IW STi Forum banner

yamahaSHO's Street Car - Random updates... :p

377K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  yamahaSHO 
#1 · (Edited)
HTML:
Here is my oh-so-common 2005 WRB STi :)

I purchased this car in June of 2009 w/ 25k miles from a guy in Ames, IA. The car had never seen winter and was extremely clean. As much as I tried to stray away from a previously modded STi, I couldn't resist this one even though it had a few mods. The mods that were already on the car were:

• COBB catless TBE
  • SPT short ram intake
  • COBB springs
  • COBB sway bars
  • Rear strut tower brace (hadn't looked to find the maker)
Since purchasing the vehicle, I have removed the SPT intake and installed a stock intake/air box. The car had an unknown tune (supposedly tuned), but I picked up an AccessPort v2 immediatly and flashed it to stage 2, 91 octane. The car has run great and is a blast to drive, however, it really leaves me wanting more on the top-end. Because of this I have some plans for the car... I've only put about 3k miles on the car in the time I've had it :)

So, onto my near-future mods.... I have just recently purchased:

• Blouch 20G/TD05H/8cm
  • KW v1 (to replace the COBB springs)
  • Moroso steel oil pan/pickup tube
  • Ebay pink H-brace
  • Ebay V-limited lip
I will be converting the car to E85, so I still have to pick up some 850cc injectors and a fuel pump. I will eventually PnP and coat the exhaust manifold, ceramic or swaintech coat the DP. I have been looking pretty hard at the Process West TMIC.

This is mostly a street car, but will see some track time (1/8, 1/4 and eventually road course after an oil cooler), but 95% will be street time. I will also be tuning the car myself with the AccessTuner Race software. I've been glued to tuning research on these cars as I'm not too keen on blowing a motor. I've been tuning Fords for close to a decade, so I don't consider myself to be starting at square one.

On to some pictures!

And a picture of both of the winter sleepers :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
yamahaSHO's.... About time I start working on this piece!

CURRENT PROGRESS

ENGINE/INTAKE/FUEL/EXHAUST/MANAGEMENT
- COBB catless TBE (Ceramic Coated DP)
- Grimmspeed 38mm EWG UP w/TiAL EWG
- Blouch 20G/TD05H/8cm (Swain Tech Coated hot side)

DRIVETRAIN

SUSPENSION/BRACES/BRAKES
- KW v1 Coilovers w/ Group-N front mounts
- Whiteline Roll Center/Bump Steer correction kit
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- MSI ALK
- COBB sway bars powder coated pink
- COBB Adjustable sway bar mounts
- COBB Rear strut tower brace
- StopTech Street Performance pads (F/R)
- OSWALD PERFORMANCE "Triangle Brace"
- ebay pink H-brace

INTERIOR

- Pioneer AppRadio
- ATI Triple Gauge Pod
- PLX Devices WBO2 w/ DM-100
- ProSport Boost and Voltage gauges

MISC

- McGard GOLD spline lug nuts
- Debadged
- OSWALD PERFORMANCE front bumper beam
- eBay V-limited lip

Parts sitting on the work bench:

- T1 top feed conversion w/ ID1000 injectors
- Invidia Equal Length Headers - Swain Tech coated.
- KillerB Pickup Tube
- TiC Klunk Killer - Comfort
- TiC 04-05 STi Bodacious Bushing Bundle
- TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings

MY REVIEWS/NOTES:

KW v1 Coilovers w/ Group-N front mounts
It almost goes without saying, but these a quality pieces. The build quality is up to my standards, which for those that know me, I'm pretty anal. For the most part, these are a straight swap for the stock suspension. Before starting the task of installing them, I ordered new tophats, conical washers and all the misc replacment nuts and bolts I felt like replacing while I had it all apart.

One thing to note, the stock coilovers do not require the rubber (that is attached) to the rear tophats. I ordered Group-N tophats and the rears turned out to be a waste of money as you have to take off the rubber anyway (reading directions > me). The rears use a progressive spring, so without the rubber isolation, they're too stiff initiall (it's all relative). For the fronts, I installed the conical washer and Group-N mount and went to town. As said above, it's just a swap once that's all done.

Coming from the COBB springs that I purchased already on the car, these things are GREAT. They're firm, of course, but when hitting larger bumps (again, relative), the car does not get jar'd like the dash wants to punch me in the face. So far, with the limited time I've had with them, they keep the tires right were they need to be. For a street setup that wants to drop the car a bit and still retain strut travel, these are great coilovers. I don't drive the car in the winter, so I won't see any corrosion, but I would imagine that these would hold up very well judging by the build quality.

I went with the Group-N mounts because when being honest with myself... I take this to the track a few times a year, but it's a street car that gets driven on nice days. I didn't need the extra cost and harshness, so I put that money elsewhere. This is also the idea behind me getting the v1's as opposed to the v3's.

Whiteline Roll Center/Bump Steer correction kit
I can't really comment on these. The fitment was perfect and they haven't torn apart or slipped out. The car doesn't feel any different, but I've yet to push them to that point yet. Will review further.

Whiteline steering rack bushings
After pulling out the stock bushings, I can't say I'd do this mod again. Apparently these are a vast improvement on 2004 STi's, but there is VERY LITTLE rubber on the stock driver's side mount for the 2005+. I can't really asy there is any improvement aside from the underside of my car looking more flashy.

The install was pretty easy as it came with a tool to pull the old bushings out. I made a mark on the steering shaft to put it all back together the way it was. These bolts made me stop using my torque wrenches again. I couldn't get them torqued to "spec" and I was worried about stripping them. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TIGHTENING THESE BY HAND.

MSI ALK
They're noisy. I should have taken them apart and lubed them up before install. I'll do that eventually.

COBB sway bars
I bought the car with these already installed, so I cannot compare to a stock setup. What I can add is that before adding the adjustable brackets, I was able to flip the rear sway bar over with the car jacked in the rear. Now that I am able to adjust the mounting points, the bar fits very well. The quality is very good and they look good PINK!

COBB Adjustable rear sway bar mounts/brackets
As stated with the sway bar notes, this has made the rear COBB bar a perfect fitment. My enlinks now stand verticle and I am unable to flip the rear bar with my hand with the car jacked in the air/suspension unloaded. Since installing these and the Kart Boy endlinks, my bar no longer walks over to the driver's side of the car.

COBB Rear strut tower brace
I bought the car with this already installed. The buddy I sold it to says he can feel that the bar stiffened up the rear of the car, but I noticed lots of creaking in the rear and upgraded to an Oswald Performance "Triangle" brace. The build of the COBB bar looked great. The diameter of the bar is MASSIVE, but it is also a hollow aluminum bar.

StopTech Street Performance pads (F/R)
For a street pad with some good bite (READ: better than stock), these are great options. I was very concerned about picking the right pad. I love 'bite'. I love getting on the brakes and being amazed by the negative g-forces.

AFTER bedding these pads in on a stock rotor that had been turned, they have all the bite I could ever ask for on the street. They do take a little heat, but that is maintained after a stop or two. These have not made ANY noise and have shown much less dust than the stockers. In fact, my rear brakes still have the stock pads and me rear wheels are always the dirty ones, not the front. I'd definitely recommend giving these a go if you're looking for great stopping power on the street, quiet operation and less brake dust (all relative to stock).

OSWALD PERFORMANCE "Triangle Brace"
As noted in the strut tower notes, I had LOTS of creaking in the rear of the car when took a spin without the back seats. Not only could I not stand the sounds, but the throught of the car flexing so much made me uneasy.

The install was very easy aside from some tight spaces. Everything is 'bolt-on', so no modification is required. Pretty much no trunk space is compromised, so there's really no reason to get a rear strut bar over this... The price difference is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

This brace cleared up ALL of my rear creaks immediately. The car feels 'more together' back in the rear allowing the suspension do what it was designed to do. I haven't been able to really push the car yet with this brace, so I'll follow up later about real performance.

McGard GOLD spline lug nuts
These things look good and I haven't been able to scratch them yet. I prefer the style over the stock chrome lug nuts and I wanted to get rid of the factory keyed lock. They have a separate shank that allows the lugnut to spin without rubbing on the wheels itself.

As a note, the spline socket provided requires a 22mm socket to use. If you're worried about getting a flat, make sure you carry some extra tools. Also, do not use an impact with their spline socket.

OSWALD PERFORMANCE front bumper beam
The weight difference between this and the stock bumper is roughly 22lbs. I was looking for a way to lighten the car without loosing any functionality and appear 'stock'. Fitment was spot on. My bumper almost centered itself and all the stock parts snapped right on/over this bumper. I haven't pushed the car hard enough to notice any real difference, but I'm sure removing that much weight so far forwad in the car isn't going to make it worse.

Just like anything from Oswald Performance, the quality is top notch. I plan to purchase the rear bumper beam from them as well.

#5 ·
Re: yamahaSHO's street build!

I'm actually not sure on the tint as it was already installed (okay, I missed a 'mod'). I might have paperwork for it as the car came with as much as it can for a 25k mile car. It even came with all the original brochures and such.

#10 ·
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *Ain't those new parts purrdy?

Let me know what kind of AFR's you are seeing on the COBB stg 2 91 map. I'm on the same map and catless as well, but I see AFR's below 10.0 when I go WOT, and I really dont like it.

Thanks!

And let me know what kind of pictures you want of the PLX guage. I'll get them over to you.

#12 ·

Let me know what kind of AFR's you are seeing on the COBB stg 2 91 map. I'm on the same map and catless as well, but I see AFR's below 10.0 when I go WOT, and I really dont like it.

Thanks!

And let me know what kind of pictures you want of the PLX guage. I'll get them over to you.
I don't have a WBO2 yet, but I think the AP reported 11ish. I'll pick up a WB soon as I need it before injectors. I was just curious to see the mounting on yours if you have more pics.
Its depressing seeing your 20g and KW v1's in their boxes. I myself have no room to talk lol. After you decide on your Process West TM, let me know, I want to see this thing up close. I can help you with your turbo install; seen one & been around one.

Let me know when would be a good time to stop by this week.
I only work Wednesday this week and next. I'm not ready to install yet, but you're welcome to come hang out.

#11 ·

Its depressing seeing your 20g and KW v1's in their boxes. I myself have no room to talk lol. After you decide on your Process West TM, let me know, I want to see this thing up close. I can help you with your turbo install; seen one & been around one.

Let me know when would be a good time to stop by this week.

#14 · (Edited)

Went to the local track today (Mid-America Motorplex - Iowa) and didn't too bad. I made two runs that night and hung out for the rest of the night. This was the first time launching this car and I was taking it easy as I'm still fairly new to it (just hit 3k miles since I bought it). I did get to race a $95,000 car and well, you'll see the video. It turns out to be the car that always parks next to me on base

This is only an 1/8 mile track. :( (roughly 1,000 ft above sea level)

First run:

R/T: .265
60' : 2.164
330: 5.963
1/8: 9.038
MPH: 80.02

Second run:

R/T: .426
60' : 2.095
330: 5.825
1/8: 8.870
MPH: 80.63

Current mods are COBB TBE, COBB OTS tune w/o launch control. EDIT: After looking at others slips, there is definitely a better launch to be had with this car.

My SHO ran the 1/8-mile in 9.6 @ 80mph at Bandimere Raceway (5,800 ft above sea level). Unknown to me at the time, it had and electrical issue and no functioning secondaries, which means NO low end and completely spinning after 4k RPM through 2 gears. Means nothing to you guys, but I do like to compare the two cars since I've got a lot of time into it.

#16 ·

What did you run in the 1/4 at Bandi with your SHO?
Spinning in two gears... My best was 14.4 @ 110 mph (still in 3rd gear). I never got a chance to work out the issues before moving and I was hesitant after snapping an axle on my first run... as seen/heard in this first video, on the first run (the turbo SHO next to me was smoking his clutch).

And the following week:

#17 ·

I don't blame you for being hesitant after you broke. It sucks running 14's with a trap speed of 110 huh.:lol: I know the feeling, when I had my supercharged C5 I had multiple runs of very low 13's between 118-124 mph.:p Pretty frustrating.

#18 ·

Yeah, it sucks bawlz. I had to drive across Denver to a NAPA that had an axle in stock, picked it up, drove back, installed, and then ran a couple more times that day :)

My buddy Pat (has the white SC SHO and Dinan BMW in the vids) has another SC SHO that was running low 13's at 116+ and he was always scared of breaking. We both were road course guys which is much easier on the transmission, but HELL on the motor.

#19 ·

Yeah, it sucks bawlz. I had to drive across Denver to a NAPA that had an axle in stock, picked it up, drove back, installed, and then ran a couple more times that day :)

My buddy Pat (has the white SC SHO and Dinan BMW in the vids) has another SC SHO that was running low 13's at 116+ and he was always scared of breaking. We both were road course guys which is much easier on the transmission, but HELL on the motor.
If I was FWD I would rather race on a road course compared to the 1/4. You don't really have to go from a dig so makes life a bit easier. I was never scared of breaking anything in my 'Vette, I'm just a crappy driver. :lol:

#21 ·
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *Hit the track last night - video!

After much thought, I think I've finally decided on the injectors and will order soon. I don't want to be completely limited by injector size, so I will will likely get the Titan/T1 setup with Bosch 1000cc injectors as it is a bolt-on setup and I've heard great things about these injectors. I'll have to run my own lines under the hood, but that shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.maperformance.com/products/t1_IDx-WRX-SFC.jpg

#22 ·

After much thought, I think I've finally decided on the injectors and will order soon. I don't want to be completely limited by injector size, so I will will likely get the Titan/T1 setup with Bosch 1000cc injectors as it is a bolt-on setup and I've heard great things about these injectors. I'll have to run my own lines under the hood, but that shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.maperformance.com/products/t1_IDx-WRX-SFC.jpg
:eek: That can only mean BIG POWER!

#28 ·

Had some time today and decided to clean the interior for the first time since I bought the car last year. I also installed a new stereo as I wanted more options for music than CD's.

I also picked up some floor mats and a trunk mat last year and put them in after cleaning the car.

I will be Plasti-Dipping my center console soon as well as install the red hazard button.

Now I need to clean the exterior!

#31 ·
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *Installed DVD player and some other junk

I just placed an order for the T1, 1000cc injector conversion kit. Too many guys around here running E85 and it's tempting me to hurry my arse up.

I bought the Group-N mounts for my KW's and aparently you remove the rubber for the rears. With that said, I have some brand new Group-N rubber for the rear strut mount available.

Damn they already came out with the 4700 eh? Nice choice.
I think I got the 4200. It's pretty nice.... But there are some things I would like to be different about it. I can't complain as it was like $300. I also got the wiring harness to allow video viewing without the e-brake on. I've yet to actually watch anything outside of testing.