GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 18 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 02-26-13, 02:08 PM   #171
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Spring rate suggestions?

FWIW, I went with 9k/10k. I did this to get some extra rotation, and as you have seen it certainly worked! I expect to rein it in a little bit this year by making some alignment changes. I am hoping that new alignment settings and the gobs of grip I should have with the new tires will put me right were I want to be.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-13, 02:31 PM   #172
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Yeah I noticed your car was very tail happy, which is what I would like but I should be able to tune that with my sway bar and rebound settings hopefully. I HATE understeer.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-26-13, 02:35 PM   #173
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, I was also driving the shit out of the poor car. Way beyond the tire size that I was running. With those rear camber plates you can dial in enough camber to get things loose. That was part of my problem, I think, was too much rear camber.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-13, 03:17 PM   #174
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road

Depending on your front/rear weight bias we can induce some more rotation without having higher spring rates in the rear than in the front. It will be based upon your average corner weight to wheel rate ratio (corner weight/wheel rate) front and rear. Then you can fine tune with your sways.

9k/10k on a GD chassis would be great for what I would consider/think is WAY too much oversteer from the start, but that just isn't my driving style or how I want my car to handle.

Yet I don't blame anyone trying that for doing it. Sounds like fun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
Yeah, I was also driving the shit out of the poor car. Way beyond the tire size that I was running. With those rear camber plates you can dial in enough camber to get things loose. That was part of my problem, I think, was too much rear camber.
What rear camber were you running?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-26-13, 04:25 PM   #175
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Keep in mind that I am building mine geared toward autocross exclusively, everything else comes second. And that this year I will be on 295 Hoosiers not 245 Kumhos. I was running as much as 1.9* in the rear last year.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-26-13, 04:56 PM   #176
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

If you will be running r-comps, then I suggest stiffer rates. I'm running 700/600 springs now, and I think it's just about perfect. The next step up from here is ~800/700, and I think that will be a bit too stiff. Keep in mind that I also daily drive this car on the street.

If you keep your front sway bar on there's a good chance you will get some understeer. If you leave the rear bar on, you'll lift the inside rear excessively. Both of these scenarios happened to me, so I'm back to stock sways now with high spring rates.

If you decide to wait until later to purchase, I'd be happy to take you for a ride at a Renegade or NE-SVT/BSCC event so you can see what it feels like.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-26-13, 08:37 PM   #177
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
If you will be running r-comps, then I suggest stiffer rates. I'm running 700/600 springs now, and I think it's just about perfect. The next step up from here is ~800/700, and I think that will be a bit too stiff. Keep in mind that I also daily drive this car on the street.

If you keep your front sway bar on there's a good chance you will get some understeer. If you leave the rear bar on, you'll lift the inside rear excessively. Both of these scenarios happened to me, so I'm back to stock sways now with high spring rates.

If you decide to wait until later to purchase, I'd be happy to take you for a ride at a Renegade or NE-SVT/BSCC event so you can see what it feels like.
Hmm, maybe 12k/11k or 12k/10k. I don't mind a stiff ride! All of the roads going to work are freshly paved I was expecting to ditch at least one bar due to the stiff rates.

Honestly I'm probably not going to bother getting my car weighed, but thanks for the help yazel. I dislike bringing my car to other people and giving them money for things they do with it Maybe I'll get some scales

I'll probably order them in a few weeks once I get my tuning plans squared away (AP dongle arriving in the morning! ). I may take you up on that ride-along offer depending on when the events are held
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-13, 03:29 PM   #178
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The new AP dongle is further broken than my old one. My AP wont even turn on with the new one. With the old one it can't communicate with the ECU. One pin was a little bent on the new one so I figured that may be it and bent it back up a little, nope. I am disappoint. I even had it over-nighted because of how impatient I was with not being able to log or look at anything
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-13, 04:38 PM   #179
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road

I guess I have it nice having access to scales whenever I want...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-13, 11:22 AM   #180
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazel View Post
I guess I have it nice having access to scales whenever I want...
Yeah I was looking at scales but I'd rather spend 1000 bucks on something else lol

Good news and bad news. The good news is that my co-driver is up to drive my car again this season and actually offered to pay for half the cost of the Hoosiers. Sweet!

The bad news is that I still have no AP dongle. I have nothing good to say about Cobb at the moment and I will leave it at that for now until the situation is resolved. My second dongle was supposed to arrive today, and it did according FedEx. My eye balls tell me different though, its not here I checked my dads house as well since we have the same name, nope. This obviously may not be cobb's fault. This is getting quite frustrating
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement