GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 02-03-13, 04:36 PM   #131
racerkilla
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Wrb 04 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

racerkilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Oil pickup is out

I'm doing the killer b pan/pick up soon as it comes in. Tell your dad nice cuda. I have a 68 formula s,72 and 73 cuda along with a roadrunner and duster. My sti just don't fit in.

Did the new tube fix your oil pressure issue?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-13, 04:48 PM   #132
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Cracked oil pickup tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
I think you missed this post v and I checked my oil and it wasn't too low
Wow I completely missed that post - my bad!

Is the new pickup in?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-13, 09:27 PM   #133
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Cracked oil pickup tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
I'm doing the killer b pan/pick up soon as it comes in. Tell your dad nice cuda. I have a 68 formula s,72 and 73 cuda along with a roadrunner and duster. My sti just don't fit in.

Did the new tube fix your oil pressure issue?
Awesome! I was in to muscle cars when I was younger, and still am but they don't work as a DD. Especially up here in mass and I have no money for another vehicle. I went the import route and bought an 87 rx7 turbo right when I turned 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
Wow I completely missed that post - my bad!

Is the new pickup in?
All good. It's not in yet, I was furious that night and have not been back in my garage. I decided to actually use my only day off as a day off and relax. I went to the dealer Saturday though and they didn't have a new dipstick tube in stock anyways. It will be in Tuesday. They also only had three bond in the huge caulking gun tubes, so I didn't bother asking how much that would cost as a normal sized tube is 40 bucks. I'll just use some permatex stuff specifically made for oil pans and valve covers. I'll slap the new pickup in tomorrow along with the pan, then I'll add the oil and plop dipstick tube in Tuesday. I still can't believe how rusted in place that tube was. I'm also going to get the rounded motor mount nut off just to save some hassle in the future and to make the pan install easier.

Unrelated update on the GoPro, it works really well. I brought it up to Maine last sunday to get some snowmobile footage. The battery died pretty quick though so I only got about 30 minutes of total footage, recording on 1080p 60fps. I'll be testing it out on my car up at the team o'neil test and tune rally x this coming Sunday, can't wait!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-13, 07:56 PM   #134
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

The new pickup is in and it's all back together! Just letting the sealant cure overnight before I dump the earl in. My dipstick tube was just as much of a pain to get back in, and I still don't think it's fully seated. The piece on the pan itself is basically rotting away. If I have a sealing issue there I may just get the KillerB unit.

Also, I ordered some Enkei RPF1's in 17x9.5 +38 last night AutoRnD was getting some from Enkei in 5x100 so they contacted yazel, the OP of our group buy that was originally going to be done through tire rack. The only downside is that they will not arrive until May/June. Something to look forward to I guess

I will update in the morning with news on my oil pressure situation
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-05-13, 08:02 PM   #135
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
The new pickup is in and it's all back together! Just letting the sealant cure overnight before I dump the earl in. My dipstick tube was just as much of a pain to get back in, and I still don't think it's fully seated. The piece on the pan itself is basically rotting away. If I have a sealing issue there I may just get the KillerB unit.

Also, I ordered some Enkei RPF1's in 17x9.5 +38 last night AutoRnD was getting some from Enkei in 5x100 so they contacted yazel, the OP of our group buy that was originally going to be done through tire rack. The only downside is that they will not arrive until May/June. Something to look forward to I guess

I will update in the morning with news on my oil pressure situation
Those will be awesome wheels. Any ideas on tire selections yet?

Interesting to hear about the dipstick. Be sure that the lower o-rings are on in place. I know KillerB recommends a bit of fuji bond around the lower dipstick portion where it goes into the pan to prevent any leaks. However the factory o-rings should be fine as it's not sealed from the factory and I believe KillerB only recommends it as a "just in case" type of thing. When I re-seated mine I grabbed part of it with my right hand, and pushed down from the top with my left. As long as it appears to be all the way in and the bracket lines up with the bolt hole, you should be fine. Luckily this can always be removed later on if needed without needing to remove the pan.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-13, 07:41 AM   #136
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
Those will be awesome wheels. Any ideas on tire selections yet?

Interesting to hear about the dipstick. Be sure that the lower o-rings are on in place. I know KillerB recommends a bit of fuji bond around the lower dipstick portion where it goes into the pan to prevent any leaks. However the factory o-rings should be fine as it's not sealed from the factory and I believe KillerB only recommends it as a "just in case" type of thing. When I re-seated mine I grabbed part of it with my right hand, and pushed down from the top with my left. As long as it appears to be all the way in and the bracket lines up with the bolt hole, you should be fine. Luckily this can always be removed later on if needed without needing to remove the pan.
For now I'm going to run 245/40 kumho v710's cause they're cheaper than the hoosiers and last longer from what I've heard. Only 245's for now because I'd need coilovers for anything wider.

I'm guessing you were able to grab the tube at the bottom because your headers were off right? I could hardly get a couple fingers near the damned thing I didn't need to take my stock manifolds off to do the job and I knew once those heatshields came off, they weren't going back on. Right now I'm not worried about it as I have a bigger issue

So I filled it up with oil and pulled the IGN fuse so I could crank it over for a while and make sure everything was primed. Started it up and the same noise was present. This time I just left the car running as nothing could be done at this point. My oil pressure is now back to normal at least, 95ish psi at a cold idle and around 40 psi at a warm idle at 850 rpm. It sounded like rod knock to me, aka spun bearing. I left it running and messed with stuff trying to see if the noise was something vibrating (desperation ). After about a minute of running the noise slowly went away. Keep in mind my oil pressure is exactly where it should be. I drove the car outside and let it idle up to temp, revved it in neutral and couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I drove the car to my moms house and it was fine, no noises, solid oil pressure and it drove 100% normal. I know it could still be a spun bearing, since they can make zero noticeable noise. I found no signs of metal in my oil pan or anywhere when I was swapping pickups as well.

I'm not sure what to do. If I had the money I'd probably just throw a new shortblock in, but I don't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point. I'm going to drive it to work and see if the noise comes back when I leave, when the engine is cold. If it does it looks like I'll be selling my snowmobile and getting a new engine Oh well, these past winters have sucked anyways
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-13, 08:46 AM   #137
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Oil pressure issue is fixed, but...

I'm gonna have lots of spare parts if you need anything! Can I interest you in a "lightly used" short block? It just needs a little TLC lol.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-13, 09:59 AM   #138
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
I'm gonna have lots of spare parts if you need anything! Can I interest you in a "lightly used" short block? It just needs a little TLC lol.
I'd just need to unfuse the pieces of piston melted into the cylinder wall right?

We'll see what happens tonight. I really want to do this rally x. I'm seriously considering going (probably won't) even if it is a spun bearing, even at the cost of my heads and punching a rod through the block. No guts no glory! Oh and right when I say this winter has sucked they forecast 15-20 inches for Friday LOL.

A few questions for spun bearing experts that may happen to read this. Is there a way that a spun bearing won't cause an oil pressure drop? Does a spun bearing always result with metal in the oil pan/filter? I've always thought yes, but maybe there are some rare occurrences. Also are there any other possibilities this noise may be coming from? Such as oil not making it to a head and the cam lobes dryly smacking the buckets? I'm trying to exhaust all possibilities before dropping tons of money.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-13, 10:54 AM   #139
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm now thinking it may be a wrist pin, due to only half of the symptoms of a spun bearing adding up.

Edit: If the noise returns tonight, and I'm quite sure it will, I'll pull the motor and pull the pistons. I should be able to tell if it's a wrist pin once I get the heads off. I may be able to save this thing

Last edited by willub; 02-06-13 at 12:17 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-13, 03:29 PM   #140
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Started it up after it sat outside for 6 hours in 30 degree temps and no knocking. Now I'm stuck in somewhat of a grey area I hate grey areas, they suck. I THINK I could hear a very faint sound but it may not have been anything. I'll let it sit outside overnight and see what's what in the morning. If there is no noise, I may just say screw it and run the motor till I get a definite issue. Yes I know this means I will probably need new everything when it finally goes, but I'm not willing to put tons of time and money I don't have in to something that may be fine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement