GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 13 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 01-25-13, 01:29 PM   #121
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: I bought me a GoPro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Some solid good news is that I have some tires to run for this coming summer. My friend who works for Mercedes nabbed some 235/45/17 toyo proxes 4's with about half of their life left, fo' free! They're all seasons but hey, saves me from blowing 600 bucks on tires. They'll be good for rainy auto-x days as well.
Nice! Any free tires are good tires.. if they aren't trashed.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-13, 08:32 PM   #122
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: I bought me a GoPro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazel View Post
Nice! Any free tires are good tires.. if they aren't trashed.
Luckily they came off an audi so the wear is pretty even!

My most recent fix for my fuel leak didn't help, still smelled fumes every time I came to a stop...but I fixed it tonight! I was finally able to spot the leaky line under the manifold. All I had to do was pull the a/c compressor and voila, access to all clamps on that side. I still had to use vise grips on the threads of each clamp to tighten them since the screw heads were all pointing down and away. So I tightened them up, and cycled the pump many times and no more leaks I can finally stop worrying about exploding. I also found that my lower rad hose was leaking a little bit at the radiator and confirmed that my passenger side valve cover gasket needs replacement. Not sure I want to replace the gasket though as I enjoy the smoke show coming out of my hood scoop every time I come to a stop
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-28-13, 11:12 AM   #123
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Cracked oil pickup tube?

Well, I drove the car 460 miles in a 24 hour period and everything was dandy. However since it has been extremely cold my oil pressure has been a little odd. It used to be right around 95 psi at a cold idle, which I've read is right where it should be. Recently after the cold week we had it has been around 75-80 then would slowly rise to 90. Cruising on the highway at 3k its at 65ish, which seems low to me. Hot idle is around 35psi. Luckily (I guess) my radio died about 100 miles in to my journey so I could clearly hear the engine the whole time and I never had any out of the ordinary sounds. I started the car up today and immediately heard a very light ticking sound, hopefully valve train. My oil pressure was at 70, and I shut the car off within 5 seconds of starting it. Does this sound like a small crack in the pickup? Either way I'm ordering one from KillerB tonight, I just wanted some thoughts as to what it may be. Thanks!

Edit: I checked my oil before the 460 miles of driving and it was fine but I did not have time to check it today as I was late for work. Will update on that when I get home, but I'm confident my oil level is ok.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-13, 11:51 AM   #124
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road

Definitely do the Killer B pickup regardless. It is worth it for preventative reasons even if your stocker doesn't end up being bad.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-29-13, 11:05 AM   #125
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazel View Post
Definitely do the Killer B pickup regardless. It is worth it for preventative reasons even if your stocker doesn't end up being bad.
Yep, ordered it last night so hopefully it comes this week. I checked the oil level last night as well and it was at the low mark, but my driveway isn't flat so the ass end was lower than the front. Even at the low mark oil starvation shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking it's just a hairline crack in the pickup. Unfortunately the car is at my mom's house with zero tools. Fortunately I have triple A and free towing for the first 100 miles or something so getting it to my garage isn't a problem. I really don't want to drop 4k on an engine right now
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-29-13, 12:37 PM   #126
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

I feel ya on that one! I'm sure you know this but since you have mentioned oil level a couple times now, the oil level isn't going to tell you anything about the pickup tube. I assume you mention it as an indication (or lack) of bigger problems?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-29-13, 02:25 PM   #127
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah I just thought my oil may have been low cause of the sound it was making. If it were off-the-dipstick low I would have just added some and seen if it went away. Like you mentioned though, I think I'm better off with the pickup tube being slightly cracked, if indeed it is. If it had drank tons of oil out of nowhere I'd be quite concerned. Either way I was planning on getting the KillerB tube. Probably getting her towed to the garage tomorrow afternoon
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-01-13, 01:06 PM   #128
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I got the car over to my garage and put it up on the lift late last night and the KillerB pickup arrived as well. The oil was taking forever to drain since the car was sitting outside, so I just let it drain overnight. I'm going to attempt dropping the pan without lifting the engine first, cause the sway bar is right in the way of the motor mount nuts and they are rusted on there pretty bad. I'd normally just grab a couple reducers and swivels and take them off with my air gun, but my friends managed to break them earlier that night So I went to auto zone for some oil and a filter and came across a cheap set of swivels so I can at least try and drop the pan without buying more tools. The only places that carry rotella around here sell it by the gallon only, so I'm always forced to buy two gallons of the stuff Updates to come tonight, hopefully with a picture of a cracked pickup.

If everything goes well with the sti I'll be taking it up to a rallyx event at team O'Neil rally school on February 10th. Should be pretty sweet! Right now it looks like I'm going to miss the first SCCA autocross of the year, as I'll be in Hawaii. No complaints about that though! It doesn't look like I'll have my RPF1's until the end of April anyways.

Last edited by willub; 02-01-13 at 01:13 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-01-13, 02:39 PM   #129
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I got the car over to my garage and put it up on the lift late last night and the KillerB pickup arrived as well. The oil was taking forever to drain since the car was sitting outside, so I just let it drain overnight. I'm going to attempt dropping the pan without lifting the engine first, cause the sway bar is right in the way of the motor mount nuts and they are rusted on there pretty bad. I'd normally just grab a couple reducers and swivels and take them off with my air gun, but my friends managed to break them earlier that night So I went to auto zone for some oil and a filter and came across a cheap set of swivels so I can at least try and drop the pan without buying more tools. The only places that carry rotella around here sell it by the gallon only, so I'm always forced to buy two gallons of the stuff Updates to come tonight, hopefully with a picture of a cracked pickup.
Nice! I will add a +1 to Matt's comment though - a cracked pickup shouldn't cause oil *loss*. If you're oil level is low, perhaps something else is going on. Do you run an AOS or catch can? I can't remember. Check the TMIC and see if there's oil inside it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-01-13, 08:28 PM   #130
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I think you missed this post v and I checked my oil and it wasn't too low

Quote:
Yeah I just thought my oil may have been low cause of the sound it was making. If it were off-the-dipstick low I would have just added some and seen if it went away. Like you mentioned though, I think I'm better off with the pickup tube being slightly cracked, if indeed it is. If it had drank tons of oil out of nowhere I'd be quite concerned. Either way I was planning on getting the KillerB tube. Probably getting her towed to the garage tomorrow afternoon
I was using a catch can, and tried it for both the valve cover vents and PCV system separately with no luck catching any oil really so I pulled it out. My metal tube bolted to the IC is basically a catch can

On to my experience of dropping the oil pan. Many naughty words were said.

So far it's been a nightmare. It started out awful last night when I was draining the oil. My oil drain pan has a screen in it to catch debris and whatnot, so I just spin the drain plug out of the oil pan and let it fall in to the drain pan so I dont get covered in oil. After I had done that I did the same with the oil filter, but when the filter fell it somehow vibrated this screen loose and my drain plug is now at the bottom of my drain pan, which holds 8 gallons. Good start.

My car's mileage is showing now. First I tried getting to the back bolts without doing anything, wasn't gonna happen. So I had to loosen the motor mount nuts. This would have been easy if the stock sway was up front but the whiteline 24mm is just big enough so you cant get a straight shot at them. These things were encrusted on so I needed to move the bar. I unbolted the bar mounts and took off the mount and bushing which allowed enough movement so I could get the 1/2 inch drive socket and extension on and use the airgun. First nut, zzzzzzzzzzzzzing, completely rounded it off I moved the sway bar so that would NOT happen. So I went to the other one and it came off no problem. I lift the motor up from the manifold crosspipe more towards the side that was loose and got enough clearance to get to the back bolts. I immediately lost the 1/4 inch swivel I had just bought, so I was forced to use a 3/8 drive. It worked out ok and I got the bolts out. I hit the pan with a deadblow a couple times and it popped right off.

I lowered the car and removed the dipstick tube retaining bolt and attempted to pull the tube out. It was not moving at all, so I lifted the car back up and tried twisting it with some vice grips and it didnt even budge. Wat. I remember taking this thing out of another subaru and it took 5 seconds with no force. It took me an hour to get this thing out. I ended up clamping a pair of vice grips on to it (basically squeezing the tube shut) and sticking a huge screw driver up against those to bash it out with a hammer. It was slightly rusted in place.

Three frustrating hours after I started, the pickup is out.

This looks like it could be the start of a crack or a hairline crack that is expanding under stress, who knows.

Now I just need a dipstick tube, some o-rings and three bond.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement