GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 12-05-12, 07:27 PM   #101
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: AMR TMIC and SMY cluster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
That AMR looks great. Definitely hit up Bren if you're looking for a good tune. My car has been running awesome so far, and I'll definitely be going back in the future for any tuning needs.
Yeah I like the black. The previous owner told me I should clean it out since he blew his previous engine with it on there and was afraid something may have found it's way in. I shook it side to side and heard a rattle. tipped it and a dime sized piece of welding slag fell out from when a shop filled some holes to be used for meth injection Glad I checked! Also AMR paints the inside of the IC(whether on purpose or not I'm not sure since it isn't everywhere in there) and that paint is peeling off since there is oil in there. I'm not concerned about it destroying my engine but I'm trying to get as much as I can out right now. Glad to hear your car is still doing well.

Hopefully the AMR works well. I know it will outflow the stock IC but I'm not sure about efficiency. I've been reading that it looks similar to the ebay tmic's as far as fin density and stuff(although it is much heavier than the stocker). I think this calls for some super scientific testing I have an infrared temp gun somewhere that I can use to roughly see what the temperature of the metal is pre-intercooler and post-intercooler. This will give me a very rough efficiency. I'd rather have an air temp sensor before and after, but I dont feel like making it that complicated. This is my test plan, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

1. Warm the car up and cruise around town for a few minutes to rid any heat soak
2. Do 5 high boost pulls (I have the perfect road for this ) trying to keep them consistent
3. Pull in to my driveway, pop the hood and record pre-intercooler temp (on compressor housing) and post-intercooler temp on the outlet of the IC. Yes, I know this is not going to be super accurate
4. Repeat with the AMR

Quote:
AccessTuner Race is very nice. I only got a short chance to use it when I was running OTS maps back in the day, but I'd love to poke around now. Unfortunately (but probably fortunately) Bren locks all his maps as well. I have done MAF scaling myself on my old tune using open source and that wasn't too bad, but I would love how to fully tune as well.
Yeah I wish I had my stock turbo just to mess with it more easily without the fear of effing things up. Once I get my AP squared away I may try tuning it. If I do I'd get a wideband and a decent/cheap laptop. I've read that it's almost necessary to have a dyno to determine some things and get the most out of the car safely, so I'll tune it very conservatively. Then I'll take it to Bren and see how much more he can get out of it (provided I don't blow it up )

Quote:
KraigT has a lightly built motor similar to mine but with a Dom 1.5XTR 10cm. He made 373whp / 431wtq on Bren's tune.
I was thinking between 370-380 would be what I'd make on his dyno but seeing that guy's list of mods compared to mine I'm guessing I'll make 360ish. I'm keeping my stock intake box for now, just got the cobb aftermaf hose so I can at least cut it to fit unlike the stock one.

On to another subject to make this post even longer, I'm ordering some prosport gauges for my SMY cluster. I decided not to go with the Defi's since I can get two prosport's for the price of one defi.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-12, 07:31 PM   #102
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: AMR TMIC and SMY cluster!

AMR installed! It was not fun stuffing this thing in, mainly because I ordered the wrong size coupler for it On AMR's site it says the stock outlet size is 2.5 inches, and theirs is 3. So knowing the throttle body is the same size as the stock IC outlet I ordered a 3 inch to 2.5 inch coupler. Balls. The throttle body and stock IC outlet are 2.75ish inches. For now I shoved the stock coupler on there. The fit is decent, the passenger side mount needs to be raised up about a quarter of an inch for it to mount there. The hood scoop rubber under the hood is pretty much crushed since the AMR sits a little higher, I may leave it or cut some off but it's not a big deal. You can see the line on the IC where it rubs

Ok so I kinda lied when I said I wasn't gonna go with Defi's I've been reading some not so awesome reviews on the Prosports and after watching some videos I can't stand all of the sounds they make. Even the electric motor sound when the gauges sweep was irritating me just from watching a video of them. Early christmas present to me!

I also got my AP to work one more time. Did a long 4th gear pull (this was with the stock top mount) while logging and everything looks great. The only thing is that my short term fuel trim is going wacky when I cruise. My AFR is always around 14.7 but my corrections vary anywhere from -19% to +19% and my long term is something like +6%. I guess I need to do a boost leak check before I get er tuned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 03:53 AM   #103
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: AMR TMIC installed!

https://www.youtube.com/v/agySsbSmSmo&sns=em
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-12, 05:56 PM   #104
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: Defi gauges installed

Bought myself a GoPro Hero 3 black edition yesterday

Here's a test run in 1080p 60fps. I had it mounted on the window with a suction cup which is probably why the audio is so weird. I'm gonna have some fun in this virgin parking lot tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/v/5kWXLDsHmNM

I wish I had it before the snow we recently got, woulda been an interesting video that night driving around in the storm

Now I just need to figure out the best way to render the videos
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 07:00 PM   #105
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Bought myself a GoPro Hero 3 black edition yesterday

Here's a test run in 1080p 60fps. I had it mounted on the window with a suction cup which is probably why the audio is so weird. I'm gonna have some fun in this virgin parking lot tomorrow

movie

I wish I had it before the snow we recently got, woulda been an interesting video that night driving around in the storm

Now I just need to figure out the best way to render the videos
Awesome! Now you can record all of your autocross runs. Are you on Mac or Windows?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 07:26 PM   #106
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Awesome! Now you can record all of your autocross runs. Are you on Mac or Windows?
Windows 7. I have vegas 8.0 which I used for this video. Any advice on getting the most out of this thing would be great I rendered in 1920x1080 or whatever the normal 1080p res is. I just watch these other videos people have and the quality is crazy good compared to mine, not that it's bad, but it can get better
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 07:36 PM   #107
czecho
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: Dark Gray 2009 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

czecho is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm waiting to test my gopro black edition. To see the quality as well. Did you update your gopro? And also make sure that protune is enabled?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 07:54 PM   #108
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: I bought me a GoPro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czecho View Post
I'm waiting to test my gopro black edition. To see the quality as well. Did you update your gopro? And also make sure that protune is enabled?

Nope! Didn't do either of those, thanks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 07:57 PM   #109
czecho
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: Dark Gray 2009 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

czecho is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nope! Didn't do either of those, thanks.
Try and make the same video now that you posted with the 2 things done

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-12, 08:23 PM   #110
Acejam2k

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Windows 7. I have vegas 8.0 which I used for this video. Any advice on getting the most out of this thing would be great I rendered in 1920x1080 or whatever the normal 1080p res is. I just watch these other videos people have and the quality is crazy good compared to mine, not that it's bad, but it can get better
I haven't used Vegas before, but all I can say is to ensure that the frame size is 1920x1080, and the frame rate is @ 60fps. It's possible to import a GoPro video clip into a lower-res profile/template in a rendering program, so be careful what the output file is rendered to. Though YouTube picked up that video as 1080p, so you've probably done it correct so far. I will say that dark scenes with my GoPro aren't the best, so it's possible you won't get optimal quality/sharpness when it's dark out.

Maybe check this out? Sony Vegas | Rendering in 1080p for YouTube HD (all versions) - YouTube

I also record and render all of my videos in the highest quality possible. For me, that is 1080p/30fps. You can always downgrade it later on, but upgrading/upscaling doesn't come out very good.

Last edited by Acejam2k; 12-31-12 at 08:28 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement