IW STi Forum banner

yamahaSHO's Street Car - Random updates... :p

378K views 2K replies 136 participants last post by  yamahaSHO 
#1 · (Edited)
HTML:
Here is my oh-so-common 2005 WRB STi :)

I purchased this car in June of 2009 w/ 25k miles from a guy in Ames, IA. The car had never seen winter and was extremely clean. As much as I tried to stray away from a previously modded STi, I couldn't resist this one even though it had a few mods. The mods that were already on the car were:

• COBB catless TBE
  • SPT short ram intake
  • COBB springs
  • COBB sway bars
  • Rear strut tower brace (hadn't looked to find the maker)
Since purchasing the vehicle, I have removed the SPT intake and installed a stock intake/air box. The car had an unknown tune (supposedly tuned), but I picked up an AccessPort v2 immediatly and flashed it to stage 2, 91 octane. The car has run great and is a blast to drive, however, it really leaves me wanting more on the top-end. Because of this I have some plans for the car... I've only put about 3k miles on the car in the time I've had it :)

So, onto my near-future mods.... I have just recently purchased:

• Blouch 20G/TD05H/8cm
  • KW v1 (to replace the COBB springs)
  • Moroso steel oil pan/pickup tube
  • Ebay pink H-brace
  • Ebay V-limited lip
I will be converting the car to E85, so I still have to pick up some 850cc injectors and a fuel pump. I will eventually PnP and coat the exhaust manifold, ceramic or swaintech coat the DP. I have been looking pretty hard at the Process West TMIC.

This is mostly a street car, but will see some track time (1/8, 1/4 and eventually road course after an oil cooler), but 95% will be street time. I will also be tuning the car myself with the AccessTuner Race software. I've been glued to tuning research on these cars as I'm not too keen on blowing a motor. I've been tuning Fords for close to a decade, so I don't consider myself to be starting at square one.

On to some pictures!

And a picture of both of the winter sleepers :)

Attachments

See less See more
#474 ·
Re: yamahaSHO - Motor is starting to look like a Subaru mess. :)

I am also already signed off on that track, so they may allow me to take a passenger at this event. They didn't let anyone take passengers last year, however, it was the first time they had done that event.

Currently, I'm trying to work out my brake bias. I might need to take the car out tomorrow to do some testing. My car may be a little more front bias than I'd like (73.6%/26.4%). I did my bedding in on some back roads where ever poured slab is a bump-transition causing the fronts to ABS just touching the pedal. I can say that the new brakes will overwhelm the tires very easily.

#476 ·

I am also already signed off on that track, so they may allow me to take a passenger at this event. They didn't let anyone take passengers last year, however, it was the first time they had done that event.

Currently, I'm trying to work out my brake bias. I might need to take the car out tomorrow to do some testing. My car may be a little more front bias than I'd like (73.6%/26.4%). I did my bedding in on some back roads where ever poured slab is a bump-transition causing the fronts to ABS just touching the pedal. I can say that the new brakes will overwhelm the tires very easily.
Well that's a perk! I think I may take a half day or something from work on the 24th to come watch, it's been a while since I've been down there.

Interesting percentage there, do you have a brake controller installed? Those Wilwoods are pretty nice for sure...what tires are on it? Or are you running the Enkei/Dunlop setup for the track?

#480 ·

Half day taken! See you there....I should be out there some time after 1pm.

I was just curious how you got the bias percentages that you stated, they are very precise. A more aggressive pad will increase rotor temps and possibly make the rear bite harder(maybe the rear coming out on you), no?

Yeah I was wondering what you had on the TSWs. Where are those bushings going on the car? How do you like the new Z2s? I haven't really had a reason to move from my Bridgestones yet since they have plenty of life left....but I've read good things about the Z2s.

#481 ·

Half day taken! See you there....I should be out there some time after 1pm.
Hopefully the weather holds out.

I was just curious how you got the bias percentages that you stated, they are very precise. A more aggressive pad will increase rotor temps and possibly make the rear bite harder(maybe the rear coming out on you), no?
Here is how I calculated bias: Bias Calculator

I currently have the Wilwood PolyMatrix "B" pads all around. They're extremely aggressive as is. I'm not so much worried about heat out back. I've increased the rotor sized, made the rotor 2-piece, and this rotor is vented. In addition, more aggressive pads REQUIRE more heat to work properly and not chew up rotors. The fronts will have cooling ducts by this event. Currently, driving on the street with these pads is a bit of a pain. When they decide to bite, they REALLY bite.

Yeah I was wondering what you had on the TSWs. Where are those bushings going on the car? How do you like the new Z2s? I haven't really had a reason to move from my Bridgestones yet since they have plenty of life left....but I've read good things about the Z2s.
I'm told the bushings are supposed to be back from the machine shop in about a week, so they won't be on. Because of this and the sway bar delay, I will be on my old wheels/tires.

#484 · (Edited)

Well... It's about that time I start back up on the motor. With a track event last weekend, and one I was supposed to be at right now, the STi took a back seat to get the S2000 ready. I am missing the event in Topeka now because my wife had an uncle pass away and thinks I need to be there (her and I will talk about that one later). I plan to finish up the motor this coming week as I pretty much have everything. I did have to buy some special tools and such, but I bought universal kits so that I could use them on everything and the price was the same for a Subaru special part... Just one (IE: cam/crank seal installer).

Anyway, I got my new plate in.

And the S2000 from this past weekend... It'll be the last event on these wheels and tires. :)

Filling up the corn.

Here are a couple of the things I had to do to get the car ready. I already had an oil cooler installed, but I didn't think it was making use of the air effectively, so I ducted it in.

And I cut the inserts out of the bumper and installed some WASP cooling ducts.

Forgot to take a picture of what's behind the brakes (hose and heat insulation/reflection).

#485 ·

After a long work week (been working since last Monday), I'm going to make some time to finish this motor and get it in the car. My mind has been wandering though... Once it's together, tuned touched up, and detailed, the car may be going on the market. I've been interested in some 2005 Porsche 911's and I'm having a hard time convincing myself not get one. :)

#487 ·

After a long work week (been working since last Monday), I'm going to make some time to finish this motor and get it in the car. My mind has been wandering though... Once it's together, tuned touched up, and detailed, the car may be going on the market. I've been interested in some 2005 Porsche 911's and I'm having a hard time convincing myself not get one. :)
GT3s? A nice track prepped one generally has spares, only thing that goes wrong is the damn water pump outlet.

a friend has one out in Ohio, he loves it.

#486 ·

Exactly....

#489 ·

Not a GT3. More a long the lines of a Carrera Coupe. I don't owe anything on the STi, so I'm not wanting to come out of pocket too much.
Track car or just fun car?

#491 ·

I already have a track car. This would be an STi replacement (road car).
I like it. Feels like the right progression. More cylinders, more sophistication, still boxer. :D

#494 · (Edited)

Although my car has been solid, aside from pushing coolant, I just want something more 'simple' and maybe... More mature? The sad part is, I maybe put 8k miles on this since ownership 5 years ago (it currently has 34k miles!). It's extremely clean, well built, with higher-end desirable mods. Hopefully I can get what it's really worth. I don't have to sell and it's not a car payment, so I can wait it out.

This is what I'm looking at:

Who knows, I may change my mind once I get it going again... It is a pretty sweet car. :)

#496 ·

I'd look for a cheap AP1 S2000 before a Miata. The S2000 is slow... The Miata is walking pace.

I've also been thinking about new M3's for a replacement in addition to a 911. I will probably sit on this decision until the end of the year. I would like to at least enjoy some of the work I've put into this car.

#498 ·

I was looking at the E9x M3's. My buddy had one and I liked driving it. He said he recent drive the dual-clutch model and loved it even more. He also has like 3 M3's right now.

I do need to stay off Auto Trader... I started looking at 996 Turbo's... :)

#500 ·

I've purchased almost all my cars off of AutoTrader. It's been pretty good to me.

I like the E46, but I'm just wanting something newer, or more exotic (Supercar). We'll see what I do. I just told one of my friends that is really interested in the car what price I would need to get to let it go.

#501 ·

I like the E46, but I'm just wanting something newer, or more exotic (Supercar).
Totally understandable. Sometimes I ride around in some friends' newer cars and think to myself, maybe I should've gone after a newer STi or something. It's arguably true that a particular model gets better each year. An E9x or 996/7 would definitely fit the bill.

We'll see what I do. I just told one of my friends that is really interested in the car what price I would need to get to let it go.
Something tells me it will be a bit higher than average. :D

#505 ·

It's black and had too many miles... The current contender us a 2002 911 turbo with 32k miles.
Gotcha. I'd love a 911 turbo, but that's nowhere in my budget. :lol:

Two things I told myself when looking for a DD replacement for the Accord (in freakin' SE TX): Not a black exterior, and not a tan interior. I failed on both accounts. :lol:

#504 · (Edited)

Meanwhile... I just need to pick up a Dremel bit to hold my polishing drum to polish the injector ports on the TGV's to make them mirror smooth again since getting powder coated and I can put the intake on. Last week, I thought I ordered the fittings and hose to put the return line on my turbo, however, apparently I never finalized my order. After a week of not receiving anything, I check my e-mail and didn't find any order. I placed the order last night. I can't fully bolt on the turbo until then as I will be some fitting I'll have to play with.

The adjustable idlers make fitting the timing belt guide difficult as the belt does not wrap around the crank sprocket quite as much (takes a different angle off of it on the left side).

This will be a tight fit due to bulky fittings, however, the new fittings coming in should help. This fitting clears, but doesn't allow much flex for the short return line which was the biggest reason for ordering different fittings.

#507 · (Edited)

A little more progress tonight. I am a picture whore, but it's help ease my mind later when I may have forgotten something or second guessed myself:

This one still cracks me up... He had a 50/50 shot though.

Freshly cleaned and tested ID1000's. As noted in post #442, ID ended up replacing one under warranty out of the kindness of their heart. They mean business when they want a matched set. The one that tested 'bad' was still more than good, but gave me a new injector to tighten it all up!