Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences
Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences

Old 06-16-09, 05:40 AM   #1
Boris
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: Tial44mm + HKS EL Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences

MY05 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi

OEM BBS Painted Millenium Jade Metallic + BBS Black Lug Nuts.

^ Winter Wheels/Tires

Goal for the car:

I had bought this car back in late 2007 and have gone through many phases with it. First I wanted to drive it stock, and leave it be. Then I wanted to be the fastest stock turbo (VF39) STi out there, with added motivation when downsti ran his 11.7, and now I just want to have the best overall STI to my liking that is reliable, looks good, and performs well. Usually, these 3 options are hard to come by, especially with the more modified specimen of the cars. This is of course my own opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Phases of the car.

It is important to look back and reflect on everything that you have done to the car, so I will break it down into these different phases of how my STi has been. Some modifications I am very happy about, others, not so much.

Phase 1:STOCK
Stock was the most carefree I have been about the car. It had very low miles (30k) and was a very nice looking car, and one of the few STi's around at the time in my area. The car came with Silver BBS standard, and was a head turner in it's stock form. The only mods that got done on the car were Window Tints and I debadged the rear.

Phase 2: Rice

This was an interesting turn in the STi's life. I had been setting aside a couple dollars in between monthly payments on the STi, and well, I decided to fork it over on some mods.
I first dove into the engine mods of the car. I had gotten a Protune from AMR and made 309whp/330 wtq with very minimal mods (APS 65mm, Invidia DP, Forge BPV, Catback) and had a best time of 12.9 on that setup at the drag strip.
At that time, I also decided to start doing some exterior modifications, and those well, I regret to this day. I swapped a trunk with my buddy with a wingless WRX, and at first I thought it looked great, but then I had to get rid of it. I also had the Vortex Generator on the roof of the car () and looking back at these pictures, jesus, what the hell was I thinking?! Needless to say, the only things that remain on the car from this era is the Downpipe, Forge BPV and the Bluebatmobile Taillight Overlays. I ended up having a REAL V-limited Front Lip, but unfortunately cracked it on a curb. I had gotten a Poly-urethane Replica immediately afterwards....

Onto the pictures, beware, they hurt.

Phase 3: Recovering Dignity

After Driving around and embarrassing myself with the rice stage, I decided to get it together and bring the STI to where it needed to be. I ended up swapping back to an OEM trunk, and eventually went to a WRB Wingless trunk off an a WRX. The BBS endured a few colors, from Flat black to Gunmetal. At this time, the headlights were cleared and re-arranged as well as the Pillar-less front grill. A few engine mods were added and I made a lot more power. I was tuned at TheShopCt by Junior, and with the FMIC/fueling/plugs being put on by Jimmy and his team. I had excellent results, and was very happy with how the car was running. My Best time at the drag strip at this time was a 12.7, although I could have gone much better.

Onto the pictures..

Phase 4: Louder!
At this point, I wanted to get an EWG. The benefits of one were pretty simple to understand. My favorite way of explaining what an External Wastegate does is primarily make the hotside/exhaust side of your turbo..."bigger." The External Wastegate setup is certainly not cheap. I ended up sourcing all of my stuff at a very convenient and affordable price. P&L V Band 44mm Up-pipe + dumptube and a Tial 44mm Wastegaste. Also with this, I ended up going with a Hallman MBC. The car was protuned by John Visconti on theShopct's dyno dynamics.During this stage of the car, I got my timing belt done, as well as other maintenance on the car.

For those of you wondering what the EWG Sounds like on my car, this is what it sounded like last year.
https://www.youtube.com/v/a_kqyO4L0BY
Here are a few pictures of this setup....

Phase 5: Tightening up the rest of the car

Tightening up the rest of the car involved the one area of the car that I hadnt touched. Suspension. The problem that I ran into when doing the suspension work, is for the coilovers, I didnt do enough research on them. My Stock struts were more than blown, and I wanted something to look good and perform well. I got sucked into the BC racing craze, and well sooner then later, I had a set waiting to be put on in my garage. I started with the coilovers and after that was done, I was pretty happy with the outcome. Anything felt tighter than the OEM Blown Struts. Here are some pictures of the car with the coilovers on for the first time!

Phase 6:2005 STi Limited?

The beauty of the limited is to have a car that performs like an STI but is easier to live with. I had all the parts I could. IN this phase of the car, I tightened everything up. From all aspects. I got a really great brake setup (DBA, Motul, Project Mu, Goodrdige) and I got new swaybars (Whiteline 24/24), New endlinks (Kartboy), new Bushings, TIC Holy Shift Kit, etc.
At this point, the car was at where I wanted it. It had the subtle JDM Flavor, along with performance.

Phase 7: Current State (2012)
Attached Thumbnails
Boris' MY05 STi. / Sold. FD RX7 goodness commences-iwsti-journal-thumbnail-jpg  

Last edited by Boris; 11-01-16 at 07:09 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-09, 06:02 AM   #2
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Engine Modifications

Current Engine Mods

Goals for the Engine:

From anyone who has followed this journal from it's inception, I have wanted to chase the Stock Turbo Record for the longest time. Well finally, when there was a slight glimmer, my VF39 Turbo died!

My goal was to create the best stock turbo car, until it blew.

My car has incredible spool, and top end for days for a VF39. Unfortunately, now that it's not working properly, we have a new setup on our hands. I will identify it accordingly.

TurboXS Intake
TurboXS FMIC
Forge BPV
Invidia Downpipe
P&L Up-pipe with V Band
Tial 44mm External Wastegate
HKS Equal Length Header
Hallman Manual Boost Controller
GMS Catback Exhaust
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Perrin AfterMaf Hose
Perrin Catchcan
Koyo Radiator
Gimmick Radiator Hoses
OEM Subaru Blue Coolant
OEM Thermostat
Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
ID1000 Injectors
Top Feed Conversion
HTA Green

Junior Tuned

^ Still under construction, because i'm missing a lot.

Last edited by Boris; 03-15-12 at 07:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-09, 04:21 AM   #3
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Exterior Modifications

Current Exterior Modifications

Goal for the Exterior:

Understated, but subtle signs of modification.

As you can see from the current mod list there are a bunch of parts that are available straight from Subaru themselves, whether on our shores or overseas. I wanted this car to be an STI that should have been a trim level (more or less). Ive gone through quite a few different exterior setups, and what I have now, I am very pleased with.

Paint: World Rally Blue (Super Rare )
Window Tint 20%
Custom Carbon Fiber Scoop delete
GTSPEC Carbon Fiber VLimited Front Lip + STi Plaque
Carbign Craft Rear License Plate Garnish
OEM Headlights Cleared/Housings Painted Black (reversed turn and aux. lights)
Pillarless and Paint-matched front grill
Totsubo Swivel Front License Plate Mount (40+mph it swivels)
SUBARU JDM Rainguards
SUBARU JDM Rear Spats (05-07)
SUBARU OEM IMPREZA Trunk, shaved, paint-matched (No Keyhole)
SUBARU OEM STI Limited Rear Lip Spoiler
SUBARU OEM STi Diffuser (06-07)
BlueBatmobile Light Smoke Rear Taillight Overlays (Reverse and Turn Signal)

Trunk/Spats/Lip Spoiler

Front 3/4

Other Side

Spats/Trunk Pre Shaving

JDM Rainguards

Headlight Mod... When the I set the lights to Auxiliary this is what they look like.

Shaved Trunk+ License Plate Garnish

Totsubo Mount Up Close

Totsubo Mount in ACTION

Headlights Close-Up

Front End

Custom Scoop Delete (REAL CARBON FIBER)

Last edited by Boris; 04-19-12 at 10:23 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-09, 12:06 PM   #4
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Interior Modifications

Current Interior Modifications

Goal for the Interior:

My goal for the interior was very simple. Being that the Center Console of the 2005 STi was newly remodeled, it was fairly easy to make it look good. As seen from some of my exterior mods, I loved the Limited STi interior. I wanted to make my STi's interior like a limited but with my own twist. After a few change-ups in the interior, This is what I have settled on and with the addition of a few gauges I have laying around, this is pretty much where I will leave it.

Heres the Current Modlist of the interior....

WC Lathewerks TiSS Shift Knob
Flat Black Center Console, Vents, Ashtray pocket.
Black HVAC Decals
JDM/STI Limited Red Hazard Button
JPM Coachworks Shifter Boot
JPM Coachworks E-Brake Boot
Authentic Autometer Dual Gauge Pod
AEM Digital Boost Gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge
Pioneer AVIC U-130BT
LED Interior Conversion (LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS)
Autospeed Dead Pedal

AEM Gauges/Autometer Gauge Bezel

General Interior

WC Lathewerks knob + JPM shift boot

More..

Last edited by Boris; 03-07-12 at 03:15 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-29-09, 12:12 PM   #5
FORCFED
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 04 AW STI
Fav Mod: Moore Performance Turbo Back Exhaust
My Subaru Parts for sale

FORCFED is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bfed's STI going under extreme makeover!

Nice looking car. I have always wanted to do the limited trunk.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-29-09, 12:15 PM   #6
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Reserved for editing.

Last edited by Boris; 03-06-12 at 06:39 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-11-09, 07:21 AM   #7
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Suspension/Brakes

Suspension/Drivetrain

Goal for the Suspension:

As someone who wasn't so easily swayed to doing suspension things, I think once I got a taste of it, I was hooked. Subaru leaves a lot to be desired as far as the stock suspension, as well as leaving oddball things out in the drive train. My ultimate goal is to ensure that the car performs well as it can. I think that my suspension setup currently, is as well balanced and daily driver friendly as you can get, but still being able to take turns like a heathen. Enjoy the modlist!

BC Coilovers (Set up by me, and wow, they actually ride nice...)
Whiteline 24mm Front Swaybar
Whiteline 24mm Rear Swaybar
Kartboy Front Endlinks with Spacer (For use with the Whiteline Front Swaybar)
Kartboy Rear Endlinks
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
Kartboy Rear Stay Shifter Bushings
Turn-In Concepts Linkage Bushings
Turn-IN Concepts Pivot Bushings
Whiteline Rear Diff Support Lock Bushings
Turn-in Concepts Tranny Crossmember Bushings
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy Pitchstop Mount

Brakes

Goals for the Brakes:

The Stock brakes on the STi are excellent. The Brembo rotors + Pad combo generate a ton of stopping force, but also generate a ton of Brake Dust. As I wore into the rotors with each different pad, I started fresh, and was able to compile a brake setup that is very efficient and fade free, but also in a package that can be bought with almost any vendor.

This current setup that I have is nothing groundbreaking, but it delivers the right amount of braking force that I feel comfortable with. In Comparison, the DBA rotor was a few pounds lighter than the OEM Brembo's, and that to me was worth it.

DBA Slotted Rotors Front and Rear
Project Mu Bforce Pads
Goodridge SS Brake Lines Front and Rear
Motul Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid

Last edited by Boris; 03-15-12 at 07:25 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-24-09, 11:45 AM   #8
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

FMIC goes in next friday. I'm very excited.

is there any drawbacks to cutting the bumper beam?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-01-09, 07:28 AM   #9
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Thank You to:

These are my personal thank you's in regards to who has helped me on this long journey with my 2005 STi. Remember, these are all PERSONAL Experiences. There are too many keyboard warriors who like to follow the trend of badmouthing people without real experience.

You can choose to use these vendors/shops/people or you don't have to, however, being that I am incredibly picky with who touches my car, or what parts go on it, these following companies/people/vendors I would recommend to ANYONE.

These are in no particular order, but can be found all over the internet:

TheShopct: The convenience factor of having a high performance shop in your hometown certainly aids in getting your car to have the mods done on it in a timely fashion, as well as a convenient fashion, but this isn't the only reason I like theShopCT. I went to a different tuner/shop before I went to theShop, and the reason WHY I chose to do business with them (theShopct) is because Jimmy K, the owner is a completely straight forward guy. He will tell you if he doesn't like something, no bull**** here. I prefer this method than any other method as there is no sugar coating anything. Sure, there have been some instances on the forums, or some he said/she said nonsense involving them, but I never had anything go wrong with this place. I will continue to go here for things probably for as long as I am modifying cars. John Visconti also tunes there, and he has tuned my car before and he is a very competent tuner. Usually he has access to some of the latest features in the Ecutek game, and if you want to be ahead of the curve, then he is the guy to go to. You can also find him on nasioc @ [email protected] or builtsti.
The Shop

TachMotorWorks: I am a newbie to the TMW place, as I only went there for the first time this past weekend. I am certainly impressed. I was the oddball out, as I was only 1 out of the 2 Subaru's there for the whole weekend. They seem to be primarily an Mitsubishi Specialized place, but all of their staff are great, and Lucky, the owner is an excellent person to deal with. Little things like how thorough they are about setting up the car on the dyno or how even when there was an issue these guys helped out a lot. The distance sucks for me, but I'd recommend them to anyone in the area.
Tach Motor Works

JrTuned: Nothing but good things to say about Jr's tuning. I'd highly recommend anyone to get a tune from him. He is out and about all over the US. Junior2jz on Nasioc.

Coachworks Bodyshop: Great for all my body work that needs to be done. They are located in Orange, CT.

TehClap: Drew is a good friend, and he knows everything there is to know about wheels/suspensions/tires. Drew has certainly elevated my knowledge on the subject, as well as given my aspirations for a part of my car that I intended to not really touch. He has a great blog and he is absolutely one of the greatest resources on this Forum.
ww.t3hclap.com

RallySport Direct: If any of you have visited their site, you will know that they have an incredibly balanced online store, as well as their presence on the Forums are an excellent addition. I never hesitate when I order from there.
RallySportDirect.com - Performance Car Parts Online

Cygnus Performance: Geoff is a great guy to talk to in terms of doing suspension related things. He is very knowledgeable, and will certainly help out at any depths to make sure the customer is satisfied. He is also on the forums and can be found in the suspensions threads.
Cygnus Performance | Late Model Import Parts STi, WRX, Evo

Oakos Automotive: Helpful, fast, diligent. I may not be their highest paying customer, but they sure did hook me up on my Koyo Radiatior. I'd also recommend this place as well.
OAKOS - WRX, STi, EVO 8/9/X, S2000, Forester XT & More Performance Parts

[email protected]: Josh probably moves more volume than any other vendor. He is quick to respond and usually gets shipments out asap. His reputation speaks for itself!
ImportImageRacing | Discount Performance Parts | Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda Import Image Racing

There are others that have helped me as well, numerous vendors that we all know of as a household name, and hopefully you will see their help somewhere in my Member Journal.

Last edited by Boris; 03-15-12 at 08:19 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-09, 07:33 AM   #10
Boris
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: my WRB 05.. slowly turning into the beast.

yay turboxs front mount intercooler!!!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement