GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 02-06-13, 04:13 PM   #141
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Oil pressure issue is fixed, but...

Glad you got your wheels ordered! Those guys over at AutoRnD are great!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-13, 08:12 PM   #142
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Can you describe the noise a bit more?

My understanding is that if a bearing goes you'll find copper particles in the filter, which you should cut open. Also, what makes you think it's a wrist pin? In order for a wrist pin to slide out of place, one of the circlips would need to be removed, no?

PS: Heuberger Subaru sells shortblocks for $1645. Pick one up, drop in a CP piston kit yourself, clean your heads, and you're good to go!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 08:16 AM   #143
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

This is what it sounded like for about a minute, then it slowly went away. I'm going to cut my old filter open tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tof3Ij827Y

Here it is starting up this morning. Can't hear anything out of the ordinary. Sorry for the shakiness, it's cold out and this camera weighs nothing

https://www.youtube.com/v/6IKLACsmIGs

I don't know what's going on. I thought it was going to be temperature related, but it's not. Maybe there was enough oil getting pumped up to the rod bearing but not enough to slosh up to the wrist pin, and mind you I drove it for about 4 hours on the highway at 3k rpm the night before the noise occured. All I know is that it was making a bad noise like in the link up above and now it seems fine.

Maybe my engine was built by unicorns and it fixed itself!

Last edited by willub; 02-07-13 at 11:14 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-13, 11:32 AM   #144
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
Can you describe the noise a bit more?

My understanding is that if a bearing goes you'll find copper particles in the filter, which you should cut open. Also, what makes you think it's a wrist pin? In order for a wrist pin to slide out of place, one of the circlips would need to be removed, no?

PS: Heuberger Subaru sells shortblocks for $1645. Pick one up, drop in a CP piston kit yourself, clean your heads, and you're good to go!
I'm thinking there was somehow a lack oil getting to it, creating unusual wear or it was just dry and now the oil is just quieting it down. But the noise isn't returning so I really don't know.

That actually sounds like a good idea! I might just do that as a back up motor for when this one does inevitably go. Yours just has CP drop ins right? How's the noise factor?

Last edited by willub; 02-07-13 at 11:36 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 12:47 PM   #145
racerkilla
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Wrb 04 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

racerkilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be a long shot but here at the shop we had a 4.6 3v have a similar sound until warmed up and it was the variable cam timing. On the ford had to replace the cam gear phaser. The sti uses the avcs, wonder if that is messing up. Have you ever cleaned the screens in the banjo nut for the oil going to the avcs unit on top of the heads?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 12:56 PM   #146
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I made a thread in the 2.5 factory engine section and it has been said that it could have been the buckets. Like I said earlier, maybe there was a lack of oil getting to a head and creating the noise. This makes sense as the noise is not returning and would be awesome if that's all it was. If I don't find any metal in the oil filter tonight I'm going to forget that I ever heard this noise
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 01:25 PM   #147
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
Might be a long shot but here at the shop we had a 4.6 3v have a similar sound until warmed up and it was the variable cam timing. On the ford had to replace the cam gear phaser. The sti uses the avcs, wonder if that is messing up. Have you ever cleaned the screens in the banjo nut for the oil going to the avcs unit on top of the heads?
I actually removed the one from the passenger side head as I'm using braided stainless line now since I swapped my turbo. I don't know too much about the avcs on this car, I guess I'll do some research. Thanks for the suggestion
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 02:55 PM   #148
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

It might be a bit of a pain, but I would definitely remove the AVCS screens if you have a chance. If any bits get into the system they'll get caught by the screens, but then that component may suffer oil starvation. (if the screen gets clogged)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 04:03 PM   #149
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
If I don't find any metal in the oil filter tonight I'm going to forget that I ever heard this noise
I tried to take that attitude as well... Look where I ended up LOL. I hope it turns out to be OK but I would prepare for the worst.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-13, 06:20 PM   #150
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
It might be a bit of a pain, but I would definitely remove the AVCS screens if you have a chance. If any bits get into the system they'll get caught by the screens, but then that component may suffer oil starvation. (if the screen gets clogged)
Is it just the two on the passenger side head? I've never taken a close look at the drivers side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
I tried to take that attitude as well... Look where I ended up LOL. I hope it turns out to be OK but I would prepare for the worst.
yeah I know. If it happens it happens. Anything can fail at any moment really. I think it will be alright, I'm becoming convinced it was an issue with the AVCS

I cut open my oil filter and there are no signs of bearing failure or any metal. I'll be hooning around in the snow tomorrow and Saturday. I'm gonna beat the snot out of it before I drive it three hours up to the rally x event. I'd rather something go horribly wrong down here where I get free towing
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement