this big blue thing that lifts your whole car up? I really should get a good jack though to bring along with me just incase.

Z2's it is!
I always jack up from the side and destroy my pinch welds even more when switching tires at events.

I ran the Z2's at one event so far this year and they held up great. R-comps are always nice, but realistically we're talking 1-2 seconds at MOST between the two.

I assume you are running SM this year?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 08:55 AM   #238
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
I always jack up from the side and destroy my pinch welds even more when switching tires at events.

I ran the Z2's at one event so far this year and they held up great. R-comps are always nice, but realistically we're talking 1-2 seconds at MOST between the two.

I assume you are running SM this year?
Yeah SM. One of my pinch welds collapsed last year when I was swapping wheels outside. Oh well, that's what they're for!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-13, 01:35 PM   #239
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

@ pinchwelds that are intact!!
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 05-01-13, 01:15 PM   #240
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Dunlop Z2's ordered!

I ordered the Dunlop Z2's this afternoon and tire rack already shipped them! They should be here Friday, so they get to sit in my garage and tease me for another month until I get my wheels
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement