piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 03-29-09, 07:05 PM   #41
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto

Thanks Kevin! I don't know about the car to beat, I think Mike just wasn't being aggressive enough. I've been able to drive fairly decent in the rain in the past, but not really trying to get too far ahead of myself until we can get some nice dry competition. Really appreciate the kind words!

BTW...will you and Ben be in skirts and pom-poms at the next event? Hilarious, thanks again!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-09, 07:59 AM   #42
kts262
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Fav Mod: AST 4100s + Vorshlag camber plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

kts262 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
BTW...will you and Ben be in skirts and pom-poms at the next event? Hilarious, thanks again!
If that's what it takes to help motivate you to beat Mike then yes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-09, 09:31 AM   #43
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Practice Event at Fed Ex Field on March 29, 2009

Video: WDCR Practice Event 3-29-09 Video by Luster - MySpace Video

Results (must sign up for a login for WDCR): User Log In

This event was supposed to be the day to test out the new RE-11's and see if they're worth the hype. But unfortunately Mother Nature did not agree with me, with rain falling all day on Saturday and into Sunday morning. When I arrived at the stadium, there was enough fog around so that the other end of the lot wasn't quite visible. The only benefit was that it stopped raining when I got there and everything was just wet. So no real testing of the RE-11's, but it was going to be a good day to test out some wet/rain settings, especially since it was a practice event...time to mess with stuff! To add insult to injury, STU would run in the first heat of the day...yay.

To setup the car, I turned the rebound down one click on all four corners from where it was last weekend and adjusted tire pressures to 34psi all around and left the DCCD in Auto. On the first run of the day the rear end wanted to kick out every time I got on the throttle, to the point that I was constantly having to countersteer to keep it going remotely where I wanted to. I also continued my dirty streak and knocked over two cones. First run time was a 61.558 +2 cones.

After the on-throttle oversteer nightmare of the first run, I decided to play with the DCCD a little bit, putting it two clicks back from full lock. It's a practice event, what better time to mess with stuff? I also decided to drop pressures down to 32psi all around. On this run, the car felt much more controlled and easier to point where I wanted to while still getting a little bit of rear kick out on throttle. Felt like a good balance overall. Some of the standing water was starting to go away and my overall comfort level with the car in the wet was getting better. Second run time was a 60.945 +1 cone...still need to keep it clean.

The third run was the time to go for it. The pavement was continuing to get better and I was continuing to feel better in the car. Left the DCCD on two clicks from full lock for the rest of the day. The car felt great, I had some good lines for the most part, and I was pushing the car hard. So hard in fact, and I was so excited that I nailed the next to last cone before the finish! So frickin' mad, why can't I keep it clean? I have issues. To make it worse, the time had dropped down to a 59.643 +1 cone and I wasted it in the final section.

On to the fourth and final run. I've had 6 consecutive dirty runs including the prior event. It was time to get serious and make it happen, especially with the course slightly improving with each run. I got fairly aggressive and really pushed the car, and in doing so got myself off line in the showcase turn, not getting behind the final cone and screwing up the next offset section (hence my disapproval at this point in the video). But at this point I just needed something clean and kept pushing it. Up to the final few cones I knew I was clean, and after coning that section on the previous run I took it a little slower through there to ensure the clean run and hope it was decent. Final result was a 59.557 CLEAN...FINALLY! The extra benefit, the time was FTD for the morning heats running in the wet!

The result: 1st in STU out of 11 and 23rd in PAX out of 172. Needless to say, once the sun came out and the temperatures rose in the afternoon and the course dried up, people started flying. Ian Baker in his STS CRX raw timed me by 1.5 seconds for example...oh yeah, and he happens to be pretty good.

Overall, still really happy with the car and with the way it feels. The next event for me is on April 11th with Autocrosser's Inc. at Fed Ex Field, hopefully it will be dry and I can have a chance to see what the RE-11's are all about.

A quick pic of our first heat conditions. And hey, I'm actually looking ahead!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-09, 01:05 PM   #44
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Autocrosser's Inc. Event #2 at Fed Ex Field on April 11, 2009

Video: Autocrosser's Inc. Autocross Event #2 at Fed Ex Field 4/11/09 Video by Luster - MySpace Video

Results: http://autocrossersinc.org/uploads/2009AI2.pdf

After getting the chance to drive the STi and the RE-11's in the rain, I was ready to give them a chance in the dry. Watching weather.com all week, Saturday kept bouncing between rain/no rain/rain/no rain for the longest time. Then on they day before the event, the call was definitely for rain, but ending by 10am. Since STU was running in the 3rd heat, I had a solid shot at some dry pavement, right? Oh how Mother Nature hated us on Saturday, with high 40's, rain, and high winds. What a crappy day to be outside, especially considering how nice Friday AND Sunday were. Oh well, time to get some more wet weather driving practice in. Hopefully that should come in handy in the future.

First run of the day was a chance to test out the course and figure out where the fast stuff was and where the tricky stuff was. Walking the course it was clear that Sam Strano is an evil course designer, would have been a blast in the dry. I completely overshot a couple of offset sections near the end of the course on that first run, but came through with a nice 74.862 +2. No biggie, still three runs to go and plenty of time to make up with some corrections. Second run, I screw up the same two offset sections again...and again another +2 on a 75.057 run. At least I'm consistent?

After screwing up the same section twice, I finally had it in my head to setup better for these sections. And this third run would be my fastest RAW time, setting up the offsets well, slowing down where I needed to, but definitely slowed down in a couple of other spots. Time coming across the line was a 74.789, not much faster but I'll take a clean run...or not. Ended with a +1 on the LAST cone before the finish. Really? WTF?!

Final run was time to get a clean one in as my RAW times were good enough, slow it down a bit and be more careful. Got it. Come through the finish with a 75.542 announced clean! Well, initially at least. Apparently hit another frickin' cone somewhere on the back side.
So now my number of coned runs for 2009 has drastically increased...not a single clean one out of four, taking me to 2 of 15 runs clean, or 13% for the year and 2 of 4 events with no clean runs. Apparently I have some things to work on, but I'm going to say it's getting used the extra width of the STi...right?

Final results put me in 2nd in STU out of 7, losing to my co-driver Shane who drove the car very well for his first time in the STi, congrats on the win! Thanks to the wet conditions, it was a Street Touring kind of day in PAX, still finishing in 7th of 104 in PAX even with the cone. Without that one stupid frickin' cone I would have finished 1st in STU and 3rd in PAX. Next time. My goal for the next event is to run at least 2 clean runs, doubling my clean run output for the year.

Next event is on April 26th at Fed Ex with WDCR, first points event of the year. Now's the time to make it count and start really focusing on driving the car fast, but clean.

Yeah, I know I'm on the wrong line in this pic, but it was first run.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-09, 08:26 PM   #45
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road

I love your AutoX Reviews. Very entertaining. the video was funny at the end.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-09, 09:22 PM   #46
scottjua
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

scottjua is on a distinguished road

nice journal! And.. nice car/mods. Seems like you're really enjoying the car and your auto x season.

How was the rear end on the last event for you? Still wanting to step out on you? Have you tried different tire pressures front vs. rear? I tend to like about 2lbs less in the rear than the fronts, and with my sway settings this seems to be a perfect set up for my preferences toward a neutral setup.

Then again, I take mine to the track and no auto X, so not sure if neutralizing the handling would hamper or help you more...??? It's been about 7 years since I have been auto crossing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-09, 07:26 AM   #47
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks JZ, appreciate the commentary. I'm not exactly a writer, but I do my best. Going back and watching the video at home after my runs is usually entertaining. "I really said that? Oh well, should make entertaining video." I've said/done much worse.

Scott, the car was having issues stepping out when on the throttle, which had more to do (I think) with how the power was being applied F/R than it did with tire pressures. The car was actually understeering a tad in spots, where actually upping the pressures slightly in the rear may have helped a little better on rotation after turn in. But next time I think I'm actually going to turn the rebound down a little more in the front to try and gain some additional front end grip and that should provide a little less understeer and better lift oversteer...I think. I'll have to test that out next time it rains...which hopefully won't be for a while.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 08:20 AM   #48
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/11 Update)

WDCR Event #1 at Fed Ex Field on April 26th, 2009

Results: 4/26 Results

Video: WDCR Event #1 April 26, 2009 Video by Luster - MySpace Video

Finally, a dry event for a change. Not only dry, but hot too...who ordered 90+ degree weather in April? Either way I'll take it over 49 degrees and rain any day!

First time running the RE-11's in the dry and had no idea what to do with pressures/temps. Time to start testing pressures and figure it out. Knowing the RE-11's like higher pressures, I started out running 40/40 to see what would happen and tweak from there. Unfortunately I suck at car setup and wouldn't adjust pressures much from there, but ended up running 42/40 for the final two runs and the car felt pretty good, other than the understeer in the showcase turn and the left hander coming down to the mini slalom before the finish, both which were off-camber downhill spots, so I think it's more to do with the topography of the land than the car, but who knows.

On another note, Neary's (Danny's) Evo blew the clutch last weekend and there wasn't time to put enough miles on the new clutch, so Mike was co-driving with Vell in his STi for this event. Being that Mike wasn't used to the STi I was hoping this would be a chance to rack up some early points for the season.

My dad was in town visiting for the weekend so he got a chance to ride in the new car. He previously rode along in the Spec V, but needless to say this is a little bit different. I just told him not to piss in my seats. So he rode along on the first run, which ended up being fairly solid with a 50.483 including temporarily forgeting where the course went along the back side. The car felt pretty good overall and did what I wanted it to do for the most part, so just needed to concentrate on driving. And believe it or not, the run was clean!!! If you've been following along, you know my coneage issues as of late, so this was a big deal at this point. First in STU after run 1.

Second run I decided to drop front pressures to 38 and I didn't spray the tires. Let's see what happens. Car felt pretty similar and I felt as if I drove better lines, but I wasn't aggressive enough with the gas. This particular course really rewarded being aggressive with the gas with some sections that could definitely be held WOT even through some slalom sections. I don't know exactly what happened, but my second run netted a 50.509, but a +1 in true Luster fashion. Not a big deal, but frustrating that I didn't drop any time. And to make things more interesting, Brian Hair co-driving an E46 M3 on 275 Kumho XS's came through with a clean 50.660 on his second run.

Third run, time to create some space between myself and Brian. Upped the front pressures to 42 and left the rear at 40, lets see how that does. Overall the run felt good, but I knew it could still be better. I was more aggressive with the throttle, but not as good on my line across the back section. Came through the line with a 50.223...CLEAN!!! I just doubled my number of clean runs from the previous 4 events. Sweet, but still not dropping much time. The run puts me in a better position in first place, then Brian comes in from his third run: a 50.239, but carrying 2 cones. I know it's hot outside, but it's definitely getting hotter with this pressure.
As I'm sitting in line to take my fourth run, Brian comes through in the M3 and I hear the time over the radio, a 50.224 putting him in a solid 2nd place as Mike had already completed his final run. With that, I knew I had the STU win before taking my final run! But wait, what was his time? OH SNAP! Just took the win by 0.001 seconds, the equivalent of 0.88" at 50mph. Wow, that's close. A great man once said it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning. In this case, by less than an inch. What a tight race.

But, I still had one final run to take and create a gap in the standings and put myself a little higher up in PAX. I'm going through the first half of the course and everything feels right on point. Get 3/4 of the way and I can feel that this is THE run, everything just feels right. Driving down the hill into the mini-slalom before the finish...and I hear something on the right side, a very familiar sound...the sound of a cone hitting the front bumper. I turned in just a little too early. Then I decided I would check my rearview mirror just to confirm. Yep it's down. And in the process of looking in my rearview I get distracted, turn in late making the left before the final cone, and get all offline and I'm really late making the right hander into the finish. That time was a 50.206 even with the screw up in the end. I know I had to have lost roughly a half second there, should have been in the 49's. Son of a @$$%%!!!

Fourth run video: The run that should have been Video by Luster - MySpace Video

Results: I can't really complain though, I'll take the 1st place in STU and the early points lead. Also managed to finish 14 in PAX out of 232 and only 0.773 PAX seconds out of 1st place, my highest/closest PAX finish for a dry WDCR event. Very happy with how the day went!

Unfortunately the next WDCR event on May 17th is being moved, so my next event won't be until May 31st with WDCR. An entire month without an event? This is going to suck. Anyways, looking forward to another chance to run in the dry and see how I can do against Neary running the right car. Should be some more good battles in the works.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 08:31 AM   #49
TB_
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Seat time!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TB_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/28 Update)

Nice! You should post your PAX scores (ie 942) as well as times/ranking. I realize this is heavily dependant on the caliber of National-level/hot-shoe drivers in your region, but I'm still curious as to how my unprepped car stacks up against your STU beast
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-28-09, 08:36 AM   #50
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/28 Update)

942? Uhh...I'm lost on that one. But I'll copy/paste the Top 20 PAX results.

Edit: That didn't work too well. You should be able to click on the results link above and scroll down to the bottom for PAX?

Last edited by piknockout; 04-28-09 at 08:39 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement