piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 04-28-09, 08:14 AM   #51
TB_
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Seat time!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TB_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/28 Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
942? Uhh...I'm lost on that one. But I'll copy/paste the Top 20 PAX results.
Huh... check out this link for how we do our results (select an actual event from the drop-down instead of Spring Series)...

Arizona Region SCCA Solo Event Results

Its basically this:

(Raw Time) x (PAX Factor of .836 for STU) = PAX Time <--Standard in all regions

(PAX Time) / (Lowest PAX Time of Day) = PAX % or score

This way you can actually compare your results between events, since you are looking at a percentage of the top (PAX) driver and the different "lap" times between events are taken out of the equation. I started in the high 800's and am hovering in the low 900's with a best of I think 927 so far. Hopefully the coilovers help!

I dunno, just a different way of doing it I guess...

Nice results!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-09, 08:29 AM   #52
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/28 Update)

So you're looking to see what percent of the top PAX time you finish in? If so, shouldn't it be (Lowest PAX time) / (Your PAX time) = Score ? Also no matter which method you choose, shouldn't the top person essentially be a 1,000? Didn't look like it in the results you posted.

Lowest PAX time = 41.213
My PAX time = 41.986

My time/Lowest time = 1.019 (rounded)
Lowest time/My time = 0.982 (rounded)

So it's either a "Score" of 1,019 or 982, take your pick.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 08:30 AM   #53
TB_

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Maybe I typed it backwards, but yes, the 982. Nice!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-09, 08:36 AM   #54
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I thought so! But if that's the case, why is it in the points off to the right on those AZ results are there people with above 1,000? Weird.

Thanks!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 08:41 AM   #55
TB_

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

If you're looking at the Spring Series, then that's the total for the series (2850,, 2790, etc).

If you're looking at an actual event from the drop down box in the upper left (4-5-09, for example), then anything over 1000 is a Time-Only run (fun run) where that driver's TO PAX time was faster than the 1000 (top PAX) competition run of the day. Being faster in the fun runs doesnt change the 1000 PAX in competition runs. It just means it took that person those extra runs to get their sh!t together lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 09:07 AM   #56
uncle lewie
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2009 Legacy GT SWP
My Subaru Parts for sale

uncle lewie is on a distinguished road

Are the NNJR SCCA events to far for you?

Just wondering, because on May 9th they are running the auto-x on the e-town road course. I bet you would enjoy this event.

Just a suggestion.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 09:19 AM   #57
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Englishtown is about 2.5 hours away for me, although the road course/autocross could be worth it, especially considering it's going to be a while until the next event. We'll see, but I don't really see it happening unfortunately.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 10:10 AM   #58
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I also figured out why I've been hitting so many cones...can only get away with that so many times.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 10:12 AM   #59
uncle lewie
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2009 Legacy GT SWP
My Subaru Parts for sale

uncle lewie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
Englishtown is about 2.5 hours away for me, although the road course/autocross could be worth it, especially considering it's going to be a while until the next event. We'll see, but I don't really see it happening unfortunately.
Yeah a 2.5 hour drive when they start running cars at 10am would mean you would have to leave very early AM.

Unfortunate, but I would love to see the car run.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-09, 11:41 AM   #60
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Philly SCCA Event #2 at Citizen's Bank Park on May 24th, 2009

Results: Final Results, #2 - Philadelphia Region SCCA 2009 Summer Event 2b - Sun 05-24-2009

Video: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=58336209

Well, it's been a LONG time since the last event, nearly an entire month. But man was it great to finally get back out again, and CBP and Philly Region are a great combination to get back in the swing of things. Not only is the lot fantastic, but the course was set up really well, the people are top notch, and the competition is amazing. Only wish I could run in Philly more often. But I digress.

I was really looking forward to this event, primarily since it was a chance to see how poorly I would do against Chuck Norris (aka, Corey Ridgick). Seeing as how he's kind of good and stuff, this would provide another good measuring stick. Among other STU notables at the event were Jake (s1mpsons), Iman (bdi), Adam Fuhs, and Cy Lee. Definitely some great STU competition.

And before we get too far into this, I'll list my excuses now: 1) first event in a month, 2) second event in the dry on the Stones, 3) first course I've run in the STi requiring 3rd gear (and subsequent downshifts). I think that should cover it.

The course we ran on Sunday was just absolutely amazing. It was a long higher speed course requiring shifts to 3rd in three spots, some critical braking zones, high/low speed sweepers, pretty much a little of everything and right around 70 second times (Thanks Andre!). I knew of at least one spot I would be in 3rd gear, but the other two spots I thought I could get away with 2nd. More on that later.

For my first run of the day I just wanted to get in a nice clean run on the books with a halfway decent time, as by know you've realized I have terrible cone issues. I even put a cone decal on the car thinking "if I'm always carrying a cone anyways, that should keep them away!" About 10 seconds into the run - crunch - yep, that was a cone. And on the slowest part of the entire course, just knocked it over with the rear tire. Of course this was unknown to me until after I finished the course. Finished the run with a 70.598 plus the one cone, and about 0.3s off of Corey in Raw time which was where I wanted to be. I could clean up that one cone.
Second run was just a disaster. Hit the same cone in the slow section again, then on the back side didn't look ahead, broke late, got REALLY far behind, hit another cone...and then just gave up. A 72.573 +2 was the rough result. Corey on the other hand improved down to a 69.741 including a nice slide, which would end up being his fastest time of the day.

Needed to get that clean one in now so I could really go for it on the 4th run. I was extra patient in the slow section and made sure I didn't hit that same cone. But what I failed to do was get through the next section of slaloms cleanly. Sure enough in the next to last slalom cone - splat - turned in just a little too soon. Now on my third run I was really picking up some good speed in the fast sections and banging all over the rev limiter in those spots. I figured I should have shifted, but wanted to see what I could do without it. End result was a 70.331 +1 so my Raw time came down, but I was still leaving a lot on course. Corey managed to run a slightly slower time with a +2 added on, his only dirty run of the day - one of the major differences between a top level driver and myself. Gotta work on that. In addition to Corey sitting at the top of the timesheets, Jake Namer came in on his third run improving by nearly a second down to a 70.129 clean to put him in second.

Time to put up or shut up and I needed a clean run. I spoke with Jake after our third runs and we discussed shifting. He mentioned that he was up/down shifting three times on course. I figured I was losing time in those spots, so lets see what happens. After being dirty all day I was a little extra careful in the turnaround and following slalom. If I was going to hit another cone, it wasn't going to be one of those! I then get to the first high speed section and shift to 3rd...definitely a huge improvement in speed! Hey, that actually worked! But now I needed to downshift, and that didn't really go so well. Downshifted while trying to brake/turn at the same time and got a little offline and late on the entry. Get to the next high speed spot and shift to 3rd...another vast improvement in speed! Dang it, that pesky downshifting again...and again I screwed it up and got a little offline and lost the speed I gained. Welcome to the life of the STi, gotta get used to that. Finished my final run CLEAN with a 70.661 putting me about 0.5s off of Jake and 0.9s off of Corey. I lost so much time with the poor downshifts and should have been right there. But at least I learned a lot that day, the question is whether or not I will retain it.

Final result: 3rd place in STU and 11th overall in PAX out of 174. Pretty good overall finish, but definitely left a lot out there. But I know that there's some good potential there to improve, just have to do it. And congrat to Iman (bdi) on his second rerun managing to Raw time Corey. Had it not been for that stupid cone (and sixth run to everyone else's four ) he would have taken the win. Great driving there, along with great driving from Jake! We're all going to have a great battle at the Finger Lakes Tour and the DC Pro next month.

Note to self: Learn to downshift correctly! Today was my lesson, so I learned something there. Also Sunday I learned that it pays to play with the car a little. I'm always afraid of changing the setup as I'm afraid of messing it up. But I played with the rear rebound and the car had a much more balanced feel. I need to remember to play with the car more. You'll never improve it if you never mess with it.

Next event is this coming weekend May 31st at Fed Ex Field with WDCR. Hopefully I can take what I've learned and add some more solid points for the season STU championship. Should be a good battle as Mike Neary has the new clutch in the Evo with about a month of driving on it, so should be a blast. Unfortunately there will be no video next month as my camera bit the dust this past weekend, hence the reason I don't have video at the moment (had to borrow a friend's camera). Hopefully by the FL Tour I should have something.

Last edited by piknockout; 06-01-09 at 08:30 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement