GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

Old 10-25-12, 08:59 PM   #91
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: RCE Blacks installed!

Tested out the RCE blacks last sunday at the final NER SCCA event and they feel pretty good. I wish they were a little stiffer but oh well, they're great for a DD car such as mine. My tires seem to be the limiting factor right now as far as grip is concerned (my driving can obviously get better). The blacks made the car a little looser in the rear, which took a few runs to get used to but is a nice feeling since most stock sti's just plow. The ride quality is a negligible difference, it feels stock although it may differ for owners with stock struts and sway bars.

This last event of the year was just a fun non-points event where four drivers teamed up to try and get first place in their respective classes and can also get prizes for uniforms and stuff. Out of a possible 36 points I believe we scored 3, LOL. The team was me, my friend co-driving my car, Matt(mickle on IWSTI) and his girlfriend. Unfortunately Matt and his girlfriend had to co-drive her 07 Limited STi since Matt's engine decided to quit a day prior to the event. The classes ended up being totally fucked due to not enough cars being in a particular class or people just changing their mind last minute. I'll skip all of that stuff since it's somewhat complicated and boring to the average reader . We basically got effed out of any possible contention for points. We were one of the only teams to end up wearing a uniform so we got second place in that category. I ended up with a Hostess Jumbo Honeybun and an SCCA magnet at the end of the day. Obviously well worth it. I ate the shit out of that honeybun this morning.

Plans for next year include;

Buying new DD summer tires.

Enkei RPF01 17x8.5 +40mm with 245 slicks for autocross. I'd do 275's but they require coilovers(if I were to run a 9+ inch wheel) and other mods. I plan on keeping the RCE blacks for now.

Fixing all of my current rust including sub-frame/radiator support, gas filler area, trunk lid under the wing and other semi-rusty areas.

I've had a broken sub-frame bolt since I bought the car. It's probably gonna be a bitch to get it out, but I might as well try and replace it.

Find a solution to keep the TMIC relatively cool. I'm thinking a massive custom heat shield is in order if I feel so inspired to do so.

Me and my friend who co-drives with me were talking and I mentioned purchasing a dyno. This led to talking about opening a shop and other things, which I have an ideal setup for. Obviously I have to know what the fuck I'm doing first as far as tuning a Subaru goes. I've self-tuned rx7's but that is quite simple. Right now I'm considering selling my motorcycle just to have money in the bank for a short block, just in case. If that does happen I plan on trying to tune my car after doing some serious research. I'm quite confident I can pull it off, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by willub; 10-26-12 at 07:08 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-12, 04:42 AM   #92
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
. Obviously well worth it. I ate the shit out of that honeybun this morning.
Hells yeah, I had mine the other day. Delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Me and my friend who co-drives with me were talking and I mentioned purchasing a dyno. This led to talking about opening a shop and other things, which I have an ideal setup for.
Damn, that would be sweet!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-12, 07:23 AM   #93
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickle View Post
Damn, that would be sweet!
It will happen some day, hopefully soon!

Other things I plan on getting now that I think about it include a KillerB oil pick up and a wideband. I ordered an SMY cluster a little while back as well when he had none in stock. The new shipment should arrive sometime this week So i'll need to order some gauges. I'm also considering a complete brake job soon even though my pads have some decent amount of life left in them. I have a gouge in my drivers side front rotor that actually concerns me as far as it's integrity goes. I dont want that thing cracking and flying apart destroying my wheel or caliper. These HPS pads the previous owner installed really fudged my rotors over. I'll take a picture of said gouge when I swap my winter wheels on since its on the inside of the rotor. So rotors and pads will chew up ~700 dollars of my budget

The clutch in my friends 97 legacy completely shit the bed the other day so I'll probably be doing that for most of tomorrow. It has 270k miles on it now, should be fun

Last edited by willub; 10-27-12 at 10:26 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-12, 11:09 AM   #94
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: RCE Blacks installed and tested!

The STi is back in winter mode. Here's the rotor I was talking about with the gouge. It looks a lot less severe now that more rotor material is missing around it.

I doubt it will crack, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

In other news, hurricane sandy was a bitch. I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. After work I went to my mom's place which didnt have power, picked up some stuff and left five minutes later going back the same way. About a half mile down the road I saw a car parked on my side of the road it seemed. It was pitch black out and they had their lights on so I couldn't see anything. I slowed down to a crawl to see what was up and even going that slow I almost ran in to a 40 foot pine tree lying across the road LOL. At that point I was pissed that this guy was blinding me still(he was pulled over off to the side of the road). Once I stopped I saw him back up a little as if he was gonna let me get by the tree so I just turned around and took the back roads, which were a shitshow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-01-12, 07:51 AM   #95
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

This is what happened almost exactly a year ago. Back to back halloween storms!

The person in the Toyota Matrix was quite puzzled on what to do

https://www.youtube.com/v/r_plh3NAXz0&feature=plcp

The music is the best of the best from youtube's selection list
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-06-12, 07:26 AM   #96
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I went to log today with my AP and I'm having an issue. The AP starts up when I plug it in like normal, but when I try and go in to the monitors or anything it says it isn't connected or the cable is mis-configured. All of the pins look fine. I just updated the firmware on the AP but I'm positive I used it right after and it worked fine. Anyone else have this problem? I'll look in to it tonight and hopefully it's just a software glitch

Another Subaru dissection. 97 Legacy Brighton 2.2 with 271k miles on it. Actually had no problems tearing it apart

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-20-12, 12:49 PM   #97
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Got the sti all paid off the other day. Finally free of payments!

My SMY cluster should be arriving shortly. Their warehouse got slammed by hurricane sandy. I guess i'll finally fork over some money for gauges. I'll also be adding some other things in the engine bay soon, possibly followed by a new tune depending on when/what I decide on.

I pulled another friend in to the Subaru world. He's picking up an 07 wrx wagon with 49k on it for 10k. It's all stock, the only hitch is that the guy hit a deer and had the front end repaired. The alignment for the front bumper is slightly off in places and you can see where they simply bent back the radiator support. He's getting the guy to confirm the front end is square and what not so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-28-12, 10:12 PM   #98
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: New stuff!

Got some new goodies

New to me AMR top mount thanks to chrispsti for the sweet deal!

Installed the SMY cluster even though I don't have gauges yet This is one quality piece.

Now I just need an intake, since my stock box is being crammed under the hood. I'll probably go with the Cobb SF with the box. I have a v1 AP and I know Cobb credits you 200 dollars if you send it to them. I'm assuming that's only towards a v2 AP, but maybe not and I could get 200 bucks off the intake? I'll find out once I email them.

I've also been doing quite a bit of reading on tuning with accesstuner race and have it downloaded to my PC. I'm seriously considering self-tuning my car. The only thing that sucks is that my current map from EFI is locked so I can't easily adjust fueling, MAF scaling or boost if I were to slap my new intercooler on along with the intake. I haven't checked to see if I can open the map in accesstuner just to see what the values are, but I'm guessing I can't even do that let alone edit them.

I've been having issues with my AP not being able to connect (it connects to my PC just fine) so I took the "dongle" apart and jiggled everything around. It actually fixed it!... for one data log LOL, then it couldn't connect again. I'll ask cobb about this issue as well when I email them. The one time I got it to connect I was getting a decent amount of positive A/F correction at idle (didn't have time to drive it and then it wouldn't connect again) so I may have to trace a small vac leak down first.

If I chicken out on tuning it I'll probably bring it to Bren Tuning. I don't have time to bring it down to EFI anymore as I only get Sundays off. I've heard nothing but good things about Bren Tuning anyways so why not give him a shot, especially since he's a 30 minute drive from me.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-01-12, 08:10 AM   #99
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: AMR TMIC and SMY cluster!

Did a test fit with the AMR last night and everything is good. When I pulled the stock IC off I noticed a little yellow sludgy residue inside the valve cover vent tube bolted to the IC. I know a little bit is normal but this was RIDICULOUS lol. I dug out all I could see with a screwdriver and then attempted to blow through it. Nope. This stuff was like a very soft earwax. I sprayed some starter fluid in there and blew it out with my air compressor. I'm guessing it's been slowly building up since it's gotten colder out. Hot air with some oil in suspension meeting the very cold metal tube = condensed earwax.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-05-12, 09:55 AM   #100
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Willub's 04 STi: AMR TMIC and SMY cluster!

That AMR looks great. Definitely hit up Bren if you're looking for a good tune. My car has been running awesome so far, and I'll definitely be going back in the future for any tuning needs.

AccessTuner Race is very nice. I only got a short chance to use it when I was running OTS maps back in the day, but I'd love to poke around now. Unfortunately (but probably fortunately) Bren locks all his maps as well. I have done MAF scaling myself on my old tune using open source and that wasn't too bad, but I would love how to fully tune as well.

KraigT has a lightly built motor similar to mine but with a Dom 1.5XTR 10cm. He made 373whp / 431wtq on Bren's tune.

https://www.youtube.com/v/M0OM4flbTss
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement