GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 23 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 04-02-13, 10:45 AM   #221
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers have arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
Can't wait to see how you do on course with the new suspension and tires!
Unfortunately it will be quite a while before I get the tires/wheels. It should be pretty funny watching me on these coilovers and used all seasons

I'll be installing them tonight I guess I will put my stock wheels on with my beat star specs. Definitely won't be a good test as it's quite cold out. Its actually snowing out.

Last edited by willub; 04-02-13 at 10:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-13, 04:30 PM   #222
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road

Glad you got your coilovers! The new fortune autos seem like a great buy! Let me know how you like them.

Also, the I checked with AutoRnD the other day and the wheels are still on schedule! Only 2 months!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-02-13, 08:39 PM   #223
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazel View Post
Glad you got your coilovers! The new fortune autos seem like a great buy! Let me know how you like them.

Also, the I checked with AutoRnD the other day and the wheels are still on schedule! Only 2 months!
Will do. Can't wait for those things to finally come!

First time on the ground after guesstimating ride height. Not too bad! The front is a little low but I will mess with it later.

The install went very smooth. Besides me not noticing the rear brake line mounts were offset for each side of the car At first I thought... Hmmm these little brackets are of zero use! Then I realized that it would work perfectly on the opposite side So I just swapped the height adjustment collars.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet because my dads cuda is in the way. Moving that thing around late at night is asking for the cops to show up. It's a little loud. I will update in the morn!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-13, 03:24 AM   #224
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers installed!

It's good you caught the wrong side thing. I read about someone else doing that with these coilovers and the camber was all screwy a and they couldn't get it even from left to right. Though I don't think they had camber plates, but still would have been wrong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-03-13, 07:52 AM   #225
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers installed!

Why didn't I do this earlier?!? The car feels amazing, and I'm still on my winter tires! I can't imagine what a good alignment and 275 Hoosiers will feel like Can't wait to get on course with it now. Why do I have to go on vacation right when the AX season starts? Poor planning on my part

I honestly like the way it rides now more than with the RCE blacks and koni yellows. Dips and crests in the road are much firmer but still comfortable. Over sharp bumps in the road it really seems to soak them up quite well to my surprise. I really couldn't stand the boat like feeling the car had before, maybe that's why I like the ride so much right now. It feels like a go kart and is totally daily drivable, and believe me the roads here SUCK.

I still have some adjusting to do. I noticed the passenger side front is up about a 1/4 inch higher than the driver side. I'm going to check everything after driving around for a few days so I'll measure my ride height and adjust everything then.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-24-13, 01:39 PM   #226
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Thinking of starting a new project

Nothin new with the STi, still waiting on the wheels and tires before I roll my fenders and figure out what needs to be done with the rear. I don't want to go too crazy with fender mods as I am now planning on possibly building a track car If I can find the right rolling chassis for the right price I will most likely go for it. It will take quite a bit of time to get everything together for it so I would continue to race the STi until it's ready to go. What will the car be you ask? I'm having rotary withdrawals.

A 93-95 rx7 is what I want, but it will be tough to find what I want for the right price. So if anyone knows of an FD for sale with a bad or missing motor let me know!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-13, 12:27 PM   #227
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tire Trilemma

So it doesn't look like my co-driver will be helping with funds on Hoosiers, or even driving my car for that matter. Now I'm not sure I want to drop 1200 bucks on them. These are the options I've been running through in my head.

255/40/17 direzza ZII's $740ish
Same size rs-3's for $600

Or man up and get the a6's for $1200

If I were to get a street tire I would just use them for daily driving on the rpf1's, and sell my stock wheels. I don't need the Hoosiers to be competitive in my class right now so it does seem like overkill. Any and all advice is welcome
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-13, 12:58 PM   #228
rustler753
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: 608whp!
My Subaru Parts for sale

rustler753 will become famous soon enoughrustler753 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
So it doesn't look like my co-driver will be helping with funds on Hoosiers, or even driving my car for that matter. Now I'm not sure I want to drop 1200 bucks on them. These are the options I've been running through in my head.

255/40/17 direzza ZII's $740ish
Same size rs-3's for $600

Or man up and get the a6's for $1200

If I were to get a street tire I would just use them for daily driving on the rpf1's, and sell my stock wheels. I don't need the Hoosiers to be competitive in my class right now so it does seem like overkill. Any and all advice is welcome
The ZII's I've been researching a lot lately. They've received really nice reviews all over the place. Have you considered the Rivals either? Same size and really close on price, and a lot of autocrosser's have been averaging faster lap times with them. They say the rivals were a bit more predictable at the limits.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-13, 01:32 PM   #229
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I had heard about the rivals but being BFG's I figured they would be expensive. It would be 844 in the same size as the others. Not sure I'd want to spend 244 dollars over the rs-3 to possibly get ever so slightly better times. I don't like that dollar to second ratio Thanks for the input
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-13, 02:38 PM   #230
VanishingPoint
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STI WRB
Fav Mod: RCE Blacks
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VanishingPoint is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
I had heard about the rivals but being BFG's I figured they would be expensive. It would be 844 in the same size as the others. Not sure I'd want to spend 244 dollars over the rs-3 to possibly get ever so slightly better times. I don't like that dollar to second ratio Thanks for the input
IMO...

I have the Z1 Starspecs and the RS-3s.

I did not care for the RS-3s on the street. They had tire pull, rough ride, and alot of noise. On the track they did really well, but I did not consider them leaps and bounds better then the Z1s.

The Z1s are much better as DD tires. I will not buy another set of RS-3s, though I will use the ones I have as track tires.

The Rivals are the new tires on the block. So far everything looks really good, but I have not seen any in depth independant reviews. I plan on trying these next after the Z1s wear out.

The Z2s seem like a good bet also. I do not think you would go wrong with them, or the Rivals. Re-11a would be nice, its just hard to justify the price.

Good luck with you choice. What is nice is there are so many choices, unless you are having a hard time trying to decide on which one
I think itís like being a singer. You have to have a good voice, but perhaps that voice can be transformed into a great voice. In motor racing, if you have the feel for it, and if you are a competitive person, if you need to win and are not prepared to take second place . . . Those facets of your character are important, but frankly I think they make you much more difficult to live with.
Sir Stirling Moss
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement