piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 05-29-09, 01:57 PM   #61
scby rex
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: 5x114.3 swap
My Subaru Parts for sale

scby rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/28 Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
I also figured out why I've been hitting so many cones...can only get away with that so many times.
What did you figure out about cones? Youve been knocking them out of the box?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-09, 06:16 PM   #62
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (5/29 Update)

Yes, knocking them out of the box and running them completely over. That statement was in reference to the picture below it where I'm right on the cone.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-09, 08:41 PM   #63
jordanretro1223
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Stance GR+
My Subaru Parts for sale

jordanretro1223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (5/29 Update)

Nice journal Josh!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-09, 09:29 AM   #64
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks! I'll try to make sure I bring it out to the next meet.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-01-09, 08:30 PM   #65
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Updated with video from 5/24/09.

Philly Event #2 at CBP 5-24-09 Video by Luster - MySpace Video
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-02-09, 01:05 PM   #66
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Event #2 at Fed Ex Field on May 31st, 2009

Results: 5/31 Results

Video: No working camera, no video

After taking the first place in STU at the first WDCR Event by a VERY slim 0.001s, it was time to try and see what I could do to try and extend that lead a little bit. Brian Hair, who finished 2nd at the last event, would not be driving the M3 in STU this week and is only planning a couple more events in the class due to wanting to drive a multitude of different cars. Mike Neary on the other hand was back in full force with a working clutch in the Evo. It was going to be a good battle.

After last week's downshifting disaster, I was hoping to get another chance to practice as I expect that I'll need to do some shifting at the FL Tour, and Nats for that matter. I got my wish on the Ian Baker designed course, with two stretches that were long/fast enough to get solidly into 3rd gear. Now to properly pick my downshift points.

First run went fairly well and the car felt great! Using the same rebound settings in the rear as last week, on the Fed Ex lot the car had a slight bit more oversteer primarily on the off-camber stuff...in a good way. It was a little looser on the first run than the subsequent three, but still felt great throughout. I think I've found my happy place with the car setup. But despite how good the car felt, the black hole generated by my rear black wheels came back and sucked in a cone coming down into the showcase turn (please see photo below). But it was the first run, so not too worried...yet. The good news was that my first run time was a 62.084 +1 which put me about 1.0s ahead of Mike in Raw time. I knew that wasn't going to last long.

On the second run I had Greg Olsen (who managed to top the PAX sheets on Sunday, with slightly wet conditions in the first heat) ride along with me and tell me what I sucked at and how the car felt. Interestingly, he thought the car felt good but needed a bit more oversteer...but I think that's more of a preference kind of thing. I definitely like a hint of understeer in the car. Before the run we discussed the whole shifting issue, where he convinced me (and I'm paraphrasing) that while 2nd might be "better" in a slower section right after the fast section that you need it, there may not be a good spot to downshift and therefore hold 3rd a little longer (especially if it's a speed maintence section) and downshift when you're under braking or in a very slow section. At least that's what I got out of it and it seemed to work...except that my second run time was actually slower than my first run. Finished with a 62.200 but clean and good enough to put me in 1st place! That is until Mike came through with a clean 62.174 shortly afterwards. I knew that gap wasn't going to hold.

After the feedback from Greg and feeling more comfortable with the shifting points, along with a better feel for the course, I knew it was time to put down my best run on my third shot at the course. Gotta get used to only having three runs in a couple of weeks, might as well start now. Everything on course felt great and it seemed like I hit most of my marks, at least as best as I could tell since I didn't have any video to review (stupid camera). I know I left time out there, but couldn't really tell you where. After giving it what I felt was all I had, I came across the line with a much improved 61.556 clean (two in a row) which was good enough for first in STU! That is until Mike came across the line shortly afterwards...again...with a slightly better time of 61.447 on his third run. Only a tenth back from first with one more run, but I had no idea where the time was at.

For the final run I decided to just try going balls to the wall and push as hard as I could everywhere I could to see if that would work. Yeah, it didn't. Managed to nail (not tip over) two cones on the way to an overdriven 61.985 +2. Mike, having heard over the radio that he had the win with my botched run, went all out on his last run to the tune of a 62.029 +2. But regardless, the win was his by a tenth, with Mike finishing 4th overall in PAX. Nice driving Mike!

Final result: 2nd place in STU and 6th overall in PAX out of 227. Finally, my first top 10 finish at a (dry) WDCR Event! Even though I finished 2nd on Sunday, I still hold the STU season series with 21 points to Mike's 19 points thanks to his 3rd place finish at the first event having to drive a borrowed car. Should be a great battle this year and looking forward to it.

Definitely happy overall with my performance and still have some things to work on, but going in the right direction. The wifey was kind enough to let me run with Autocrosser's Inc. at Fed Ex Field this weekend so I'll have one more event before the FL Tour and more practice on the Fed Ex lot before the DC Pro. I REALLY owe my wife for this one...5 weekends in a row, including a Tour and Pro. I wonder if she found a boyfriend and that's why she doesn't mind me being out...need to figure that one out. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy all the coneage.

On a side note, I must say that I am absolutely loving this car and the STU class...what a frickin' blast!

So that's where that cone on the first run came from!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-09, 03:50 AM   #67
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (6/2 Update)

Nice pics Josh! In that last one I think I see a cone tipping over and on its way down. did that one ever fall?

Old 06-04-09, 05:41 PM   #68
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (6/2 Update)

The one tipping didn't, but the one I ran over did.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-09, 07:22 PM   #69
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road

I see your still killing cones huh? but Im sure your also still kicking ass in points. Seems like youre enjoying your decision to get an STi.

Old 06-05-09, 04:27 AM   #70
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Absolutely, I'm having a blast! Best purchase I've ever made.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement